Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow enthusiasts and cruiser heads alike!

The other night I was restless and picked up a pen and note pad and decided to design my own back bumper with swinging hinge spare tire carrier for my 73 fj40. It’s a fairly simple design and its one I would like to be able to modify over time as I find that I might like another arm mounted on the other side to hold jerry cans and/or a high lift jack. You know, the essentials. This list could go on with inter changeable arms for a swinging bike rack or cooler rack.

A rough draft diagram picture is displayed on my site below

http://www.geocities.com/captahab18/1973fj40.htm

Again it is a very rough draft of the general idea/look of the bumper. I know it could use loads of improvement. I am still not really happy with the gate rod mechanism that will hold the hinged tire arm in place.

There are a few issues I have yet to over come before I can build this bad boy.

1st I have never welded but I am very keen to learn. I have heard its as easy as using a hot glue gun.

2nd I am unsure of the dimensions of the metal I should use. I have not yet determined what would give me the strength I am looking for either the main bumper bar or arms. Also I don’t know where the hell I can find the type of hinge I want. Will likely have to make it.

3rd How to bolt the bastard on? I know I couldn’t get my hands inside the main bar so I am so far having terrible ideas like cutting slits in the bottom just big enough for a couple of fingers holding a nut to slide in. Structurally this might weaken the main bar but then again it is pure steel. Similar problem faced with bolting the lights on.

I do not plan to do any towing with it but I think I would like to have some of those "pull my ass out of whatever im stuck in hooks." So i realize it will need to be pretty solid and well mounted. I dont know I need to think on it some more.

My goal for this bumper just for now is to hold up to a 33inch tire if necessary. And still give me access to the free ambulance door without having to swing open the tire. Any comments/ feed back would be great!

Thanks,

-Capt Ahab

Try not to make too much fun of me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Kief!

4x4 Labs looked like they make some really solid gear.

I think that using this home brew hairbrain bumper idea of mine for any means of pulling, towing, or using it to mount hooks on is probably not a great idea at this point. I would just be content with a soild tire carrier for the moment.

I have put some thought into vibrations and all the crazy jyrations. Hence me scraping the idea for the arm holding tire to come off the hinge at a 65 degree angle. I was really baffled on how to secure that. Thats why ive stuck with a very basic ninty degree arm that ive seen on other designs.

I've updated my design drafts of the bumper. Please take a look at them here http://www.geocities.com/captahab18/1973fj40.htm
and come back to comment!

-Ahab

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.