Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip to Colorado after I bought my CJ July 2001

About a year later I decided it was time to rebuild it. I built some new axles a front Dana 44 narrowed to 62” hub to hub and a rear Chrysler 9 ¼” narrowed to 60”. With 4:56 gears Detroit lockers and Moser alloy axles. Went spring over with some Skyjacker YJ springs a custom shackle reversal I built. Then I built some new bumpers, rear with a swing out spare tire and so on. I didn’t take many pics of the first build but here is a couple.

Then some new 38” Creepy Crawlers and some DIY bead-locks from Longfeild.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I went back to Colorado it worked real well and was real happy with it. But then I friend of mine talked me into going to Clayton, Oklahoma and within the 1st hour I was thinking of what I needed to change. So about 6 months latter I was tearing it apart. Here I go again with a throttle body 350, 700R trans, 3-speed monster box, Alcan front springs, TJ rear springs, custom 3 link and some new body armor.

Out with old getting ready for the new

Its still not going to be a hard-core rock crawler but it should be a real nice trail rig that my Family and myself will enjoy. With the 5.4 to 1 low range of the Monster Box and the auto trans it will be a lot easier for my wife and youngest son to drive on the trail.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My youngest son Trent and I found some time Saturday (June 24) to put the motor, trans and transfer case together and got it positioned in the frame and started building some motor mounts. It’s not much but a start.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to work on my Jeep over the weekend (July 22) and managed to get a cross-member /skid-plate built. It turned out pretty good. Here are some pics.

It only hangs 2 ½” below the frame. I could have set the motor higher in the frame and got it where it didn’t hang below the frame at all. But I think keeping the motor lower and keeping the weight as low as possible is the best way to go plus it helps to keep drive-shaft angle better too.

You can see how low I actually got the motor. I am running a high rise intake 1” air cleaner spacer on top of the throttle body and a 4” tall air cleaner and the top pf the air cleaner is still lower then the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The next phase I am going to build some skid protection to protect the trans, torque converter and the motors oil pan.

I completed building the motor mounts, cross members and skid plate. I will be able to move on to another area now. I think I will probably start on moving the front axle forward next.
Here are some pics of the skid plates.

Got the tube all bent and welded together for the motor and trans skid plate (Aug 5)

Plated the bottom with 3/16” plate

Bolted it back in place

Pic of the motor mount notice how I fish plated the frame and I added gussets to the bottom. Should be bullet proof

Only hangs 2 1/2” below the frame the original skid plate hung down 5 1/2”

Pic from underneath

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a little time tonight so I thought I would post up some progress pics. Here are some pics of the front suspensions. I have moved the front axle forward 5”. Everything on the front is just tacked welded right now. I will finish weld everything later once I ‘m sure that everything is the way I want it.

Pics of the high steer every thing is up high now with the tie rod and ram assist running behind the axle where there is no way it can be hit.

Pics of rear bump stops I had to custom machine the aluminum spacers. I milled slots around the top so that I could tighten them up using a spanner wrench.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is looking at the suspension from the rear if you look at the top of the coil springs top can see the bump stops. The rear axle has been moved back 3 ½” the wheel base is now 101 ½”.

Pic of it flexed out the rear tire is 48 ½”.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics of the rear crusher corners (sheet metal) check out my son Trent drilling out the boltholes for me.
FFA Future Fabricator of America.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bent the 1 ¾” tubing that welds around the wheel opening. Trent thought they made a cool pair of antlers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
truck looks really really good. I like the build

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
Fab said:
Pics of the rear crusher corners (sheet metal) check out my son Trent drilling out the boltholes for me.
FFA Future Fabricator of America.

Hard to become an FFA when he's blinded by shrapnel in the eye....put some Damn safety glasses on your kid will ya. It is fine for us adults to choose otherwise but we can still teach safety to our little ones....then when they're adults and they choose not to then that is their call.

Cool build up. Funny how it just explodes into a bigger project than you imagined at first.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheGusset said:
Corners came out great. Good Clean looking jeep, what color are you planning painting the corners?
Thanks. Painting them The same color as the Jeep orange

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
88flexj said:
Love the CJ. Post some action shots when it is finished.

Thanks man, Will do, it will probably be late winter to early spring before I get done.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Come on Devin.... You can get it done before then.. We need to go wheelin ASAP !!!:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Stinger124 said:
Come on Devin.... You can get it done before then.. We need to go wheelin ASAP !!!:D

Man if the Jeep was the only thing I had going I would have it done by New Years. It’s all those other irons I keep in the fire that’s making the progress so slow. However it’s those same irons that fund this project. The last two weeks I have been working on my welding rig. I had to replace the clutch & pressure plate and had Steve rebuild the trans. I got it all back together Saturday. But while I had it apart I decided to go ahead get the seat reupholstered and I am still waiting to get it back. The upholster said it would take him a couple of days a week ago and its still not ready. Mean while I got welding job stacking up, while I try to get my truck back together. At this rate it be after new years before I get to even work on my Jeep again. I have to keep my priorities straight.

Man priorities SUCK!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
that's some good lookin work there...looks like a hell of a shop you got to.

What kinda headers are those, as in maker and application...doing the same engine swap this winter and Iv'e been lookin at them lately. Thanks

1 - 20 of 101 Posts