Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15 years of Jeeping, I'm done. I plan on getting a first generation 4Runner and running 35s. If I get an '85, with the lift I'll do the crossover steering requiring the IFS box, and go with a wider '86- rear. If I get an 86-, I'd be installing the solid front end. I'm capable of either job, so does either vehicle have an advantage as a starting point? In either case I'd get a 5sp and run a Marlin box. I plan to maximize my use of Toyota parts on the truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's getting hard to find 85's. So more than likely you'll end up with a 86 or newer. I've got a 87 thats mostly chevy now and if I had to do it again, I'd get a second gen(4 door&v6). Just for the room(the power doesn't hurt either). Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I just joined the club, too. After years of Jeep vehicles, I just bought my first Toy, an '87 that's already built. Nothing wrong with Jeeps, IMO, just wanted to try something new.
dion

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
id get an 86 up you get the wide rear axle better rear brakes, swap ifs calipers on to lc rotors, put sky spacer, with an 85 you'll need to drop the hangers anyway so with the 85 all you get is an axle. if you cant find a toy axle or want better turning radius, just get a dana 44. abouve all its alot easier to find an ifs runner so in turn it is easier to get a cheaper one. just dont get a v6(88-89).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got an 85' I was looking newer though, a few too many miles for my taste on most 85's and I had to replace the tranny and I'm gonna replace the timing belt due to the high mileage. All of the years are solid mechanically and I would consider it a toss up build-up project wise (86 and later vs. 85). Just try to find one with lower miles that has good engine compression and have a cylinder leak down test performed. This way you'll know the engine is cherry. Ditto on the 4-door and ease of use versus a two door runner. Yet the first generation removable top is nice during the summer and my motorcycle fits in the back.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Get a EFI for sure...........

That is harder to swap than the SAS.......

With an 85 or 84 your basicaly going to do a SAS anyways.... after you redo the from hanger and all :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Kyron said:
Get a EFI for sure...........

That is harder to swap than the SAS.......

With an 85 or 84 your basicaly going to do a SAS anyways.... after you redo the from hanger and all :)
I second this...there are also a ton of Toy solid axles in the classifieds recently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 4runner is an 86 body with an 85 truck frame. Just thought I'd mention the possibility. It was free to me and got me set up for fuel injection so seemed like a resonable idea at the time.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
get the nicest, newest, cleanest efi runner you can afford. the difference in cost and work to get an 84-85 truck and a 86-89 is a wash, so you might as well get the nicer of the bunch.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
personally get the newest rig you can.only benefit from 85 and prior is sa already.at least with newer ones less chance of rust,already has better brakes,wider rear,efi,usually in better shape.

work wise.with ifs you got some cutting and grinding but its already got ifs box mounted.only real difference i can see is no box swap needed with ifs truck but you gota mount frame tubes.

shoope1 i did a 94 to avoid that problem.salt kills out here.

also i heard some people having problems with ifs frames cracking at ft hanger if not braced.i never had problem but mines braced with 3/8 plate :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Shoope1 said:
I have been looking locally for a runner for a DD and Mild Trail rig( when not running my big truck). Are the frames any better with the ifs ones. I can't seem to find many good frames around these neck of the woods.
As far as I can tell, they are almost the same, but the IFS frames are about 2" lower in the front where the IFS was. Although I dont see this being a problem. I set my bumpstops to come in when the springs go flat (1.5" over stock of shackles/stock front hanger), and dropped the stock bumpstop 4".

·
KY Mtn Crawler
2,916 Posts
GRMhick said:
As far as I can tell, they are almost the same, but the IFS frames are about 2" lower in the front where the IFS was. Although I dont see this being a problem. I set my bumpstops to come in when the springs go flat (1.5" over stock of shackles/stock front hanger), and dropped the stock bumpstop 4".

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Been there done that. I actually had a 84 that was "parts truck" but enough there including a running engine that I intended to put it back together. After making a list of what I wanted to change and what it was going to cost I went and found a 86.

What it got over the 84 was
22RE (fuel injection)
w56 transmission (stronger then the carb tranny)
Top shift case (better start for the doubler)
IFS steering box
Wider rear axle
Better front brakes
SR5 with sunroof. That was important to me. I see no point in taking the roof off if the driver and passenger are still under a roof. This is also my DD and I really like the roof.

You can get a FI solid axle but it was basically only available in 85. They will be few and far between. Still doesnt get you the wider rear axle.

I only paid $300 for the 84. Kept the Front axle for the conversion, Kept the engine and selling it and kept the transfercase for a Doubler (it was missing the tranny).

Adding up the conversion and more impoortantly time. Take a lot less time to SAS the 86 then for FI, IFS box, Wider rear axle on the 84. Money wise...close to a wash because I will probably use a kit for the conversion becasue of the time savings. Once all the parts are there its a weekend job.

I gave the remains of the 84 to my buddy and he's putting the running gear out of his 80 truck in it. Frame is rusting out on his truck so it works out for him. The 84 is a southern truck, no rust to speak of and none in the frame. Gets him a back seat for his two boys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts