Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I found a set of 4" lift YJ leafs and am going to get them, BUT how much do they lift a Toy? I have a '85 p/u. I though I understood that it was about 1" over what they will lift a Jeep, but this isn't confirmed. Also, do you use fronts, rears or does it matter? I have a friend who wants to split the set and use the rear pair (Extra leaf) for his 4runner w/ a 302. This leaves me with the fronts, which I think is good. Who has 4" YJ leafs on their Toyota and how much do they lift?? Thanks guys! <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,885 Posts
my 5 inch allpro setup(4" springs, plus one inch from the hanger and shackels) sat about the same height all settled in as toyfamily's 2.5 inch yj springs did without a drop hanger and slightly longer shackels, if that helps...4"ers will probably sit similar to the kinda tall(imho) 44044 ranchos... <IMG SRC="smilies/bender.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
i'd keep those 5 leaf rear packs for yourself. yj springs are soft. i put 2.5" ome on my sumurai and the 4 leaf pack was way too soft up front. i took a load leaf from a stock pack and added them to my front packs. now they seem perfect... and remember my truck weighs like half of what a toy weighs. my springs were 2.5" lift and lifted the suzuki about 4".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So YJ lift springs will lift a Toy about 1.5"(??) over what they would on a Heep? That makes these lifting at 5.5"!! <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> Wow! I know YJ springs are soft, but I am hoping that with the arch they wont be excessivly soft. However they end up, I guess I could always combine these with my 3" Softride's that I have now and make the 'Perferct' pack. Anyone else got YJ 4" springs on their Toyota??

Originally posted by paul robert ryun: MTN GOAT:
<STRONG>my 5 inch allpro setup(4" springs, plus one inch from the hanger and shackels) sat about the same height all settled in as toyfamily's 2.5 inch yj springs did without a drop hanger and slightly longer shackels, if that helps...4"ers will probably sit similar to the kinda tall(imho) 44044 ranchos... <IMG SRC="smilies/bender.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
The rear springs are softer than the front because they don't have to carry the weight of the motor. I have rear 2.5" rear springs in the front and are soft but they flex like a mother F____r. I would say the 4" ones give about 5" of lift. My buddy (tug78) has them on his truck and they are great don't let the 4" ones with the noticable arch fool you they flex just as good as the 2.5" You will like them I just am not familiar with the fronts always heard of the rears to be used only. <IMG SRC="smilies/tongue.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,885 Posts
Originally posted by KAN:
<STRONG>MTN GOAT, thought Toyfamily was running 4" RE YJ rears. Did he change?</STRONG>
i doubt hes changed, so maybe your right?? sorry... <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
yj rears are firmer than the fronts... the reason everyone says use rears all around is because the fronts are too soft. you will kill them in a couple runs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The front YJ springs are FIVE leafs--rears are FOUR!! There is about a 60 lb/in. difference between the two(fronts having the higher spring rate).

Havent't heard of anybody using the front YJ's, maybe not a bad spring for a heavier frontend or a tad less body roll <IMG SRC="smilies/idea.gif" border="0">

General: I hope you can weed through all this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Originally posted by the General:
<STRONG>OK, I found a set of 4" lift YJ leafs and am going to get them, BUT how much do they lift a Toy? I have a '85 p/u. I though I understood that it was about 1" over what they will lift a Jeep, but this isn't confirmed. Also, do you use fronts, rears or does it matter? I have a friend who wants to split the set and use the rear pair (Extra leaf) for his 4runner w/ a 302. This leaves me with the fronts, which I think is good. Who has 4" YJ leafs on their Toyota and how much do they lift?? Thanks guys! <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0"></STRONG>

I run a set of 4" YJ rear springs and I think they are still too soft. Right now, I only have an extra leaf on the passenger side because of the added weight of the pumpkin and t-case made the truck lean a little. I used the second leave of my rear Toyota pack and cut it down to stiffen up that side. However, I'm now considering adding another leaf to the driver's side. I'm also looking at reducing the up travel because the truck just has too much up travel for my liking. It's all a matter of personal preference. I run AOR 1.5" longer front shackles and have dropped my front hanger 2". Therefore, my springs sit pretty flat, but flex more than enough. It makes the off-camber stuff extremely exciting! Of course the external cage just gets used as a pivot point more than it used to. If you look at a stock TJ (or even one with a mild to 3" lift) they only have about 2.5 to 3" of up travel. That's the direction I'm looking at myself. I'd say I have about 5" right now and it's just too much - even for a dedicated trail rig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Originally posted by KAN:
[QB]The front YJ springs are FIVE leafs--rears are FOUR!! There is about a 60 lb/in. difference between the two(fronts having the higher spring rate).

Havent't heard of anybody using the front YJ's, maybe not a bad spring for a heavier frontend or a tad less body roll <IMG SRC="smilies/idea.gif" border="0">

<IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> 4 leave front,5 leaves rear,If you dont beleive us,go ask the Jeep guys... <IMG SRC="smilies/eyemouth.gif" border="0">

<IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0"> + <IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0"> = <IMG SRC="smilies/nuke.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I have the rear springs and they are indeed 4 leafs not five. Maybe the different spring manufacters have 4 or 5 leaf packs kinda like a heavy duty spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
That may be. All the stock ones Ive worked on or lifted had 4 in front 5 in rear, I thought it was kinda odd, that why I remember it. (I dont want anyone to think I'm "into" Jeeps or anything. <IMG SRC="smilies/eyemouth.gif" border="0">

<IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/pissed.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
i looked at a bone stock yj today. guess what... 4 leaf pack up front and 5 leaf pack in rear. it was STOCK. i love being right. <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> so in conclusion use the 5 leaf packs <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> the 4s are way too soft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, thats alot of good info. I'm still gonna use the front pack, but I think I will take apart my Skyjacker Softride 3" packs and add a leaf or 2 to each YJ pack. I think that from what I've heard here, I will add 2 leafs to the YJ pack, since the fronts have only 4 leafs and even the 5 leaf packs can be too soft. Does this sound right?
BTW, I was at the P-N-P today and got my ass kicked be a pair of Chevy leafs <IMG SRC="smilies/blush2.gif" border="0">. Now I remember why I have air tools!! But I got them in the end, so thats the next project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
i looked at a bone stock yj today. guess what... 4 leaf pack up front and 5 leaf pack in rear
They vary on what spring pack you want.
RE1420 $79.95/EA LEAF SPRING YJ 4" LIFT, 4 LEAF, 225 LB/IN
RE1425 $79.95/EA LEAF SPRING YJ 4" LIFT, 5 LEAF, 275 LB/IN
RE1430 $79.95/EA LEAF SPRING YJ 2.5" LIFT, 4 LEAF, 185 LB/IN
RE1452 $149.95 YJ 2.5" EXTREME DUTY LIFT SPRING FRONT
RE1453 $149.95 YJ 2.5" EXTREME DUTY LIFT SPRING REAR
Check this out
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> RE1440 $79.95/EA LEAF SPRING YJ STOCK REPLACEMENT, 6 LEAF <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
I actually run Yj springs on my truck so I can give some first hand knowledge, Instead of saying "the fronts are too soft cause they have one less leaf...". I have 4 leaf 2.5" packs, and they are somewhat soft but by no means too soft. It is very controlled leans a little more in turns but I don't have a swaybar. Run what you got then add too it if your not happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by SquirrelMaster:
<STRONG>I actually run Yj springs on my truck so I can give some first hand knowledge, Instead of saying "the fronts are too soft cause they have one less leaf...". I have 4 leaf 2.5" packs, and they are somewhat soft but by no means too soft. It is very controlled leans a little more in turns but I don't have a swaybar. Run what you got then add too it if your not happy.</STRONG>

Thank you SquirrelMaster, the first hand knowledge is very appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I've been running 4" Skyjacker Softride rear YJ springs for about a year now. They flex well but are not "too soft" I run it down the road without the sway bar with 35" bfg's and it handles fine. I had to put on longer shackles (the stock ones will bottom onto the frame). So with the 2" shackles I figure it lifted it around 6-7". It will clear 35"s without any problems but is not so high that it is tippy. Here's a shot of mine on Sledgehammer.
<IMG width=100 height=100 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/Thumbnail.jpg">

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: 85toyboy ]
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top