Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering installing an exhaust brake on my 92 CTD auto.

A friend recently installed one on his 94 CTD auto.
He told me last night "Don't waste your money."

Also he said that I don not have a lock up torque converter so it would make zero difference, which is true so I need to investigate this further.

I read this article, and of course Banks is trying to sell their product.

http://www.bankspower.com/why_add_exhaust_brake.cfm

Also, I notice that Banks does not sell an Exhaust brake for pre 94 models. However, Jocobs and PAC both sell them for my model.

So what is the scoop?
Who is running them and on what?
How does it perform?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
your friend was right, don't waste your money. without a lockup all it is good for is warming your truck up.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've got one on my Powerstroke, never use it. Didn't notice a difference with it on coming down the 6% grades from Flagstaff to Phoenix with 5k on it. It was on the truck, so I'm out no money.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive got one on my 6spd cummins, would not be without it ever again towing. Pulled my 15k fifth wheel down 11% grades without touching my service brakes except on 180 turns and Ive got 40 k on my brake pads and they still look new. I use mine all the time. On an auto, w/o the locking tc it wouldn't be worth it. If you can get a locking torque converter, go for it. Check out turbodieselregister.com, guys over there can help out alot.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
got one on my 02 6 speed and wouldnt go without. since that went on i havent worried about makeing the trailer brakes work:D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Scox said:
Ive got one on my 6spd cummins, would not be without it ever again towing. Pulled my 15k fifth wheel down 11% grades without touching my service brakes except on 180 turns and Ive got 40 k on my brake pads and they still look new. I use mine all the time. On an auto, w/o the locking tc it wouldn't be worth it. If you can get a locking torque converter, go for it. Check out turbodieselregister.com, guys over there can help out alot.

Steve
Which brake do you have?
You too Gearman.

Thanks, Phil

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
With no lockup, the torque converter will just freewheel, so it'll be absully useless. I've never towed with one, but would love to have one for my girl. Of course, what I really want to do is build a true jake brake, but that's a bit harder to do. I think I can do it, though.
-John

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
No trailer brakes, you guys must be nuts or not have crazy twisty icy roads where they are essiental for stopping and getting out of sways . I'm going to get some shit for this one i know it.

BarrelRoll

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
You know, on automatic cars, I can downshift and get compression braking. How come that doens't work on a diesel? Don't tell me about compression braking on a diesel.. I mean if the thing has a jake brake or exhaust brake, why doesn't the TC do the same exact thing that a car does?

IIRC, even my '71 mustang with C4 auto could compression brake. I know my mom's mid-80s Taurus did, and a few other vehicles that probably didn't have lockup converters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Without a TC that locks up, an exhaust brake will not produce any braking effect. All you'll get is slippage at the TC that will quickly heat your tranny fluid and shorten its life.

Now if your tranny did have a TC capable of locking up, your tranny needs to have the strength to take the reverse loading you see during compression braking. Evidently my 48RE was to be designed for use with an exhaust brake. However, the '03s have issues with some thrust washers and are saddled with a PCM that Dodge developed in house. The late '04s are using the Cummins ECM to control the tranny to help work better with exhaust brakes.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
rusted said:
You know, on automatic cars, I can downshift and get compression braking. How come that doens't work on a diesel? Don't tell me about compression braking on a diesel.. I mean if the thing has a jake brake or exhaust brake, why doesn't the TC do the same exact thing that a car does?

IIRC, even my '71 mustang with C4 auto could compression brake. I know my mom's mid-80s Taurus did, and a few other vehicles that probably didn't have lockup converters.
Under slight load, it will compression brake due to torque converter draf, etc, but it all changes when you have a lot of weight.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
The torque converter will tranfer some torque the other way, so you get a slight hold back affect, but not enough to use an exhaust brake.
-John

·
Banned
272 Posts
Another CTD/6spd/exhaust brake owner that wouldn't be without one. I have the Jacobs E-Brake (the one Dodge actually sells). The thing is awesome - I use it every day.

I tow a 13.5K 36ft 5th wheel Patio Hauler and have no concerns coming down I-80 from Tahoe or Hwy 190 out of Death Valley.

If you tow heavy upgrade the transmission and get the e-brake.

Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use the Jacobs E brake, directly from Dodge, $540 from the dealer. Doesn't void warranty (I did this along time ago with other mods anyway), and is easy to put on.

Steve

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BarrelRoll said:
No trailer brakes, you guys must be nuts or not have crazy twisty icy roads where they are essiental for stopping and getting out of sways . I'm going to get some shit for this one i know it.

BarrelRoll
Who said anything about trailer brakes? They are talkign about exhaust brakes.:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Scox said:
I use the Jacobs E brake, directly from Dodge, $540 from the dealer. Doesn't void warranty (I did this along time ago with other mods anyway), and is easy to put on.

Steve
where'd you get the brake for 540?......i was quoted 1195 from a local richmond dealer?.....I'd definately have one for that price

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Lance said:

I'll also be laughing as I go flying by your old truck on the grades! :flipoff2:
And I'll be laughing when I pass you after you wrap the poor truck around a tree. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
-John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts