Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing for a nice exhaust for my 87 22R...Gibson and Jardine seem to make them for 88+. WTF?

The only one I can find so far is a Borla, and that is about $500! DAMN!

Anybody I am missing? I would like a larger exhaust, but don't really wanna pay $500!

TIA, Tim

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Any local shop can make one just as good, and cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just got a muffler from Summit Racing for $15, $22 shipped. Gonna have a local shop bend it up for me. Prolly like $100 for everything I would guess. Cheaper then anything pre bent and mailed out. My 88 Runna is a cheap ride, and ain't purdy, so I don't need nuthin nice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, good idea!

Any recommendations on muffler type?

Here is what I am doing.

22r short block is built and ready (stock).

Head will be ported with oversized valves soon. Have a RV cam for it from engnbldr.

Weber DGES 38 carb.

Some type of headers, undetermined yet.

Some type of exhaust, undetermined also.

I don't want a loud ass muffler, but do like it throaty...

Any adivce appreciated....Tim

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
2-1/4" Dynomax Super Turbo

·
Registered
609 Posts
I used to have a dynomax but the baffels rusted out internally and rattled. I have the downey glass pack and so does a friend of mine. He has the larger of the two that they offer and I have the shorter one. His is way deeper and more throaty and mine is loud as hell but it sounds good. The porting job on your head should try to match up the exaust for the best breathing caracteristics. If you go too big in diameter then the upper end power will be better at the expense of low end torque. Who is porting your head?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Magnaflow ain't too loud either, nice throaty sound and not too expensive-similar to Flowmasters. Most exhaust shops carry them, so just have 'em throw that in when ya get the rest of the system done!
For headers on a 22RE, I personally like my thorleys, but they are expensive and should be ceramic coated so they don't get all shitty and rusty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure who I will have do the port work yet.

Engnbldr, who sells all kinds of Toy goodies, may do it for me. Actually, i will prolly just buy a built head from him direct instead of having a few weeks of downtime...then I will have a spare head too.

Still poking around locally for a good head place...but most do not seem to be "toy experts", so I may just buy from engnbldr....any ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
there have got to be some shops in your area that do custom porting work. The problem with mass produced is they can't take the time to do a truly good job- one that will have you smoking all the 4cyl toys in town. If you are worried about down time then that is probably your only option. Just for shits and giggles check out the guy who did my head-replikamaschinen.com. Don is a master at this type of stuff and his website has tons of info. When it comes to porting work you definately get waht you pay for. Mine was close to 1300 but I know that it was truly the best that money could buy, especially after checking out L.C. engineering "ported heads" they are better then stock but the most crucial part of the intake - the area just below the intake valve- was still marred from tons of casting flash. But their heads are a good 2-3 hunred cheaper then a custom. A custom job is going to allow you to tell the builder what you want- low end torque or high end horsepower. And don't automaticly think that bigger valves are going to help you , you have to be very careful that you get a complete match with every component. Horsepower is a dangeruos and expensive drug! After considering all the cost you may end up doing an engine swap!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info fellas..

Too late for an engine swap as the short block is ready to go...and the carb and cam...I have only heard good things about engnbldr, so I am not too worried about using him if I cannot find a good local shop.

One shop, Smedling Performance, seemd to know what they were talking about.

$175 to grind and install OS valves (labor only)

$225 - $250 for port work (labor).

So...$400ish for just labor.

Still, I would need parts and another head (prefer to keep a stock one just in case).

So, engnbldr quoted me $675 for a NEW head w/ OS valves and porting done.

Hell, it aint much more that way...and I would have a spare stock head with <1000 miles on it (my head is new).

I am leaning that direction...but still unsure...thanks for all the info, I will do some more research.
Tim

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Have you tried Downey?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
How about trying Colby @ Muffler Tech, there here in Sac...
421-0399.. They do great stuff and there good people too...

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have good luck with Gibson mufflers on my Nissan trucks, at least they design their mufflers/systems to produce power9hp AND torque) at the low/mid rpms not like Flowmaster where they are onl;y concerned with a peak horsepower number.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Had mine done at local muffler shop 2 1/4" from the cat back w/ a 3 chamber Flowmaster all tucked up out of the way to clear trail junk. Cost me $189;) Got a nice throatry sound but, dosen't sound like some cheesy import racer with those coffee can size muffler tips:eek: Noticed a slight increase in mid range and gas mileage. Money well spent!:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I know Northwest Off Road dosen't have agood rep on this board but, they have a nice cat back system for a decent price. Check it out.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts