Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 4bolt 350 out of a 1980 1 ton truck I will be running blockhugger headers with single 2.5" exhaust. So I'm wondering what muffler would work best. I'd like a 3 chamber so it's not too loud unless I get on it, and I'm not a fan of Flowmaster cuz everyone runs that.

So what do you all think would be a good muffler with decent backpressure for my rig?? I'll spend up to $100 on it, not including install, etc..

What do you run and how do you like/what don't you like about your own setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could try Dynomax or Borla. Borla isn't too loud until you get on it, and has a decent note cruising and idling.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Everyone runs Flowmasters because they are the best muffler for the money. Barring them altogether, I have to agree with Borla. Hooker also makes an okay muffler, but since it appears budget is not a concern, I would be leaning toward the Borlas.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Check out Magnaflow and Vortex.
I would stick with a heavy gauge, fully welded muffler (like a Flowmaster). They will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
cherry bombs are the only way to go. JUST JOKIN'
I would go with a 3 chamber flow, they sound the best, they dont backfire down hills,and will not ever blow out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about MAC mufflers?
In a mustang mag they pr oduced the most power on a stang, but were also the loudest.

What is the difference between the mufflers we've been talking about and "turbo" mufflers?
Summit sells them for like $30 each. How are they different than Flos.

What could I get that would be as quality as the flos as far as fully welded and thick guage, but a diff. brand cuz flo are so overused, every grocery go getter and soccer mom suburban around here runs them.

I have a 3" in 2 21/4" out flo but that's too much hoo haw for only single exhaust (running the twice pipes just for looks). If anyone wants it let me know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
3 big problems with flows. 1. the bafles will eventualy rust out inside and come apart. 2. they are pretty restrictive. I would get hooker aerochambers if I were you. they are cheaper, the baffles are stainless steel, they sound better (at least, IMO) and they aren't loud at idle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
man i have a cherry bomb on my luv:eek:
that thing is funny, got me the title of ricer truck boy...:p

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i like how flows are built but i hate how they sound.

so i run hooker super comps. they sound good to me and they are well built.

if you're on a budget then definatley the thrush turbos. they work well for the money.(13bucks at summit last i checked)

why are you going with 2.5 inch with a small block? isn't that kind of big? are you running some pumping some serious HP out of that bad boy?

if you want to get the best exhaust system i highley recomend:

Dr. Gas, Inc
1672 E. 10770 SO.
Sandy, Ut. 84092
801-571-6097

they make some sweet "X" cross over set ups.

i ran one with my pumped 454 in an old truck of mine and i kick arse.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The small block is bone stock except for a weiand intake and edelbrock carb and soon headers, so basically stock. I'd say at the most it has 200hp...on a good day

I thought that 2.5" single exhaust would be right,

Differing opinions/thoughts on this size for exhaust tubing???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts