Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the available guages from Autometer in their Phantom series(I'm looking at filling out my collection:p )

One that sticks out is the exhaust gas temperature guage. Why the fawk would I care about my exhaust gas temperature? What if anything does it tell me about my engine?

I know that a vacumn guage and mixture guage will help a ton in getting it to run right.

TIA,
John

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lil'John said:
Why the fawk would I care about my exhaust gas temperature? What if anything does it tell me about my engine?

I have melted the manifolds off Diesel engines before. Some Diesels can’t shut down till the exhaust reaches a certain temp…bla,blah,blah.. That’s why Pyrometers are around

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
TexasBlakeWFO said:
IT really won't help unless you have a turbo charger (diesels) which create an immense amount of heat. Which, like mentioned before, can cause manifold melting.

Most people get the guage in a pair with a boost guage.... i.e. more boost: higher temp.

on a diesel it's not boost = heat it's fuel = heat

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
With a turbo diesel you can melt the pistons out of the motor. No joke. If you are carrying a good load and have the motor under a load like a good really good hill or someone slows you down on a hill and you try to regain the speed I have to watch the temp guage. You have to lift a little if it reaches 1250* or you will start doing damage. If it is a stock truck then it is really not that important but if you hop it up and most of with diesels have then it get real important to have a pyro guage.

Like the other guy said though. The more turbo boost you have the lower the temp so the more fuel you can dump in. Stock my Ford would put out 17 lbs but hopped up it puts out 28lbs and by does that make a difference!

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so it wouldn't be of much use to a stock big block gas burning EFI engine then... right?

No turbo and no supercharger on my engine.... I can't afford either:D

·
Registered
535 Posts
its good on things other than a turbo too... on a NA car, if it leans out, your exaust temps are gonna go up, and a exaust temp guage will tell you. of course... an air/fuel meter will do the same thing.

i've seen guys use them on honda's before, but thats not saying much...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
66CJdean said:
. Stock my Ford would put out 17 lbs but hopped up it puts out 28lbs and by does that make a difference!

my custom burnt chip is limited @ 25psi because of the turbo surging issue, but teh gain from 17-25 was amazing, along witht eh extra 100hp :D

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
for the Average guy running a gas engine an EGT is completely useless. However if you are into tuning (and I mean really tuning like adjusting the amount of fuel based on the atomspheric pressure as well as other variables) then an EGT is extremely usefull. Having them on an EFI vehicle is kinda pointless unless you can actively adjust the fuel amount. i.e. in a couple of minutes like you can with a carb. Also if your going to run an EGT on a gas vehicle for tuning purposes you should get a digital one with a memory. That way you can keep exact records.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
DSI said:

my custom burnt chip is limited @ 25psi because of the turbo surging issue, but teh gain from 17-25 was amazing, along witht eh extra 100hp :D
Silly Power Strokes...my CTD would push 24 stock, running empty. Much more fun now that it tops out around 36. :flipoff2:

But there is a point where the extra boost is just useless, and only builds more heat. However, its pretty high.

Pete

·
Registered
323 Posts
EGT is good for high performing engines (deisel with a full load, race gas engine, etc). It is good for tuning at high loads, and to let you know when bad things are about to happen.

For anything else, no reason to go with an EGT, an O2 will do the job.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
pcorssmit said:

Silly Power Strokes...my CTD would push 24 stock, running empty. Much more fun now that it tops out around 36. :flipoff2:

But there is a point where the extra boost is just useless, and only builds more heat. However, its pretty high.

Pete
Funny CTD's, my 12 valver makes 43lbs!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
DSI said:

What rig is it that you have. I find it really hard to believe that you got an honest 100hp from a chip alone.
Looks like you guys need to spend some time on www.thedieselstop.com (ford guys)

·
Registered
117 Posts
You'd be stupid not to run a EGT on a turbo motor. Compress air= a ton of heat. Chip,Etc. does'nt always give you the fuel you need to compinsate for higher boost levels. With a EGT it lets you check at a glance and will tells you if your at that 14.4 fuel mixture.
How else will you know if your too lean??????????

·
Registered
323 Posts
Under boost, I wouldn't be running it as lean as 14.4. I would try to keep it at least below 13.5.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts