Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 85 Blazer at the end of this week (6" suspension lift, 38" swampers, 14 bolt rear, Dana 44 front, '68 472 Caddy motor, T350, Np205).

Anyhow my question is to any ideas for exhaust set ups to check out. It currently has no exhaust at all on it but I am getting a set of modified big block chevy headers with the truck to put on. I like the sound of the Flowmaster 40 series original flows but have found they don't make a system for this truck. I would like full dual exhaust but need something with either a fake catalytic convertor in there or a high flow cat because of emission reasons. I have no idea which way to turn with this set up due to the motor never having cat's and the truck having to pass emissions. Please any idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
my big block 454 really like the 3 inch i put on. to queit it some i put in the doctor gas "X" cross over. sounded ripping good. no one else around sounded like it and it was flat out scary.

anyways the down side was that i cost me a fortune. 650 when all done.

turns out that true three inch mufflers were only made but edlbrock, flowmaster, and hooker at the time.

i went hooker cause three inch on a big block and flow masters is a bad thing. plus i never liked the sound of flows.

and also finding an exhaust shop that could bend 3" and make it look good and not charge me 1,000 bucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the x pipe idea. I haven't heard anything with an x pipe on it yet, only the traditional h pipe. I was thinking of a 3" pipe also for breathing room with dual cats (found some high flow 3" in/out through summit racing). I very definitely want dual outlets and like the straight out the back but am thinking a more stealthy approach with tip down just behind the rear end. Still up in the air about mufflers themselves. I was hoping to find a complete bolt on system but since the truck is so custom I guess the exhaust is going to have to step into the custom lane too. Very curious to hear a Caddy motor with good exhaust on it.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I worked at exhaust shops for 2 1/2 years. You will not find a bolt up system for that combo. The high flow cats are the way to go. The x pipe is also a good move. Get a high quality, welded muffler. Edelbrock, Flowmaster, Vortex...they are much better quality than the turbo style. I have only ever seen one Flowmaster rust out. They last forever. I can guarantee you, if you run it straight out the back, or , dump it underneath, you will change it later. When you drive down the road, a low pressure area is created behind your rig. That low pressure will suck that exhaust right up the tailgate and inside the pass. compartment if you have the window open or the top off. Run it out the sides, behind the wheelwells. The passing wind will pull it away from the vehicle. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll second that. My exhaust runs straight out the back, and I get tons of it inside with the back window open.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would run it straight out the back with the big 4 or 5" chromies :rolleyes: :rainbow:

-Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts