Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a bit of a speedbump. I am gathering parts to convert my 2wd 2500 to 4wd. I have a donor axle and t-case from an 83 K30 which puts the front shaft on the passenger side. My plan is to simply reroute the exhaust to the drivers side and call it good. Unfortunately I live in California and the smog laws state I can not move any of the FOUR cats more than a couple of inches in any direction. So now I am waiting on the Smog Referee to call me so I can plead my case.
So my question to you guys is who has ever dealt with a CA smog ref and how hard is it to get them to allow me to make this mod?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
^^Agreed. I doubt they will even consider your request.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I don't even live out there and would sell the chevy 60 and buy a ford. With the emissions and the mess out there i'd leave that part alone. What are you planning on doing, what type of suspention..?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't even live out there and would sell the chevy 60 and buy a ford. With the emissions and the mess out there i'd leave that part alone. What are you planning on doing, what type of suspention..?

Yea, I may end up doing that. But since it doesn't cost anything to go to the smog ref I am going to at least give it a try.

I am not doing anything special. Gm Dana 60 with GM NP205 on leaf springs and 37's.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Yea, I may end up doing that. But since it doesn't cost anything to go to the smog ref I am going to at least give it a try.

I am not doing anything special. Gm Dana 60 with GM NP205 on leaf springs and 37's.
In that case, I'd definitely use a Ford 60 and keep your NP271(?)

Unless you just really want to do a front burn, I don't see the point.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,540 Posts
In that case, I'd definitely use a Ford 60 and keep your NP271(?)

Unless you just really want to do a front burn, I don't see the point.
He is 2wd currently.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Less fiddly fab tidbits to do if you keep the driveline on the factory side. You can use lots of little stock things instead of having to cobble everything. Not to mention, Ford axles are easy to find.
Travis..

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Less fiddly fab tidbits to do if you keep the driveline on the factory side. You can use lots of little stock things instead of having to cobble everything. Not to mention, Ford axles are easy to find.
Travis..

I laid under the truck a while last night with a tape measure and flashlight. LOL. Looks like I may be able to squeeze the exhaust over the t-case on the passenger side with a little adjustment of the cats and precise bends on the exhaust. If the ref says no to allowing me to run the drivers side exhaust down the drivers side, then I should be able to still run it on the passenger side. Would like to still get the OK to run the exhaust on the drivers side to eliminate the crossover pipe that runs under the torque converter. It would just be a cleaner set up that way.

I'll post up what the final outcome will be. And let some of you guys to me "I told you so" when i put the GM gear up for sale. :flipoff2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts