Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive searched alot and evey post had 50/50 Answers. But I didn't know most the people posting. So I will ask again and value the opinions of the good tech info guys I have seen here.

I recently Re-Built my 22r to get a bit more HP from it. This I am finding was a mistake. For the money I spent I could have probably thrown in a 4.3 . But I did everything from Hasting Moly rings .20 over and Stage 2 cam. And All the work I could do at the machine shop. I have put about 500 miles on it and am happy with the slight power increase. My question is about the Cat and Muffler. When I ran it before smog I just ran a straight pipe and muffler. But then threw a Cat on it for smog. I currently have a Downey Header 2.25 In Pipe to 2.25" Cat to Cherry Bomb and no pipe after that. What I want to do is Yanke the current setup off of the header (and save it for smog) and replace it with 2.25" pipe to flowmaster and go all the way out of the back with 2.25" pipe. Will I have enough backpressure and Will I notice a power increase? I know I'm long winded but I wanted to make sure You guys knew what I was up against.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
2.25 is a good size, i dont know if you'll see any power increase, but you don't want to go any bigger, as you will lose too much back pressure.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
hey, not to hijack your thread sam, but is your header really loud, damn near like a decent leak? ive got the downey on my dailydriver 4runner and its loud as fook and i cant find a leak????

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Heavy Metal Toy said:
2.25 is a good size, i dont know if you'll see any power increase, but you don't want to go any bigger, as you will lose too much back pressure.
is it a bad idea to go smaller than 2.25 or is that the only one size pipe you would want to go with a hoped up motor. I guess what im saying is how small can you go with out robbing power??

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When I first got my Downey header it was REALLY loud. Then I found a plug was missing and its been super quiet ever since. There is an EGR or air injection passageway in the head that needs to be plugged by the header. In between cyl 2+3 there should be a threaded hole that needs a plug. Hope that helps.

Kev

·
Registered
609 Posts
to get the most from your set up you should think about your carb. What are you running right now ? The exhaust that you are talking about shouldn't be harmefull to the breathing, but don't try to make it any bigger than 2.25 without more displacement-stroker kit-or it will suffer at lower rpms.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
Headers are always louder the stock manifolds, thin walled tubeing verses thick walled cast. At least this has been my experence with headers. I got a loud pipe ticket on my 55 doorslammer and it had stock mufflers off a Vette on it!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Paul,

Yeah that damn header is pretty loud. My main reason for asking about this shiat is I want to take off my cat but my Muffler guy said I needed its backpressure. But before when I didn't run a cat it seemed to have more High end power. I just want a little more high end back without having to do a gear swap.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
mines the whole downey system including the airbox and it sounds like a ricer with laringitus:confused: :confused: i have the little "catco" catalytic converter and the guy that always does my frieinds and families exhausts here says they dont have any appreciable affect on flow or backpressure...he does a lot of the local guys who race at delta, stockton 99 and the altamont, so id trust his opinion...

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Toy 4Runner Man said:
I don't suggest the Flowmaster, cause it is really loud!!! I have a 22/20R hybred boarded fourty over. No CAT, 2 1/2" pipes, and a flowmaster.
they key is to get a 3-chamber instead of two. mine is nice and quite. gets nice and throaty when compression braking in low though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts