Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 02 Expedition that im looking to get a suspension lift for...problem is all the kits i find say they are for 4wd only trucks...my truck has AWD...it also has rear coil springs with airbags in the middle of the coils...i dont know if they are factory or not??? are there any lift kits that will work with the AWD truck? or what would need modifying to make the 4wd kit work on my truck? what are the differences between AWD and 4WD?? i assume the tcase but there must be something else im not thinking of.....truck already has a 3inch body lift and 33's and im looking to get a 4 or 6inch kit.....any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
PM me and ill hit you with a price on a kit.

I recommend the RCD 5" kit. If you go looking at the 6" kits with the AWD you are certain to get front driveline vibrations.

The 5" kit is more borderline; most have no vibes, some will and will need a CV driveshaft.

The difference is that on the AWD the front driveshaft spins constantly, where the 4wd doesnt spin when discengaged. That spinning at high speeds is what causes the vibe when the driveshaft is steepened due to the lift.

The rear airbags arent a problem, just a little more expensive for that lift. As long as you dont have air ride up front you are good to go....just know that driveline vibes are a possibility, and have a game plan for them

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Hey Big Green, I've been thinking about lifting my 03 F150 6", but I want to clear 37" tires with no body lift, preferably on my stock FX4 17x9 wheels. (37x12.5R17 MT/R's)

I have a few buddies with lifted F150's that run a 6" fabtech kit with 3" body lift on 37x13.5 toyo's. But they look kinda gay IMO

The only real place I see trimming necessary is on the front fender plastic fascia just like where the superdutys have to trim to run 37's on 6" lift. Agreed?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hey Big Green, I've been thinking about lifting my 03 F150 6", but I want to clear 37" tires with no body lift, preferably on my stock FX4 17x9 wheels. (37x12.5R17 MT/R's)

I have a few buddies with lifted F150's that run a 6" fabtech kit with 3" body lift on 37x13.5 toyo's. But they look kinda gay IMO

The only real place I see trimming necessary is on the front fender plastic fascia just like where the superdutys have to trim to run 37's on 6" lift. Agreed?

17x9s...that will help. With the 6" Fabtech, i can see rubbing on the fender as well as the valence. Make sure you get the right backspacing on those rims also.

But really, they will fit, everything is a matter of trimming....i know a guy with an Expy with 37s on a 4" Rancho....all the cutting was inside the fenderwells so he didnt even have to hack the body.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
17x9s...that will help. With the 6" Fabtech, i can see rubbing on the fender as well as the valence. Make sure you get the right backspacing on those rims also.

But really, they will fit, everything is a matter of trimming....i know a guy with an Expy with 37s on a 4" Rancho....all the cutting was inside the fenderwells so he didnt even have to hack the body.
I'm ok with fenderwells and the front fascia, but I was really hoping to not have to run backspaced wheels. With my current setup I'm running 285/70R17's so they are almost 33x12.5's (32.7x11.2/17) completely stock, and it only gets close to the front "valance" as you call it. So I was kinda hoping with a 6" lift a 4" taller tire and inch wider wasn't going to prove much of an issue.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Fabtech requires 4-5/8" backspacing

·
Registered
5 Posts
expedition lift

sorry to jack the thread. i have been looking and i want to go from the awd system to a normal 4wd system as that of the f150. i dont know if i need a different tranny or transfer case or just the motor on the back of the case. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I would imagine a new Tcase...look on the backside of yours for a model number....should be something like BW4404-4406

Mine (push button 4x4) is a 4406

1 - 8 of 8 Posts