Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had simular questions about the miliatary tires before but now I got some axles and fixing to buy tires.I am wondering what is everyones favorite miliatary tire is and what size?I will be running a 205 for now and a real healthy v8 with around a 2200 stall with a auto in it.2 seater and chassis by itself only wieghs about 240 lbs with nothing in it.I am thinking on the 46" tires just not sure wich ones to get.I want to make sure I have good traction I just don't know if these will grab like TSL'S will...hmmm..I did read where godzuki said do not groove them very bad and I will listen because he should know...thanks for any help

I know there are alot of post about them I just want to get all the answers in one post...no search people needed just read the title and only those apply please..thanks

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i ran the 15.5 80 r 20's in the piolte xl's on the rear and 395-85 20's xml's on the front of my rig on single beadlocks you have to get them down to about 3-4 psi to really make them work good . you can groove some in the tread but dont touch the sidewalls the xls work better than the xml's in my opinion

·
Registered
681 Posts
Im building a 79 CJ5 on rockwells running 14R20's. They work great in the garage. Going to run JOHNC's double bead locks. Those worj great in the garage to.

you can groove some in the tread but dont touch the sidewalls the xls work better than the xml's in my opinion

?????Why do you say to stay away from the sidewall, Any pics of groove ideas that worked?????????????

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am trusting some local guy's here in texas that are on this board also.They say do not groove them and I will trust them.They have been running rockwell's and goodyears for about 4 years atleast or maybe more now.I am not sure why I think maybe they start comming apart later.But not sure really.They told me to just let the air out of them drive them for about a mile or 2 across the field then air them up to a couple of pounds and go with it.They said for zuk's just air up to maybe 1 pound and they will flex after breakin.I am also running the 14.00 x r20's under mine and getting the beadlock's soon.They are some stazwork's.Getting them used from a man.I just got the tires last night.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Do they run they forwards or backwards?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i grooved the side walls of 16 14 and 395 20's and they almost all ripped open starting along a groove cut as afr as in the tread just dont do too much or they chunk out bad on the xl's i cut 1 line straight across every tread block on the xml's i cut an x in every block i personally dont like the xml's they just dont hookup like the xl's or the at2a's

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Ripper,

I have wheeled with a ton of guys running military tires on thier Rockwells and I have never been impressed with the way they work. I mean, if anything, I have been underwhelmed, especially if there is any mud involved.

I would try to swing some Swampers if you could.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts