Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the my front axle welded, but I can't weld good yet. How should I explain to my welder what I need done? Also, would it be a problem to weld the front diff? I have locking/unlocking hubs, so they won't be locked together constantly.:confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
well take your carrier out and take it to him(might want to take off your ring gear) and tell him to weld all 4 spider gear together and then weld then to the carrier as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
welding the diff

I have just read an article that says to use a piece of plate welded to all the spiders in the middle then weld all that to the carrier. if you did that on two sides. it would be :nuke: proof.

I am planning on weldiing mine up soon. It should be great for me since i do no rock climbing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
kyrel69 said:
well take your carrier out and take it to him(might want to take off your ring gear) and tell him to weld all 4 spider gear together and then weld then to the carrier as well.

yup what he said , and when the guy thinks he's done with it tell him to weld more on it. I've looked at and rewelded other ppls lincoln lockers when they fail. Welding a diff. isn't something to take lightly when welding it up do it right the first time and you dont end up with shattered spider gears that decide to take out ring and or pinion out at the same time weld the spiders themselves and weld them to the carrier itself.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aquaman said:
I want to get the my front axle welded, but I can't weld good yet. How should I explain to my welder what I need done? Also, would it be a problem to weld the front diff? I have locking/unlocking hubs, so they won't be locked together constantly.:confused:
You may regret doing this. Keep in mind, a welded diff in the front will increase your turning radius by a bunch. The front wheels still try to pull straight ahead even though the tires are at full lock. Wheel someone elses rig with it first (if any) to see what I am talking about.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
I think a welded rear would be great and that is what I am going to do to the next rear axle I swap in.

I have a D60 ff rear now with a lockright (LR in the front D44 too..) and its great...but its hard to beat the price of a welded diff, the reliability, and the traction!!

Buy a locker for the front or you won't be turning very well at all....a little slip in the front end with manuverability is better than none with broken parts... Lunchbox lockers are cheap and work very well.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here is my procedure for welding diff's
* clean everything very well with brakeclean
* let dry
* heat carrier with torch (or put entire carrier in the oven at 450* for two hours)
* weld spiders to the carrier, both sides
* get small nuts and weld them inbetween where the spiders mesh together

Hints:
* if you leave the carrier in the axle, fill the housing with water and leave the pinion points down - this will keep the pinion seal from getting hot
* if you leave the carrier in the axle, pull the shafts. You don't want slag on the axle splines
* let the gears/carrier cool slowly, don't quench with water
* clean everything very well after welding.

Good luck, works great!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts