Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my fuel cell today (custom made by me), running an e2000 pump. I am using a small filter before the pump and the stock one after the pump, going into the stock efi fittings in the drivers wheelwell.

For whatever reason it wont run now, I have fuel pressure after the stock filter but that's as far as I had time to check. I removed the stock tank and all associated wires, did the computer depend on something here to run right?

I am using the same power wire from the stock pump on the new one, so thas not an issue. I can hear it run when I turn the key, everything looks like it should work.

There are 2 different sized fittings at the wheel well, I assume the larger one is the pressure line and the smaller is the return?

I can also get it to run in short busts with starter fluid, but its just not getting any fuel. Any ideas?

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I now have fuel at the fitting up at the manifold. Could this be a to much/not enough pressure problem?

I thought the explorers had an internal requlator that controlled the fuel pressure and flow, is this not the case?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
you should have around 45 psi with the engine off at the shrader valve on the fuel rail - and 30 at idle - yes the larger line is the pressure line - how is the pump mounted and were is the pick up in the tank - the e2000 is not a sucker pump - so if the fuel cell has the pickup from the top it might no prime and starve the pump ( that is why there was an in tank low pressure pump also when ford used the frame mounted one )

dumb question - is the fuel filter installed right ? -

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought the regulator was mounted on the fuel rail and was vacuum controlled
Where does the vac line go to?

I have a sump in the cell and thats where the pickup is, the pump is getting fuel fine. Its mounted on the inside of the drivers frame rail well below the pickup.

Yes, fuel filters are right.

The problem has to be somewhere at the fuel rails, because im getting pressure all the way up there.

Would any damage result if the pressure line was accidentally run into the return line?

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys running the e2000 pumps, have you had any issues at first getting them to run. I have 2 pumps and now neither pumps. Wired right, inline right, below the tank and none work. They hum and vibrate when I hit the key but wont pump.

But they worked yesterday. :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Only time I had one not work was when I installed it backwards...now getting one to last has been tough. I burned up 2 pumps before using my factory inline pump on my 88 B2. 20 yrs old and still works great. I would re-trace the lines through the frame and verify everything is correct. Do you have fuel returning to the tank? Check for possible blockage or kinks on those P.O.S. factory lines.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
factory lines are gone, all 3/8 rubber lines now. They are right now, I had them backwarsd at one point. It does return to tank.

·
Registered
224 Posts
factory lines are gone, all 3/8 rubber lines now. They are right now, I had them backwarsd at one point. It does return to tank.
I ditched the factory lines as well. Glad to hear everything is OK. BTW..are you gonna make it to Rausch in July with Zapper, Splash and RRORC crew?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
did you ever check the pressure ? and by sump you mean the pick up lines are at the bottom of the tank - not the pick up is at the bottom, but the lines run to the top then down to the pump - ( air pocket ) -

and yes a regulator could be hurt if pressure was applied from the return port, but ive never seen it. do you have any pressure at the rail, or just fuel ( no pressure, just fuel ) and the vaccum line runs from the regulator to man. vaccum -

try pinching off the return line ( will max the pump near 50+ psi ) and see if it starts - if it does the internal diaphram could be torn in the regulator - allowing all fuel to bypass back to the tank

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
did you ever check the pressure ? and by sump you mean the pick up lines are at the bottom of the tank - not the pick up is at the bottom, but the lines run to the top then down to the pump - ( air pocket ) -

and yes a regulator could be hurt if pressure was applied from the return port, but ive never seen it. do you have any pressure at the rail, or just fuel ( no pressure, just fuel ) and the vaccum line runs from the regulator to man. vaccum -

try pinching off the return line ( will max the pump near 50+ psi ) and see if it starts - if it does the internal diaphram could be torn in the regulator - allowing all fuel to bypass back to the tank
Yes, sump as in pickup and return are at the bottom of the tank, lines are all downhill to the pump. I checked pressure as far as sticking my thumb over the hose and trying to hold it on. It built up pressure pretty quick.

Well right now I am not getting any fuel movement, both my pumps are dead. Im gonna get a better quality one (I got both for 60 shipped on ebay) and try pinching off the line. I was wondering if something was letting the fuel bypass back to the tank when I tried to start it.

I had pressure at the rail on sunday when the pumps worked, but I never checked the schrader valve after the regulator.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ditched the factory lines as well. Glad to hear everything is OK. BTW..are you gonna make it to Rausch in July with Zapper, Splash and RRORC crew?
Oh, I meant the pumps were set up correctly. My fuel system is still fubared.

I will make the event, its going to be a break in run for my rear 4-link on coils

·
Registered
929 Posts
I run the same setup on my 91x. Summit 15 gal bottom sump, e2000 on the frame rail with about 18" of lead hose, going through 1 filter before and 1 after. Power to pump off of the stock wiring.

When I lose prime, sometimes it's a bitch.

Here's 2 ways I've gotten mine going.

1. Cycle the key while holding the schrader open. Sometimes this takes a while but has never failed me.

2. Have somebody hold an air gun with 5-7psi on your rollover/vent to help "push" the fuel while cycling the key.

Once you get it going, unless you put a pusher in the cell, don't let it suck air or you will get to do it all over again.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it running now. First time I hooked it up I had the return mixed up, and im guessing this blew out the regulator somehow and just let it flood once I got them right.

I put in a new regulator and it started fine. However, it is running REALLY rough now. Its shaking the entire truck, feels/sounds like one cylinder isnt firing.

Does it ever end? :shaking:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
fuel pressure specs?

does it sound like just one misfiring (say like pulling a plug wire?) or all of them running 1/2 assed...?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
it is possible that the damaged regulator allowed small chunks of rubber in the fuel rail and clogged the injector screens - pull off one plug wire ar a time and find the biggest rpm drop -

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It never had a dead steady idle to start with, so after pulling the wires one by one they were all within 100 RPMs. I think im just gonna pick one and try cleaning/swapping injectors.

On second thought, it may be the MAF. When I tried to get it to run on starter fluid I just sprayed it onto my cone filter which probably let loose lots of dirt and grime to mess up the sensor. Ill clean that and the IAC too while im at it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts