Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of lifted rear Explorer springs sitting around. I was wondering if people here thought they would work worth a damn on the rear of my Toy. The only problem I see is that they might be too stiff. These springs have an AAL in them, 4" I think.

I also have a set of 63" Chevys. I would have to get an AAL and maybe blocks to use them though.

I'm trying to match the height of the 44044s up front. I'll be building a flatbed for it, so there will be some weight on them.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Dunno how they will work in the rear, but i think i saw someone on here awhile back with them out back. Now i hear from a friend of a friend that they work killer up front... But if you have 44044's already up front, and you are chosing between explorer or chevy 63" rears, i would go chevy... Unless you like to experiment. I perfer to be on the trail than experimenting with which spring works better. I just run what I know works.

Garett

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Measure the length and distance to the pin and you can figure it out. On my truck with 44044's up front I needed AAL and 2" blocks on my rear Chevy's to get it close to level at trail weight. (I've got a runner)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've had 2 friends run them out back on their runners. They ride great, flex decent, and can't carry a load for shit. To match 44044 you'd need a lot of block. But since you have an add a leaf they might be worth trying. If you already got'em give them a try. There's tons of ways to build a toy.

Travis

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paniolo said:
Measure the length and distance to the pin and you can figure it out. On my truck with 44044's up front I needed AAL and 2" blocks on my rear Chevy's to get it close to level at trail weight. (I've got a runner)

How does the measuring work? I've been thinking about that but I haven't worked out a formula that works.

How much AAL did you use?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Measure from middle of one spring eye to the middle of the other eye with a string following along the main leaf. Then measure to the center pin the same way. This will give you the front hanger location with the wheel centered in the well and the spring flat. (those are soft springs and I'm sure you can get them flat at full compression). The shackle mount will take a little more experimentation, but I would start with locating the lower part of the shackle the same way, then move forward say 3" for the mount, that way say a 5" shackle will probably give you another 1" of lift.

I think I have a 1.5" ProComp AAL (I don't think it gives that much) and a 2" block on my Chevys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts