Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have the 45 extra days that many of us asked the FS for. Yeah, maybe I am paranoid, but here a coupla things that worry me.

1. Loss of Momentum?

We have made a HUGE push to get people to respond to the DEIS in the last few weeks. The final two weeks that led to Sept. fourth have so far been buzzing with activity, from the Rally to Writing Workshops, etc. Now that the comment period is extended, I hope we did not blow our wad. :lmao: (sorry, that comment could not be helped, plus I wanted to use the new smilie)

I worry that we may lose momentum if we do not keep up the passion and the pace that we have set.

2. The "Other" side.

Yeah, we got 45 days to comment on trails to try to keep them open, but the "Other" side has 45 days to comment on trails to CLOSE them. I heard several people say that they do not think the "other" side is submitting that many comments, but we cannot bank on that. In fact, just the opposite, we have to ASSUME the "other" side is slamming the FS with comments also.

with all that said, I want to pose to you guys a question I posed to Randii and Scott at the Rally.

What's next?

Anyone have any ideas? What are we gonna do and plan out for the next 45 days that we could done the first time around?

I have a coupla ideas:

1. FS field trips.

Should we try to get some of the FS people (esp. Villavaso) out on some of the roads and trail, show them to them and hand them our comments there? This wiould do two things (hopefully), get them to know more of us by face AND hopefully get input as to why certain routes MAY be closed. I would like to hold one of these in the Silverfork area.

2. Another Rally?

We (Marlon!) would have more time or organize it , and this time really work on getting other groups such as hunters, the disabled, fisherman, campers, ATV/MX guys involved. I KNOW Marlon's Rally was a HUGE sucess, imagine what the guy coulda done with more time! Or, should we find other ways to get the word out to the public since we have already tried this?

Whatever we do, we gotta start brainstorming and organizing some suff soon! Lets make use of this time and commit to NOT losing momentum.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Keeping momentum is the most important part. I just hope we can keep our heads up and fight the next month and a half...

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I absolutely agree with you Kurt.. the good thing is it IS hunting season.. we will be able to get the word out to those groups, I know Robb's is seeing more and more bow hunters everyday. Where else do they hang out... We should have fliers and or a rally near Wild Sports in Orangvale or at some other place where that sort of thing is going on. I am not yet a hunter so I don't know their haunts so well. Justa thought.

we also talked of a poker run for a fund raiser.. robb's is down with that and Adam at Uncle Toms said he would be happy to host or help with fundraisers too.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I think it's good. Remember, it pushes back the whole process. It gives the Forest Service 45 more days to digest what they learned last week, which will only help us.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I was thinking this extra 45 days will allow us to: set aside a weekend in the ENF to go to as many trails that they plan on closing down.

Example: Find a good large camp ground for a base camp, and Get a few dozzen rigs together.
Pick out diffrent sections of the forest and send out groups of 2-4 vehicles to a few diffrent trails, in the areas the FS want's to close down. Have each group take pictures and notes of the trail names and route numbers. Log down trail conditions, Camp sites and any possable road problems that might be a reason for the route to be closed. There are a whole bunch of trails they are going to be closing with no evidance given to the public for closing them except the OLD we don't have the money or resources.
Then write letters in favor of keeping these areas open with a listing of the trail conditions and that you have been there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
45 additional days may be their hope of addressing all of the comments they have received for response in the final EIS. Don't let the numbers dwindle and hit em even harder when it gets closer to April 2nd.

At the Plesant Hill meeting they said they would not extend the 45 day comment period if they were overwhelmed with letters. Seems they opened a hornets nest.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
the good thing is it IS hunting season.. we will be able to get the word out to those groups
we need to get back to the stores that cater to the hunters next month....heck I will even wear my Bambi hat and pass out flyers campsite to campsite:D I love a challenge!

we also talked of a poker run for a fund raiser..
I heard a rumor at the rally that Randii was going to do a topless car wash.....you would pay him more to keep it on...we'd make a bank:D

·
5,729 Posts
Eric and I were discussing getting some fliers done and heading up to Loon, Union Valley area camp grounds this weekend to pass out fliers to every camper.
It doesn't have to be up there necessarily......

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
YES!!!!

I was thinking this 45 extra day will allow us to: set aside a weekend in the ENF to go to as many trails that they plan on closing down.

Example: Find a good large camp ground for a base camp, and Get a few dozzen rigs together.
Pick out diffrent sections of the forest and send out groups of 2-4 vehicles to a few diffrent trails, in the areas the FS want's to close down. Have each group take pictures and notes of the trail names and route numbers. Log down trail conditions, Camp sites and any possable road problems that might be a reason for the route to be closed. There are a whole bunch of trails they are going to be closing with no evidance given to the public for closing them except the OLD we don't have the money or resources.
Then write letters in favor of keeping these areas open with a listing of the trail conditions and that you have been there.

·
Land Use Zeus
2,881 Posts
45 Extra Days to WRITE letter

There is nothing more important to do with these extra 45 days than to ENSURE your trails are on the maps, in the process to be designated, and ensure you have standing in the NEPA process. Write your letters; wade thru the DEIS and get your favorite trails in your letter. Nothing is more important at this point.

BlueRibbon is still fighting for a new Supplemental EIS that makes more sense, opens more trails, develops the BlueRibbon alternative and dumps this garbage we are dealing with now. So make that your FIRST comment.

Del

1 - 10 of 10 Posts