Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have had them in a 1976 HP D44 for about six years (6000-7000 miles). I replaced them a few months ago when I had to replace the spindles. They were still holding a seal and looked the same as when I installed them before I removed one of them. I couldn't figure out any way to remove them without damaging them. I think they are outstanding alternative to spindle bearings.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that you still use the thrush washer. Is that how you did it BDK?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thrust washer, oil seal and slinger yes. Don't use the spindle bearing seal. I got this from Wild Horses via email before I installed them the first time. They are very helpful and respond to emails quickly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
aww..... i see. i wonder how these greens ones do not having the lip on the outer edge.
I had to cut off the lip on a pair for a 44. Couldn’t get the snap ring under the lockout on. Stationary belt sander makes quick work of it. I believe I slapped some grease on them when I put them in.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
If your spindle seals are good then why would these be necessary? Just curious. I would think as long as your running the snap ring on your stub this shouldnt be an issue.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
I have run them on Dana 44's and Dana 60's for years, I like them much more then the bearing.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Surprised no one makes an oilite bronze spindle bushing. I put the Longfield spindle bushings in my kingpin D60 when I built it in 2014 and they are wallowed out now. Think its allowing the axle shaft to move around more than I'd like so I put standard bearings back in with the new seal design which is a bit simpler than the old style. Seems like it will seal better too

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1117910&jsn=3

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Because they don't last with road use. Your bronze bushings lasted ~5yr. A bearing will last 20-30 or as long as it stays sealed and lubricated.
Odd since Toyota used them for ages and they rarely wore out. Yet I destroyed spindle bearings on a D60 to the point I kept a extra set on hand due to poor sealing. I now have Bobby's spindle bushings in the new rig.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Odd since Toyota used them for ages and they rarely wore out. Yet I destroyed spindle bearings on a D60 to the point I kept a extra set on hand due to poor sealing. I now have Bobby's spindle bushings in the new rig.
My Longfield ones lasted a while but those also wore out over time, its just plastic. There is a new style spindle seal I installed when I removed the plastic bushings and installed bearings again. Seals a lot tighter to the spindle

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SBK5-Front-Wheel-Bearing/dp/B000BZ96YA

·
blatant asshole
12,110 Posts
I used a set to solve a specail construction issue not to long ago.

Putting disc's on a closed knuckle ford with gm spindles and outers.
Early shaft used a non standard surface od that no one made a busing for.
Slam some plastics in her and rubbed it out in the lathe.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i made my own. its not rocket science. Its a nylon bushing. they work well.

I broke several needle bearings, never broke or worn out a bushing.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Branik also makes them, I have them in mine.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
My Longfield ones lasted a while but those also wore out over time, its just plastic. There is a new style spindle seal I installed when I removed the plastic bushings and installed bearings again. Seals a lot tighter to the spindle

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SBK5-Front-Wheel-Bearing/dp/B000BZ96YA
Go back and check what I quoted. I responded about the OEM Toyota bushings lasting. Obviously they are fairly well sealed from grit though and often in a bath of knuckle ball puke:laughing: I still think the brass or bronze bushing would last longer.

But.... Got a PN for the updated spindle seal? Hoping my machinist is done with my shafts sooner than later so I can do final assembly on my axle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts