Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice trucks, anyone ever make a willys pickup into an extended cab using a wagon? Willys pickups are sweet but 2 people and 2 dogs just don't fit in a willys pickup.
My dog will be going in the back where real dogs belong!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice trucks, anyone ever make a willys pickup into an extended cab using a wagon? Willys pickups are sweet but 2 people and 2 dogs just don't fit in a willys pickup.
twould be sweet but ALOT of work. Plus thats another excuse for another rig

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Here are a few pics of my dads rig. '48 willys pickup, on a 79 3/4 pickup frame and axles, dana 44/14bolt, 4:56 gears , air lockers f&r. sbc,th350,np203/205 triple stick. We are gonna 4 link it front and rear this winter with coils in the rear and coilovers in front. Kodi
DANG! :drool: Thats absolutely gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I bought a 1952 Willys Pick Up from Willybig. Pretty cool the truck came all the way from Delaware Ohio to Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada.

specs.
-350TPI, TH350, NP203/205 doubler
-Dana 60's, 4.88's, detroits, 4 wheel discs
-triangulated 4 link front and rear, Sway Aways up front, 1/4 eliptical rear
-39.5 TSL's on Diamond beadlocks

I absolutely love the truck. I own 4 of these now from totally original to this beast.
I'm gonna make a few changes. I am going to build tube fenders front and rear that follow the factory lines, but allow more room for the tires, then I will lower it 4" I'm doin 39.5" boggers to better suit my trail conditions, and then just some cosmetic stuff.
that's the third time that rig has shown up in this thread, and it is equally as sweet everytime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whats the deal with using blazer frames? do they just fit half-way close to begin with? what year blazer frames do yous guys usually use?
It's a good platform to build an old truck on, and they flex like crazy. Too much in fact, my '80 frame needed extra crossmembers to stiffen it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's a good platform to build an old truck on, and they flex like crazy. Too much in fact, my '80 frame needed extra crossmembers to stiffen it up.
Yeah, I had a '87 K5 Blazer and if I tried to do a poser shot on a stump the fan would rub into the radiator..short-wheelbase trucks are alot of fun offroad..I think the willys trucks and the buggys..truggys..whatever you guys build are awesome. That maroon one is sick..I wish i had the means/time to do a bodyswap onto a frame..Is that a toolbox on the maroon one? :D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Blazer frames are junk unless fully boxed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Will someone that has a willys p/u do a quick measurement to see if a 36" tire should have enough room to go into the stock spare tire location? Mine is up gettin new eng/tranny/tcase and axle swap

·
Registered
134 Posts
Blazer frames are junk unless fully boxed.

They are still better than the stock Willys frames. If I was starting from scratch I would build the frame instaed of using a Chevy one or strengthening the stock one.
I believe the Blazer frames are shorter wheelbase than the Willys trucks. The Chevy shortbox frame is very close though. The one under mine is boxed and has extra cross members.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Will someone that has a willys p/u do a quick measurement to see if a 36" tire should have enough room to go into the stock spare tire location?
Sorry, I spread my rear fenders a foot which is a good idea with larger tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
nice rig Magnum, can we see some more pics of it?

·
Registered
951 Posts
nice rig Magnum, can we see some more pics of it?
I'll try to get a few recent shots. I've been thinking about scanning some of my pre-digital photos covering my 28 year build :D. I'm keeping the retro look.

Here's a poser shot of what it looked like in 1982 when 42" TSL's were as big as you could get. Then a recent shot of the engine bay ( that 502's a tight fit! )

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great truck you have there mate. Good to see also that you have it for so long too. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
updated pics of mine. Went to 44" Boggers grooved, now building new fenders and then some tube work and lower it 3". Then a paint job. Thinkin rat rod style. Flat black with weathered name on the door.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Have you bought another set of fenders to cut sections out of the widen them? Look forward to the progress coming up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The yellow part of the fender is the original fenders off the truck. The black is from a set of fenders off one of my parts trucks. I'll start a build thread on it soon. It'll be in non-hardcore cause only modifying existing stuff.

I have 5 Willys pick ups in various condition. The orange one in the pic is all original and drives good. I will be restoring it next winter.

141 - 160 of 412 Posts