Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at my bactard of a truck this afternoon and thought of something. Don't laugh i haven't put really any thought into this yet. would it be possible to put a grease zerk at some plase in the front hub of say a d-60f so as to facilitate an easy way to grease/push out water from the bearings, kind of like a boat trailer. just wondering if i missed some thing other than the grease going out the axle hole. thanks.

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
If you have the time I am sure you could.I was thinking the other day about something like this looking at my rockwell.Just because the boot's get torn on them and the grease leaks out.Was thinking of drilling a hole through and putting a grease zert just to keep it full.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
well there is a seal on the back that keeps the grease in and the water out and the other end has your selectable hub or cover, guess what it's seald too. wouldn't work unless you took a hub off and put a zerk on the backside of the hub but good lord that would be a lot of grease up in there

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have thought about this as well. It is a nice idea but the hub wasn't designed to purge grease like a balljoint/TRE or u-joint. Most locking hubs jam if they have grease in them (read the warnings/instructions most say "Do not grease your new locking hubs").

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
muddinmike said:
well there is a seal on the back that keeps the grease in and the water out and the other end has your selectable hub or cover, guess what it's seald too. wouldn't work unless you took a hub off and put a zerk on the backside of the hub but good lord that would be a lot of grease up in there
They are indeed sealed but if the seals are a little worn or the wheels are turned the seal pressure on the axle is minimal and water does creep in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
it would work if you ported the zerk to feed the grease between the inner bearing and seal,then put a removeable vent between the outer bearing and the hub lock.this way the grease would be forced through both bearings and come out the vent before packing up the hub.it would simultaneously force out dirt that made it past worn hub seals....anyone have worn hub seals?
but like has been said,thats an awful lot of grease.....but also,if you wheel in wet or muddy conditions(read*pacific northwest*)it is better to have a lot of grease in there than a lot of mud.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not a bad idea, but my hubs only take a few minutes to take off and they don't need much grease to operate smoothly. Also my Warns say "Use proper amount of grease" :confused:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
st-ranger, thats kind of what i was thinking. last thime i took off my hubs a little water came out and the grease was all brown it was originaly blue, and the bearings were all pitted, the water must have been in there some time because i had not hade them off in probable a year. Ya i know i chould check them but you know how it goes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i know....i've been thinking of doing this on my own rig,as some of the mud and water i go through can be upwards of 4' deep,and it does not matter if all the seals are brand new,they still fill up with crap.
only problem is that when i am working on the damn thing i don't have enough time to do more than a quick clean and grease(sunday morning rush)so i haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me know if you end up doing it. if i find some time i will try it and let all of you know how it seems to work. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
my dodge 60 front drive flanges have a grease zerk on them dont know if it is factory or somebody put it there

as far as rockwells are concerned your filling the knuckle with grease when you grease the kingpins i know it doesnt fill the hub but it does fil the knuckle where the u joint runs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts