Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on ordering a pair of 12" travel coilovers for my cummins project truck. Anyone have any experience with them? The truck isn't going to be seeing any high speed off road racing or anything, more like expedition/overlanding type of stuff.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I'd rather buy a used set of any other shocks and rebuild them. Just to many issues, doing a quick search just in general will get you a good idea. They aren't too much cheaper than others TBH, reach out to some vendors. I bought my Radflo's from Dave's off-road supply valved to my specs.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They suck.

I ordered a set of their 2.0 14" travel coil over shocks. They were leaking out of the box and were not valved as I ordered. During the pre-use rebuild, I found a bunch of metal shavings and crap in the oil from the manufacturing process. When I took them on the first trip they started leaking past the IFP. Called and was told I would have to order a rebuild kit. Did that, then noticed the inside of the reservoirs were scoured from the manufacturing process and there was no way a O-ring would survive more than a short time. I called and this time I got a set of reservoirs sent to me free of charge. I rebuilt them again. By this time I was done so I sold them on CL for $180.

Bought a set of Radflo's which were at my door in less than ten days, with custom valving and charged with nitrogen. I bolted them on and haven't had any issues since.

You get what you pay for.

Edit: Dave's Off-Road Supply has the best customer service, and will match any price out there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I got Radflo's because I like smaller companies and Fox was 10 weeks out for custom valve orders.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Fox are on the shelf at Accutune.
Indeed but I got a better price and supported a local business with awesome customer service buying through Dave. 2 weeks waiting for a project that's been in the works for a year isn't bad considering I'm on the east coast.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Davesoffroadsupply and Radflo: I have been using Dave for everything off-road since I found him on Pirate. He has the best customer service and can get nearly everything you need for the same or better price than somewhere else. He is just an all around good guy with great business ethics. Every problem I have had he has taken care or saw to it it was taken care by his vendors, all of which were not his fault. Everyone I know who asks me where to get off-road stuff gets referred to Dave.

Radflo is a great company. After I ordered the shocks through Dave, I realized I would have to disassemble new shocks to install the triple rate springs I use. I called Radflo and the owner's wife answers the phone. She gets the owner on the phone, who puts me on a brief hold, then says my shocks are next in line to be built. If I want, he can set aside my shocks until I send him my triple rate springs and follower. He will have them installed during the build process. I sent them via flat rate and still got my shocks within 10 days of ordering them through Dave. I had a few questions, and when I called I was sent to the dude who builds the shocks, remembered mine, and quickly and helpfully answered all my questions. I love the way the shocks seem to figure out what terrain I am driving on and adjust, especially on the highway. I get some body roll for the first few miles, then it goes away.

When I called FOA, it depended upon who answered the phone but most were trying to end the calls as quickly as possible. It seemed like the new guys had to answer the phone. This was about 5 years ago so I don't have any current information as to customer service.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
Davesoffroadsupply and Radflo: I have been using Dave for everything off-road since I found him on Pirate. He has the best customer service and can get nearly everything you need for the same or better price than somewhere else. He is just an all around good guy with great business ethics. Every problem I have had he has taken care or saw to it it was taken care by his vendors, all of which were not his fault. Everyone I know who asks me where to get off-road stuff gets referred to Dave.
x2 ive had the exact same experience spending thousands with dave :smokin: havent bought anything lately but next time i do it will be through dave

oh yea fuck FOA :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had considered getting some FOA's for a hot minute, because the price was right, but you get what you pay for in this world. I did a lot more reading and research and it sounded like it was pretty much guaranteed that you would need to rebuild them before use. People report bad/leaky seals, I've seen where the oil is drained and there is junk in the factory oil, and the finish is prone to rusting. I live in the PNW, so it's wet here a lot, and I didn't want new coilovers sitting rusted under my rig. I had narrowed it down to Fox and Radflo after more research, and was leaning heavily toward Radflo, but ultimately went with ORIs due to packaging and tuning for what I use my rig for. If you still want coilovers, look at Radflo and Fox more. If you aren't 100% sold on coilovers, look at ORI, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
Leak on Arrival
i actually had the total opposite problem, the seals in the bump stops were so tight that once the axle compressed the bump stop the shaft wouldnt come back out, even charged with 200psi :laughing:

waited almost a year on new seals that never came, ended up getting a refund thankfully

·
W6FTW
3,818 Posts
Junk junk junk.

Mine leaked in the resis at the ifp. Got new resis. Took them apart and found a ton of metal shavings. The bleed holes were done so horribly, half the hole was punched thru at tye wear band. The piston wasnt flat so the shims wouldnt even sit flat. Put them together and they leaked again. Rebuilt it, and sold them.

I thought they were good for shims since the trunnion is the same as kings. They couldnt even ship out the right size, 3 times! Wayne (zukizzy) had the shims i needed, and sent them out to me.

Wayne has also stated on here if he works on them, he charges extra because the machining is so horrible

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I bought an XJ based crawler for parts that had a set of 14" FOA's. Sold everything I didn't need, kept them purely for mock up. Not aescetically pleasing, look and feel cheap, was told they were run twice. Leak like a MF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts