Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy wants to make up a cheap lift. We did some j-yard digging and can get a deal on a 1988 f150 front end for $125 complete.

The explorer is a 92. v-6 auto

Thinking of using at least the coils and the arms. The coils measured 4 inches longer (in vehicle) the the explorer and the arms were 21" long. or the whole damn thing.

This would be a general trial rig for here in E. TN. 33 inch tires is where we want to start at.

Wadda you think.

wp

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
this might help a little..

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You won't be able to use much more than just the coils on your stock axle. F-150 radius arms are a bit narrower where they go around the axle and won't fit. As mentioned in that above link, you may not be able to align it if the coils net more than 2" or so lift, either.

As for swapping the D44 axle itself in to go fullwidth, its fairly straightforward, you'll have to mount the coil buckets on the frame outward 2" or so, and modify the radius arm mounts.
A 1988 F-150 D44 is still a TTB axle (like your Explorer). I'm sure someone's gonna jump in here before this post is done and tell you its junk or weak or something and not to bother with it, but I still say go for it. The flex & stability gains from it being fullwidth are still just the same if you know what to do with it (get the rear axle from the f-150 to match, also).

Make sure that axle has real (normal) locking hubs on it. 1987, and some 1988 had a flange mount hub that is weaker than regular hubs (and is not upgradable, except by swapping to rotors & stuff from another year).

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
the f150 arms work but you have to make concessions, they are a bit longer < a lil over 3 inches so you have to pop the cab mounts loose to relocate the radius arm brackets back. i was only able to have 3 bolts on the body mount bracket after that. but this will alco accomplish a few things, it lowers the radius arm to match the mild lift and the longer length offers less caster chenge ect. the shock mounts to the top so you can keep you stock shocks, which obviously is potentially travel limiting. on my ext cab when it had a 2.9 this netted 3 inches of lift for ahwile but it quickly settled to 2.5 with some airtime. camber bushings were able to align it no problem. with the v8/winch it really sags.

that is with stock pivots.

·
Registered
85 Posts
extend the arms to clear the mount

they sell weld on extenions that weld to the arm, and make it i think 12 inches longer, this would prolly make it so u could run the bracket behind the mount. I think Bent and Twisted Makes em.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info.

For $125 I think were going that way. It had lock-out on it.

Understanding there will be modifications were ready to make changes as we go no biggie.

The explorer links were 19.5" the way i measure i got 21' with the f-150 stuff.

CAn any on the EB stuff be used ? like the coils or the c-bushings. BC has good coild wed like to use maybe.

wp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts