Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 F150 with 4" rancho lift and 35's and switch button transfer case. Last week I swapped in 4:56 gears in the rear and I am getting ready to do the front. In order to save as much down time as possible, I retrieved a 8.8 center section out of a same year expedition from the local junk yard. I assumed they were the same, but after comparing them it looks like the only difference is that my differential has a vacuum/electric disconnect., and The differential out of the wrecking yard just has the shield and no actuator at all. My question is can I still swap them? Will it work? I would love to eliminate one more thing to give me trouble or to go out...but not at the expense of bad fuel mileage, worn tires/driveline, or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure I know the answer...but wanted to double check anyway because I am not very familiar with Fords...yet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The vacuum disconnect is similar to the dodge CAD. The internals should interchange between housings, but you can use it to install the gears and carrier, then when you swap the hoisings, you can swap the shafts, keeping swap time to a minimum...

SVT

·
Registered
278 Posts
most expeditions were AWD. reason for no CAD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts