Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We mocked up the F-150's on the rear of the cruzah today, and when flat, the rear eye of the spring would stick out ~6" from the back bumper! Oops, there goes the departure angle, and oh damn if I back into a rock...

We were thinking... maybe stock waggy springs? I can't find any local 55 springs...so that's out, and I kinda want something longer than that... in the 48" range (following the curve of the spring)

Any ideas? SOA 40, stock 40 pack up front (soon), I have wrap bars. Previous springs were reversed stock 40's. Driveshaft length is not an issue.. Jesse's getting an order.

Would like to keep the front side of the spring around 22-24" (following the curve)

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
They worked real well for me, but we also added 8" to the overall length.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey no more views for your thread about chopping your rig! :D

We were looking at that today... I'm still a few steps behind ya.. like finally going SO/SR...

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
i believe the jerk on this board is also running f150 springs i stayed with the stock toyota springs haven't wheeled it yet so i don't know about the flex but the set up was easy and straight forward

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am running the fullsize Bronco springs, same length just a little heavier. They work great, but you have to run the long side of the spring toward the center of the rig. This will give you roughly the same distance from the axle to the shackle as stock.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
I am installing fullsize chevy rear springs on my 40. they're about 53" eye to eye, I moved the front hanger forward about 3 inches, (the rearward rivet hole on the forward most rivet, right distance and will keep it all square) I kept the rear shackel hanger in the stock location, layed the shackel flat rearward paralel with the frame, and attached the stock chevy shackel (flipped) to the rear of the stock shackel.
it actully went pretty easy. I went spring over a dana 60. and the 73 to 87 1/2 ton rears have 5 leaves and the overload, (which I will remove) but you can remove springs if nec. until desired ride is aquired. and the spring ends are all tapered.
just my .02.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running the long side towards the center defeats the purpose... The benefits of having an equal lenth or LONGER side of the spring on the shackle end has been well gone over.

I picked up a front spring for a straight axle P/U today.. it looks like an aftermarket pack, not much lift, but only 3 springs, and they are kinda thick. The plan is to hybrid-up the pack until the desired height is achieved.

it's about 48" if you follow the spring's arch, and a centered pin.

It's the right length... now to see if it's soft enough...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Eskimo said:
Running the long side towards the center defeats the purpose... The benefits of having an equal lenth or LONGER side of the spring on the shackle end has been well gone over.

Could you please elaborate on these benefits. I have seen no downfall to running the long side at the solid end of the spring. Mine articulates awsome, rides nice, handles good and has very little axle wrap, even with the Big-Block pushing it. What more could you want out of leaf springs.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
it tilts the pinion in the proper direction while the suspension cycles.

Oh, and Jimmy's (the jerk) springs stick out past the rear bumper... I'm not sure if I'm comfy with that...

·
Registered
986 Posts
toyota rears are 48" un to 88 and in 89 went to 51" the 48" are an offset spring pin by 2"

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna go ahead and run 7-leaf waggy's in the rear, but in the front....

I cannot decide between a cruiser pack (stock 40), or another 7-leaf Waggy pack. AARGH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts