Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the intakes for clearence reasons in the EB when I install my 86 f150 motor. Do I need to change the both the upper and lower intakes or just the upper, and is there any different wireing on the mustang intake that will need to be changed. Also can I reuse the rail fuel pump or do you suggest an aftermarket fuel pump thanks:confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops

uh that would be, What is a 302/5.0 Alex?:D

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The F-150 has a different manifold than a Mustang manifold. The Mustang TB connection is straight while the truck one is angled.
So Id just use the mustang air intake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
you will need the upper and lower plenums to do this swap. also need the mustang throttle body and egr spacer.
the sensors should all be the same (act, ect, and temp sender) so the wiring should work.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In order to swap over you will have to choices. Either upper and lower from the car(HO best offer for the upper), or buy an after market upper (from Holley, at least they used to make them) that bolts to the truck lower. By the way the stock truck lower with a little work is one of the best flowing lower that you can get.

Now that you have so setup that fits under your hood you are also going to need to get the Mustang TB, EGR plate, and other required items that will not swap over.

Now that you got everything swapped over, and still running bank fire injectors. You will now have an engine that didn't proform like it did. The truck cam and bank fire injection likes the longer truck runners, and the huge double TB.

Your two best options are to make the intake fit your vehical, ie hood scoope or what ever, or complete HO engine.

The only time you need to increase the fuel pump is once you step up to 24# injectors. Fuel rails upgrade over 30# injectors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have to work with what ive got

At this time I have an 86 f150 302 and My buddy has the whole upper and lower intakes ( tb and stuff ) from a mustang but i dont think they are HO. Also will I have to use the mustang injectors ? What are the problems that will arise from swapping the intakes from motor to motor? will it run bad or just slightly less power from the swap? If it is going to incompatable and run like crap I will go ahead and put the hood scoop on but that is not the look that i was going for. I just was hoping to swap the intakes and TB stuff and drop the whole thing in. as you were saying about the lower intake shold i work on it if i reuse it ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I went back and did some looking around. The intakes that your friend has, should work out alright. I have not compared the two, but Ford was noted for using the same parts on most of there vehicals. So the plug for the IAC, TPS, EGR may be the same. You should keep the injectors that are in there, should be the same 19# ones the stangs used. However, I have heard rumors that the early truck engines used a 14# injector. But since you are not going to get a fuel pressure regulator, I would keep the ones you have.

The truck lower intake has the largest of all factory runners, yes they are larger the GT-40 or Cobra. But more importantly they have the thickest casting, so you can port them out. That is why they made uppers that fit all the mustang stuff, that fits the truck lower. However porting the lower will only be worth while if you have a bunch of other internal upgrades.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts