Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off with the brackets and then start buildin' off of them. They bolt to the factory 4 front bolt holes and then to the three old tow hook mounts.

Next, we built the winch box out of some 1/4" plate. We milled out the fairlead holes.

Then we gusseted the SHIT out of it.

Mark Threw down some damn good welds.

Enclosed the rest of the box with some more 1/4".

Started buildin' off the box with some 3/16".

Finally startin to look like a bumper.

Doin' what he does best.

All welded up. Now The grindin' starts.

Machined some big ol' Z71 pull points.

Layed down some fat ass welds on those.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Looks FUCKIN A AWESOME good. Love the way the bodywork melts into the bumper, and vice versa.

I have one concern that you may have already addressed. Where is your access to the remote plug in, and free spool lever? Having spent a lil time buried up to the doors, thats one of the first things I think about and it disturbs me when I don't know where my freespool lever/remote plug-ins are

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
looks good, must have taken a long time getting all the peices to line up right. Did a few that way, now 90% of my shit is one peace bent up - me likes though :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
looks good, must have taken a long time getting all the peices to line up right. Did a few that way, now 90% of my shit is one peace bent up - me likes though :D
yeah fuck that one by one shit. ill never do that again.

i really like the way the outersides look... below the headlights. sick build.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks FUCKIN A AWESOME good. Love the way the bodywork melts into the bumper, and vice versa.

I have one concern that you may have already addressed. Where is your access to the remote plug in, and free spool lever? Having spent a lil time buried up to the doors, thats one of the first things I think about and it disturbs me when I don't know where my freespool lever/remote plug-ins are
the free spool lever has a cutout in the top of the bumper so you can reach your hand in there. the remote plug is going to be in the grille.

·
Registered
270 Posts
very nice. you wouldnt happen to have a cad drawing of that would you?:D
been wanting a new front bumper since i got my 350. i'm gonna owe you royalties, i think i wanna make mine similar to yours.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Damn nice bumper! Wonder how much badassier the tow rig would look with something like that on it!

Only thing I see...how much does it affect airflow to the rad/intercooler?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i made about a 5 hour round trip this past weekend and i didn't notice any change in temperatures
Cool deal.

The only reason I brought that up is because I remember hearing from a Ford tech when the first gen SD's came out (99's), that Ford was having some overheating issues due to aftermarket bumpers restricting airflow to the intercooler/rad.

But then again, how many hundreds upon hundreds of SD's have you seen running all over with the same style bumper, with no issues at all.

Again, good job, good build, where can I get one? :D

BTW, where didja get those smoked headlamps/corner lenses? Are the the factory Harley ones?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i found the headlights on ebay. my truck is an early 99 and i have had no overheating problems.

I don't have the winch in it yet(waiting on parts to rebuild it, got it used) I installed the bumper by myself I would guess it probably around 80 lbs. but don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
the free spool lever has a cutout in the top of the bumper so you can reach your hand in there. the remote plug is going to be in the grille.
My concerns are now alleviated. Ignore all comments on concerns, and pay attention only to the props! That thing is so fuckin slick! Totally diggin it, keep up the killer work

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice work and nice rig.
whats lift and what size tires you got
Looks real nice.
you got any wheeling shots.
How does the 5.4 liter move it?
you got a manual?

thanks for your help and info

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a 99 7.3 POWERSTROKE no 5.4 here. 6 speed. 6'' lift danahoe racing front spings and a 2'' cage off-road add-a-leaf rear. Its got big gay 20'' chrome wheels and 36x15.50 MTZ's. I love these tires for what i use the truck for.
It's got a 4'' straight pipe, intake, and 140 horse chip. By no means is it a "fast" truck, but it moves alright.
It's my daily driver and my tow rig it pulls my 73 bronco with ease and thats all that really matters.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
this is the best wheelin pic that i have of it that doesn't include mud

We were running some trails in colorado this summer. the Truck literally beat us to death, so it stayed with the trailer most of the time.
I do love the granny gear with the t case in low and all the torque off the diesel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dam that v8 symbol on the fender threw me off
mud shots are cool with me

1 - 20 of 42 Posts