Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's
Can anybody give me some details on where to buy a bulletproof 4R100 from?
I can't remember the details of who I spoke to in the USA late last year, they seemed very good at what they do..
I don't think it was BTS...
Any help would be great..
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
build it yourself??

you can source all the parts easy enough and come out a lot cheaper

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I would not buy an ATS trans. I have seen more than my fair share of problems with the shit they put together. Dont be fooled by their viscous 5 plate converter. Garbage IMO. Brians Truck Shop would be the place to buy one.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I would not buy an ATS trans. I have seen more than my fair share of problems with the shit they put together. Dont be fooled by their viscous 5 plate converter. Garbage IMO. Brians Truck Shop would be the place to buy one.

Yep.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Holy shit those trannies are expensive. Dang, I could build one that is pretty much bombproof for any street truck for less money than that for sure.
Hey now watch it buddy! They are hardly anymore than a bts :flipoff2:

Keith I know you're a smart guy when it comes to transmissions... But John's resume is pretty impressive and has been doing transmissions a LONG time. There are more and more big power psd's starting to runs johns transmissions... so he must be doing something right. Many of those guys have ran just about everyone eles' trans. After calling John and talking to him about his trans I decided to have him build me one. During my family vacation to disneyland back in feb, I peeled out one morning from LA and drove the couple hundred miles to his shop. I spent the day at his shop watching nearly every step of what he does. He puts ALOT of brand new parts in them just because. John said and showed me that basically everything that makes the 4r100 fail is a cheap part, plastic, snap-rings etc. He does some custom machine work to replace plastic washers with bearings (I forget the damn name), modifies the center load support to fit the case tighter, better snap rings and machine work to fit them, more clutch frictions and machine work for them. I don't recall everything... I saw so much at once I was on data overload. His torque convertor is better than that stupid purple tc BTS uses :flipoff2: (you have to ask him to show you in person though) John isn't just slapping some other vendors parts inside his trans and claiming it as his. Johns transmissions are a far cry from a stock rebuild with some billet shafts and billet tc. He has improved upon all the little stupid failure points and fixes them when he builds a trans. I saw the inside of another 4r100 while I was there that was just his stage one build. It was torn down for a slipping issue in a 600rwhp race truck that was getting compound turbo's next. After tearing it down, John said and I quote "There's nothing wrong with this damn thing, it could have been fixed with programming". :laughing:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I bought a BTS "Brians" when I had my '99 F250, in short...best thing I could have ever done to that truck!!! Awesome service and a heck of a family to deal with:smokin:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Aaron, no doubt those are strong trannies, just spendy for what the average guy needs. You can replace the plastic thrust washers with bronze, they come in the thrust washer kit. You can buy six pinion planet sets that are machined to accept torrington bearings instead of washers, the tugger shift kit from transgo has the two snap rings that are prone to fail (coast clutch and overdrive pistons), you can install Red Eagle clutches and kolenes which increase the number of plates, you can install a 4 plate coast clutch drum, install a heavy duty intermediate sprag, one piece rear case bushing, PWM to ON/OFF tcc valve, a .427 boost valve, drill the drain back hole in the front pump cover, machine the OD planet where it rides in the hub and put a bushing in the hub, drill the cup plug .030" in the foward drum for lube oil, and yes, install the purple converter that BTS uses. (that is a Precision Industries unit, IMO the BEST anyone sells.) A billet OD hub and output shaft would be nice if you had 1000ft/lbs of torque, but normal street trucks pulling 5th wheels around dont need it.

I have built dozens upon dozens of 4r100 and E4OD's. The 4R100's already have steel planets, why upgrade if they are in good shape? I put a tugger kit, one piece bushing, red eagles clutches, HD intermediate sprag, PWM to ON/OFF valve, block the coast clutch valve on, drill the pump, replace the thrust washers, normal soft parts, a quality billet converter, a little of thisis and a little of thats, and not one has blown up yet. Rigs ranging from stock motors, to boom trucks, to rigs with stacked programs/propane/water and methanol injection, small 30 passenger buses, etc.

You can come hold my dick while a build a trans if you likie! :flipoff2:

Basically, a few minor mods, a tugger kit, good converter and cooler even on stock clutches is a pretty darn strong 4R100 capable of pulling your 18klb fifth wheel anywhere you want to go, even with a strong program in the ECM

I did say, has not blown up yet, right?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Buy a stock one from Ford and put it in yourself. Do not buy an aftermarket tranny. They are all junk and a lot of hype. The stock trannies are excellent. I own a transportation company and we have used these trucks and tannies for many years pulling trailers every night up the summit on I-80 (long pull). For example...my 2001 had 360,000 miles when I sold it, pulling a trailer everyday of its life and the tranny had never been out. Change the oil and filter every 50,000 and keep the overdrive off at anything under 50 mp.h.
I have had drivers get caught up in the hype on quite a few after market trannies by reputable shops and we have only seen around 80,000 miles at the most.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Buy a stock one from Ford and put it in yourself. Do not buy an aftermarket tranny. They are all junk and a lot of hype. The stock trannies are excellent. I own a transportation company and we have used these trucks and tannies for many years pulling trailers every night up the summit on I-80 (long pull). For example...my 2001 had 360,000 miles when I sold it, pulling a trailer everyday of its life and the tranny had never been out. Change the oil and filter every 50,000 and keep the overdrive off at anything under 50 mp.h.
I have had drivers get caught up in the hype on quite a few after market trannies by reputable shops and we have only seen around 80,000 miles at the most.
Yeah, and my 2001 had less than 150k when she blew up the 3rd one.
If your gonna run the chip, ya gotta build the tranny....

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Aaron, no doubt those are strong trannies, just spendy for what the average guy needs. You can replace the plastic thrust washers with bronze, they come in the thrust washer kit. You can buy six pinion planet sets that are machined to accept torrington bearings instead of washers, the tugger shift kit from transgo has the two snap rings that are prone to fail (coast clutch and overdrive pistons), you can install Red Eagle clutches and kolenes which increase the number of plates, you can install a 4 plate coast clutch drum, install a heavy duty intermediate sprag, one piece rear case bushing, PWM to ON/OFF tcc valve, a .427 boost valve, drill the drain back hole in the front pump cover, machine the OD planet where it rides in the hub and put a bushing in the hub, drill the cup plug .030" in the foward drum for lube oil, and yes, install the purple converter that BTS uses. (that is a Precision Industries unit, IMO the BEST anyone sells.) A billet OD hub and output shaft would be nice if you had 1000ft/lbs of torque, but normal street trucks pulling 5th wheels around dont need it.

I have built dozens upon dozens of 4r100 and E4OD's. The 4R100's already have steel planets, why upgrade if they are in good shape? I put a tugger kit, one piece bushing, red eagles clutches, HD intermediate sprag, PWM to ON/OFF valve, block the coast clutch valve on, drill the pump, replace the thrust washers, normal soft parts, a quality billet converter, a little of thisis and a little of thats, and not one has blown up yet. Rigs ranging from stock motors, to boom trucks, to rigs with stacked programs/propane/water and methanol injection, small 30 passenger buses, etc.

Basically, a few minor mods, a tugger kit, good converter and cooler even on stock clutches is a pretty darn strong 4R100 capable of pulling your 18klb fifth wheel anywhere you want to go, even with a strong program in the ECM

Keith, in your copius free time... :laughing: you should give john a call sometime and chat with him. I'm sure he'd share with you why and what all he does. If it turns out the man is a complete idiot and I made a bad decision... I'm sure you'll tell me :flipoff2:

The TC in my trans is a new 6.0 unit modified into a billet monster... the 6.0 is a different stall speed and there is a real seat of the pants difference with it. I don't want to put words in the man's mouth as I don't completely understand what all he does and why. He showed me things that were pretty much over my head... :lmao: and seemed to make a valid argument IMO.

Aside from the normal farm trucks, tow rigs and dd's, john has transmissions in fully built psd drag trucks, puller trucks, pro desert trucks and they hold together. These guys are making WAY more power than just a *chip* and some propane will do. These are trucks with fully built motors that cost 10's of thousands of dollars. (fuckin fords are always so damn expensive to build) :shaking:

But yes I agree, the average guy... does not need a $5k trans. I already run some hot custom tunes with a larger turbo, have a solid 300+rwhp/700+tq tow bitch. My entire setup is pushing 20k and I have a lot of nasty hills to pull over just to hit flat ground only to go up even more hills. I plan to upsize what I'm towing in the future, add in some larger injectors and hopefully compound turbo's. My trans is the last thing I wanted to worry about :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I did my Cummins conversion in my Ford, I had Brian with Brians Truck Shop (BTS) build my trans and I have been extremely happy with it. I know quite a few who run his transmissions with no problems and with 100k miles with the most of that towing and running chips/programmers.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Ha, thats funaaay. I have built several Ford reman trannies lately. I have even installed some I bought direct from Ford and two of them crapped out in a week. Im not saying they are junk, just that there are many upgrades you can do.

Aaron, I dont think you made a bad decision at all. Bottom line is, you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

:laughing: This is sounding about like the thread that was started a while back where I stated that it was my opinion that others could replicate most, if not all of what the big name builders put in their 4r100s. I got slammed stating that I didn't know what I was talking about too.

It is really funny to me how so many people think that only a select few people can build a durable transmission that will be more than what most people need. I wonder how many of those guys have actually ever been inside a tranny to know what they are really talking about.

Keith, thanks for the info. It is pretty close to what I've been planning on doing with my dad's 4r100 when it finally dies. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts