Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the tow rigs board, but here we go. I have a 2001 F250 SD that I put a 4" lift kit on. The kit is generic Pro Comp kit that has blocks in the rear and new springs up front. I torqued all the bolts as specified. When I am driving the truck I can hear and feel a squeaking noise coming from the front driver side of the truck when ever I make a turn. I have re-inspected ever thing under the truck and cannot figure out what is causing the noise. I have also replaced the front ball joints and had the truck alignment done. The noise and feeling has been getting a little more prominent lately. Does anyone have some suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
My 08 started doing it after a 6" lift. It ended up being the driver side away bar bushing. I sprayed some wd40 in it and the noise went away.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I I sprayed WD40 on all the joints and bushing today and took it for a test drive and it is still making the squeak / grinding noise. Help?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Is the noise only when turning?
Can you jump up and down on the bumper and recreate the noise?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
When you installed the lift, did you install larger tires and any aftermarket steering stabilizers? Can you feel it through the steering wheel? My power steering complained a lot when I put on 37s with an aftermarket dual stabilizer, but the noise went away after I removed the stock stabilizer. Too much pressure on the steering components? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
My steering box on my 04 squealed when it was on its way out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise is the most prominent when turning but soemtimes can hear and feel it when I hit a large bump, it is always on the drivers side. I do have dual aftermarket steering stabalizers on the truck, but they were on prior to the lift kit. Currently it rides on 35" tires on stock rims.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I can add a bit more info as I drove the truck today. The I can feel the squeak or more of a grone directly under my feet. the grone is the worst when I turn the wheels when not moving. any more ideas?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the unit bearing had gon bad on the driver side would I feel it through the floor board though? Because I can feel the creak and grone through the floor boards directly under my feet.

·
blatant asshole
11,828 Posts
if you can feel it when standing still and turning the steering wheel it is not the unit brg.

steering box, something rubbing the steering linkage, the springs shifting in the shackle/hanger, there is a tsb on the cab mounts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I torqued everything while the truck was in the air when installing he lift kit...I have since rechecked all the components at least a dozen times.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
That'll bind your shit up. Loosen up all of the spring/shackle bolts. Set the bitch on the ground and proceed to tighten it all back down.

·
Registered
278 Posts
2001 has leaf spring front. check this, I had my leaf springs twisting when I turned the wheel on my old FSJ. made a groan and pops when I turned the wheel sitting still. the leaf pack was twisting on itself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts