Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 F350 Powerstroke has had the tranny rebuilt twice in the last month. The first time it went out it started making bearing noise on the way back from a comp in TN. I took it out and had it rebuilt (160k) and thought that I had let the fluid go bad. When I went to put it back in I noticed that the main shaft had ate out the pilot bearing completely. I put a new one in along with a new throw out bearing and went on my way again. 5k later it was making bearing noise again and was throwing fluid out of the front and the back. I took it out again and took it back to the rebuilder and they fixed it for free. They had to put in a new main shaft again as it had ate out the pilot bearing again, I could also feel it surging while I was pulling my trailer up hills. So next I had the flywheel resurfaced, put in a new clutch, throw out bearing, pilot BUSHING and a new push fork. Once it was all back together it makes noise at idle and then goes away when the clutch is pushed in. I am afraid to drive it now because I think something is still wrong. Could my crank somehow have run-out or is the tranny guy just not getting it right?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will never do a bench job on a manual trans without driving it first, Too many people say that they are just noisy and then after i build it it suddenly jumps out of gear now:shaking:

You can check the runout on the crank by just having someone crank the engine while you look at the pilot. Are you sure its throwing fluid out the front and the back?

The noise at idle that goes away is something to be concerned about, i assume it does it with the clutch engauged and the tranny in N?

Brendan

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you mention that, after the first rebuild it was popping out of third gear. It was losing fluid after the first rebuild, it was slinging it all down the underside of the truck and all over my trailer. I didnt notice it until it was too late (bearing noise) as we were traveling from PA to MO. The tranny shop fixed it again and I put it back in with all of the new parts and now it is making noise. I test drove it and then parked it and I am trying to figure out what to do next. Is it possible there is some crank run-out causing a problem? I do not have a leaky rear main seal.

Derek

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I will see you in Texas. I may try them, I have an account with Ford Truck Enthusiasts but I cant seem to remember my password.

Derek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts