Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a dana 60 from a 99-03 f450 to put in my Excursion.
The reason is I have 35's and 3.73's right now with a v10. My lift is basically a leveled f350 (bastard spring packs). I'm looking to go to 4.88's and possibly 37" tires. But the tire thing can be a later thing. I like the idea of the f450 axle due to its width (my 35's rub springs), its strength over the dana 50 and it already has 4.88's in it. I thought I could re-sell the hub adapters and get some money back justifying the purchase vs. putting 4.88's in a d50.
I also thought swapping the knckles out with the d50 knuckles onto the f450 d60 axle. Just so I don't have to buy larger wheels because of the brakes - even though the 37" tire options seem slim in the 16" wheel department.

Has anyone done this swap with any insight for me?

Should I sell the brakes?

Keep the brakes- buy larger wheels?

Do I need a different master cylinder if I do keep them?

Would the knuckles swap between axles so I could sell the entire d50 axle with the f450 brakes?

I'm not even entirely sure what size wheel I would need to clear the big 14.5" brakes. Maybe a stock ford steel 17" with some grinding of the caliper and bracket? Not even sure there is a 17" steel wheel option from the 99-04 SD fords.

Tim

·
Registered
604 Posts
17" wheels will work, keep the F450 brakes, buy larger wheels, just use F350 unit bearings for 8-lugs. Not sure on the master cylinder, I'm doing my swap right now and I'm going to run the stock master cylinder (2004 Chevy Suburban 1500) and see how it does.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I havent been around one for few years so I could be misremembering but I think 04 F450 just had a normal F350 axle with the dually adapter that went from 8x170 to 8x225. 13" F350 rotors and all. 05+ 450-550 10 lug was the ones you had to use F350 8 lug UB with 04 F550 14.5" 8 lug rotor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to drive up next week to get the axle. So I'm not going to have much until then. Looking at replacement inner axles, the measurements are about an inch longer each side for 99-04 f450/550. Overall, wms to wms was also confirmed to be about 2" overall wider from a seller on EastBay who has one. Factory steel wheels are real cheap (just like me), but the 17" and larger sizes are the wrong offset/backspace. I think I'm going to try swaping knuckles first since my 35's are almost new. Then when it's time for tires again I'll pull the f450 knuckles out of storage and at that time buy wheels and tires.... If everything fits. I'll post up information in a week or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The axle is home. I have yet to put it under the Ford. It is 2" wider than my dana 50 (minus the 8x225 adapters), and the brakes are huge. I wish I had the means to justify putting them on now but wheels and tires just aren't in the budget after buying the axle and gear set for the rear. So, swapping the knuckles is going to have to to happen. The caliper mounting bracket won't swap over. It's bigger too, so the whole knuckle has to go on.

So as of now I'm gaining
-Clearance by moving my axle an inch forward
-Each wheel will be an inch out-board without the use of spacers
-4.88 gears
-Dana 60!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts