Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
fab shop tools edited CA guys look!!!

what kinda tools do you think a fabrication shop should have to make the kinda parts we build for our rigs. I am just wondering because i am close to opening a shop since there are very few for this kinda sport in our area. This is what we have and what we are looking at so far ( remember I am a machinist also):emb4:

manual bridgeport mill and tooling
16x72" southbend lathe
42" radial arm drill
10" horizontal band saw
24" plate brake
50 ton press
large set of torches
hypertherm 1250 plasma cutter
lincoln 255 mig welder
Hossfeld bender with alot of attachments bends plate ,bar, angle, channel, pipe, tube whatever basicly.
5x10 fab table
chop saw
basic hand tools
grinders
air tools
yada,yada,yada ........

I need a fellow machinist that knows about cnc machines to look at a machine for me I have spoke with a person selling it and would like to have another opinion on it. the seller lives in Temecula, CA if anyone close is interested I will make it worth there while.

Machine pic is at end of thread !!!!!

thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Slip Rolls (Wheel tubs,etc)
Bead roller (for custom dash & Gauge panels)

Good luck in your venture!:)
WEPS

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
an iron worker would be slick for making brackets. Expensive, but when your on the clock nothing is faster than punching holes. They also have dies for making slots. Very Very handy.

If you going to get a cnc mill, dont even bother getting a manual. Just get a bridgport EZ track DXII or better. Get the largest travel you can afford, and go ahead and get power Z axiz too. Power draw bar is important too. If you get any other mill, your going to be dissapointed. The bridgports are the best mill on the market for use in job shops, IMHO. Not many CNC's can say that they make a better manual machine than a manual machine. Canned cycles are where its at, and no doubt Bridgport is the best.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hell yeah

No help with the tools but, I live in Monroe and would love to have a fab shop close by. When do you open? Where? Let me know what's up!! Judd :D :cool: :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dont forget..alot of liquid assets (to get you through) and also a good (I cant stress this enough) lawyer/law firm and a good insurance firm. I really wonder what all these people on this board do for insurance with all the side work and mainstream work they do. This aspect alone would deter most shops from even starting.

On the tool part..we have everything on your list (except for the radial) and also the CNC plasma table, CNC bender, Mittler Bros Notcher..ACad and Solid Works Workstations..yada,yada,yada and the most important thing is still the law firm/insurance agent that has our back in our opinion..we are in Ohio if you ever get down this way:D

Larry

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought about an Ironworker in most cases but I am still looking at the cost$$$$$$ they are pricy.

we are looking at buying a haas toolroom mill we have one at work and i like it very much because of its versatility.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would second (third?) the job-shop CNC mill. Guys like Haas and others are making them easier and cheaper than ever. You got your basic cans, plus you can run 'em manually without it being a major pain.

I would also include a multiprocess tig/stick machine.

I would think about waiting on a big radial arm drill press. They are pricy, and unless you are doing precision work on thick steel, you can achieve roughly the same results with a porta-mag.

Sounds like fun.....would love to sit down over a beer and BS with you about it......where in Lambertville do you live?

Jay

·
Registered
774 Posts
good luck on the venture. I also would look for a iron works machine, faster to punch holes and shear items on it.

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i have the radial arm but getting ready to sell it jus cause i never use it and its just not something that we need but i live in colective society with my wife around what ever i get i try to keep.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am going to a shop tommorow that a guy is geting rid f alll his tools i will look for some of the things you are looking for.

·
Registered
777 Posts
sorry for the Hijack ;)

but Larry,where you at in Ohio?

·
Registered
350 Posts
That Haas looks clean! Is it a demo or something? If it's used, they sure cleaned it up! How much is it going to cost you to rig that thing from CA?

Jay

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i could check it out but i know nothing about it. if you want photos and videos of him demoing it i can do that...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I live in temecula and I grew up in my dads tool and die shop(which is in WI)
seems to me that most of the manufacturing places that have these types of machines are in the midwest. With the current influx of manufacturing jobs going overseas, you should be able to find stuff thats a lot closer from a job shop thats closing. When dad was starting out in the garage he bought stuff dirt cheap locally.... I could hook you up with him if you wanted, or go look at this stuff..... its right in my town, and I can see if everything is working...but I'm no tool/mold maker.

also.....
a wire EDM, broaching machine and a heat treat furnace would be really nice.....and a horizontal mill, and a REALLY big (10 feet high) drill press and...and...and...and...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does the shop you work at or any body you know recieve the "Punch Press" sales paper? I recieve it here at the shop and it is a classified ad paper for mach. and fab equip. It is to fab and machine equip what the "Shotgun News" or "Gun List" is to guns.
get a hold of one there is about 20 CNC Haas mills in the issue here on my desk (old one though). I got my first issue at Barnes & Noble then subscribed. Good Luck

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
skeetshooter i work for a power company i am a maintance machinist for a Nuke plant so we don't get anything like the Punch press, i had forgot about it actually its been so long since i worked in a job shop but yes i will pick one up. Jay it'll cost a little over 650 for shipping so the guy says wieght is 7500 pounds so we'll see how much it costs. I think I will look some more before i go out there there has to be some closer maybe newer that is a 95 machine that was used in a circut board company thats why its so clean.

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh and chief did ya get abit of chatter:eek: with that thing way up in the air like that :flipoff2: wow thats scary man:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts