Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dont flame, but how hard is it to fabb up your own tie rods and drag link?
Is it worth the money to buy the complete hysteer kit or just the arms?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I don't think its all that difficult, but the tools (taps) can be pricey.

Cheaper and easier to buy them from Rockstomper if you only need a set or two, so that's what I do. :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I bought Rockstomper arms and built my TR and DL. A freind of mine has a lathe and drilled the ends out and I welded buns in the ends for my heims. If you've got the tools or access to the tools it saves a little making them. If you need to buy the tools just to do it I'd say it's probly cheaper to buy them. Scott at Rockstomper has got some clean looking stuff and he's a super nice guy to deal with. I got my order 2 day's before he said I'd get it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you have the measurements and the list of tools needed?
I have access to taps and welder, ect,ect. It would be helpful. I dont wanna buy the whole kit and be like fawk, i could have made this, or had it fabbed up cheaper/ . I just dont wanna be TOO cheep on something to do with steering.

Edit: I'm gonna stop bieng cheap and just order the Sky kit since it's on sale.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Drag Link-39 3/4"
Tie Rod-52"

What axle are you using? These are for a full-width Dana 44

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified the measurements. I used 1 1/4" solid round for my stuff and drilled holes for the buns. My measurements are from end of bun to end of bun. Sorry my measurements don't help you,maybe they'll help someone else.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i can get 1.25" 3/16" wall DOM tube for only $1.60 a foot. but trying to figure out a place that has the weldable inserts for the toyota minitruck 21mm tie-rod ends. using those b/c i have them. i can get the righthand tap for free, but i can't get ahold of the lefthand tap. any ideas where i can get the inderts from?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Romeo591 said:
i can get 1.25" 3/16" wall DOM tube for only $1.60 a foot. but trying to figure out a place that has the weldable inserts for the toyota minitruck 21mm tie-rod ends. using those b/c i have them. i can get the righthand tap for free, but i can't get ahold of the lefthand tap. any ideas where i can get the inderts from?
I could never find one ... and the left hand taps are custom make items $$$. I ended up having a machine shop make my lh 21 mm on thier lathe... it still ran almost $50 :rolleyes:

FWIW if I was doing it over and didn't already have arms with the Toy taper I would have definately gone with 1 ton GM TRE's... in addition to being available everywhere they are enough cheaper that alone almost pays for the cost of tracking down 21mm stuff.

·
Registered
964 Posts
We have the 21 and 23 mm taps, left and right hand. Romeo, if you want to send me the rod, I'll tap the left hand thread part for you. You are not that far away so shipping wouldn't be too much. They are pricey for sure! I think in the $130-150 range. I've tried to forget! :)

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
if you want to fab your own just go to the junkyard and get a tie rod from a late 80's blazer or p/u 4x4 it runs the 7/8 tre and all you have to do is cut off the rh thread end and re tap it at the length you want. The drivers side tre is the one with the steering stabilizer hole that can be used on the pass side and re tapered to accept the drag link. The drag link can also be made from a chevy tie rod tube by cutting off the rh thread end to the appropriate length and re tap. Your tool cost is a rh 7/8-18 tap $20 and a chevy tre end taper tool for $60. I can E-mail you all the sources and tre #'s to do it yourself

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Why not do 'em both RH?

How often do you actually adjust your rods?

Also, can carry a single RH end if you wanna carry a spare.

Jay

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
ROKTOY said:
Why not do 'em both RH?

Jay
wouldnt it be a PITA to align it? you have a trail rig but you forget about us DD foolios

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
mobil1syn said:

wouldnt it be a PITA to align it? you have a trail rig but you forget about us DD foolios
Align it the first time and it'll stay.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
ROKTOY said:
Why not do 'em both RH?

Jay
I wish I had just done this...plus you eliminate the long tre with the steering stab mount that always seems to be the one to bend, and I would really like only carrying one short end spare. Another plus is you don't have to try and track down non-existent 21mm jam nuts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
for the little money it'll cost to have them tapped, i know route i'm going.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
ROKTOY said:
Why not do 'em both RH?

Jay
I agree with only needing to bring one RH tre as a spare but I need the LH tre with the stabilizer hole as I like to hook up my drag link to the tie rod as opposed to the pass side steering arm this way you have unlimited droop angle on the drag link end at the tie rod

1 - 20 of 20 Posts