Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently putting heims on my steering and wanted to mount them all double shear.

Decided on cutting the entire pitman arm instead of just adding a plate on the bottom of the arm.

I read everywhere that welding on and altering a pitman arm is a sin so I just wanted to ask if... I'll be ok with this fabricated arm.

FYI tires are 36 TSL's with hydro assist (should lessen stress on the arm)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm currently putting heims on my steering and wanted to mount them all double shear.

Decided on cutting the entire pitman arm instead of just adding a plate on the bottom of the arm.

I read everywhere that welding on and altering a pitman arm is a sin so I just wanted to ask if... I'll be ok with this fabricated arm.

What is the pitman made from, and how do you plan on welding it? Assuming its cast steel of some sort, I woudn't plan on just wire feeding it

did you just cut a stock one and weld to the side of it?
I'd take and make a wrap from one side, around the "stock" part, to the other side and weld all of it.

check this one out
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13629538&postcount=177

^ that looks like the way to do it

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see alot of guys messing with cast arms and having issues with it even more who will build around an arm to make it work. Why not use a chunk of steel and have the splines cut? Then you would have good steel and not cast to weld to. I would think it stronger and easier to build with.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I made one for the old cjunk, similar to the one by SFR, except I left about 1/2 inch of the original arm to give a little more to weld to. I preheated it before welding and then wrapped it while it cooled. Worked fine, sorry no pictures.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Being able to make solid and strong welds is the only thing that is of any real concern.

That's the key right there.

Whether it is a trail only rig or a DD, you are not only taking your safety into your hands, but anyone around you should a steering arm fail.

·
Registered
771 Posts
one of the better ways of using the tapered spline section of the original pitman arm is to grind it into a square or hex and weld that into your top and bottom plates so at least there is some mechanical connection and you're not just trusting a round weld in a round bore with your life....... just sayin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you just cut a stock one and weld to the side of it?
I'd take and make a wrap from one side, around the "stock" part, to the other side and weld all of it.

check this one out
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13629538&postcount=177
This is what I'll do with it.. Will plate the front part too and wrap it over to the other side..

That's what I read too.. that pitman arms are forged, not cast so welding on them shouldn't be a problem (hope its true)

1/4" plate enough?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts