Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although i'm sorta rapidly getting converted over to solid axle thinking for what I actually plan to do, i'm still curiously interested in whats out there for factory independant suspension systems and how they compare to each other in specs...

For instance I read the 2003-2006 Ford Excursion had 9.4 inches of suspension travel front and rear (and was four wheel independant)... i've no clue what the factory chevy IFS (whether 7.25 from the s10, 8.25 from the half ton, or 9.25 from the 3/4up) or dodge IFS systems had but am curious. Same with the AM General Hummer.

Also curious what level of added wheel travel can be safely had (if any, although i've seen aftermarket suspension arms made that claim to give more travel while moving the wheels out... just no clue if that introduces new stresses elsewhere not worth it) for each system with some tweaking. Like if you can gain an inch or two reliably, or even more like 3-4.

Part of this is curious at what point of needed wheel travel solid axles become clearly superior at keeping tires planted on tractable ground. :) (like if independant factory suspensions cant do over 12 inches even with mods, or what the limit is for instance)

Have any of the suspension systems had any degree of toughness/four wheeler respect for moderate use over the others? (i'm aware the chevy 8.25 IFS from the 90's trucks is considered pretty weak off road, others i've no idea what the reputations are, ie ford twin traction beam, but i'd love to hear opinions about them here)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The Excursion was a solid front axle on the 4WD version, the rear was solid on both 2WD and 4WD. 2005 was the last year for production.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts