Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not hard core tech, but I am trying to get a quick answer and any help you can provide would be appreciated.

I just took my '85 4runner to a test-only station in advance of renewing the registration, and although the truck passed every other aspect of the test, it failed the visual because the O2 sensor on my LC Engineering header only tests the emissions of one cylinder rather being in the collector pipe and measuring the emissions of all cylinders.

I haven't found anything very helpful through the search function other than the CARB web site. This will get me the documentation for the CARB exemption, but given the smog tech was unmoved by the CARB sticker, what is the process for approaching him with this info (or what else should I do to get this corrected)? I have a call into LCE, but I am really in a time crunch for getting this done. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I have that header on my '85 and it has gone through CA smog checks about 4 times now. No problems with the sensor location at the shops I have been so, so X2 on finding a different shop.

Since the fuel injectors are gang-fired, 1 cylinder or all 4 should give similar readings, assuming no problems with a single injector or cylinder.

The currnet LC headers have the sensor located down beyond the header collector, although you probably need to lengthen the O2 sensor wiring to reach.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Glad to hear that everything went ok. I would report the guy to the BAR since the header was CARB legal and then take him to small claims court for the fees for having to retest again. He may just settle out of court and you can get your fees back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am contemplating having my credit card company reverse the charge and let him fight it out with me to get paid.

I am also going to determine the process for filing a complaint with the BAR. He had already done this to one other person, and had that guy fought him perhaps I would have had a better experience.

The guy's business is Campbell Every Day Smog, which is run out of a Union 76 station on the NW corner of San Tomas Aquino and Campbell Ave. in Campbell, CA.

One other thing, I do not recall how the factory manifold is set up, but the FSM seems to diagram the stock O2 sensor location as being above the collector pipe. Does the stock set-up only read 1 or 2 cylinders?

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
One other thing, I do not recall how the factory manifold is set up, but the FSM seems to diagram the stock O2 sensor location as being above the collector pipe. Does the stock set-up only read 1 or 2 cylinders?
all 4. the manifold directs 2ports and 2ports into 1 starting at the 02 sensor. then splits again for the flange to the downpipe.
but whether it is reading 1 or 4 it is going to have the same mixture of unburned or burned gases coming though. it just tells the computer to richen up or lean out.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
You are much better off with the O2 sensor at the collector though instead of on the single tube. You get a much better overall reading of how the motors running instead of just one cylinder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I reported this test-only station to the BAR and the guy I spoke with seemed intent on explaining to the proprieter that his opinion does not outweight the finds of CARB. It looks like he will also press to get the fee I paid back to me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Update: I reported this test-only station to the BAR and the guy I spoke with seemed intent on explaining to the proprieter that his opinion does not outweight the finds of CARB. It looks like he will also press to get the fee I paid back to me.

Thats awesome. It's good the hear someone's on your side in that aspect.

·
Banned
470 Posts
If you have a CARB sticker for the headers then you are legal to pass the visual and that's that.

Some of the bozos at the test only stations have shit for brains so treat them like what they are. If you have the sticker and it is indeed CARB legal then tell him to either pass it or give you your money back. They are not engineers.
I had one of the dummies actually ask for a CARB sticker for my snorkel one time. Most of em don't know what they're up to so don't take them at their word. I suppose you could threaten to report them to BAR who administers this nonsense but I'd just get my money back and go next. There is one in the area of McGlincey Lane and Curtner near Camden and 17 that knows what he's about. At least he was there a couple of years ago.

From what I've seen this test was designed to purposely fail as many vehicles as it can. I've never ever seen anyone drive the kind of drive pattern the test simulates. It looks as if it's made to work the vehicle outside of the optimum power/RPM range of what most EFI systems are designed to work within and try to force it into open loop.

I know damn well they are dangerous. They didn't strap the truck down and it was hopping around on the rollers like jumping bean, leading to both inaccurate results and creating dangerous situation. The most I've had one em do was to chock the front tires. I pointed it out to one of them and he said it wouldn't make any difference. Like I said, most of them are idiots.

Just another one of the bennies of living in the PRC, I guess.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vindication! I got a call back from the BAR yesterday. The BAR local rep (cool dude) spoke with the tester to get his side of the story. Ultimately, the BAR rep explained that the test station should have called the BAR for guidance on my issue or, at the very lest, should have referred me to a smog referee. The long and short is the BAR got my $56 fee back. Hopefully this will lend some guidance if another board member ends up in the same boat. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The currnet LC headers have the sensor located down beyond the header collector, although you probably need to lengthen the O2 sensor wiring to reach.
I have an 85 22RE with the LCE header. The o2 sensor is approx 12" behind the collector. Has anyone had a problem with passing the test, and finding out that was the problem?? The first readings were 4.40 for the HC and CO. I re-did the valve adj., fixed some vacuum leaks on the EGR, regapped the plugs, and got the cat HOT. still failed again! The CO reading was now at 2.18...Any help??? On the way home I stopped and got a Bosch o2 sensor and changed it out. And the truck shows no codes.....I'm checking here before I go back with the new sensor...:mad3:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I had a problem passing with my 85 22re with a LCE header, but I was failing on NOx. I tried a bosch 02 and it didn't fix the problem. When hooked up to a scope up to it it was switching too slow. If you ran the engine at like 4000RPM for awhile it would get hot enough to work for a little while. After that I swapped in a 4 wire heated Denso 02 sensor from a 88 22re. This dropped my Nox.

The issue I had sounds different then yours, but make sure the o2 is working correctly and the fuel system is going to closed loop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a problem passing with my 85 22re with a LCE header, but I was failing on NOx. I tried a bosch 02 and it didn't fix the problem. When hooked up to a scope up to it it was switching too slow. If you ran the engine at like 4000RPM for awhile it would get hot enough to work for a little while. After that I swapped in a 4 wire heated Denso 02 sensor from a 88 22re. This dropped my Nox.

The issue I had sounds different then yours, but make sure the o2 is working correctly and the fuel system is going to closed loop.
If I remember correctly from my I.C. engines class, NOx is cleaned up by the EGR system. The O2 sensor controls rich/lean, or CO emissions. NOx is formed when the peak combustion chamber temps go above a certain point, and the introduction of exhaust gas into the intake mix keeps the temps below that point.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
True but high combutsion temps can be caused by a lean condition. The o2 sensor controls mixture and it wasn't getting hot enough to work correctly. This caused it to run lean, giving me high Nox.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ever since i installed my lc.e headers i cant pass smog. what i do : bargain w/ smog person say" if i dont pass how many re-try(s) will you give me" . the guy gave me 5 FREE retrys so i just fail smog once a month and go to dmv and as long as you can prove to dmv your trying they will give you a number 1-12 temporary reg. card. ive been mooching for months now with no worries!

·
Wut?
14,912 Posts
Glad to hear that everything went ok. I would report the guy to the BAR since the header was CARB legal and then take him to small claims court for the fees for having to retest again. He may just settle out of court and you can get your fees back.
Actually you should report him to the smog board, he will have his lisence revoked for 2 years, meaning he has all that $$$$ equipment and no way to use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts