Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Why do people only shoot 3 for a "group"?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I won't discount them. Depending in the target backer, they could very well have nice defined edges like that.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
I've shot 223 at 25 yards and the edges were crisp like the top pic; paper target was taped to cardboard.

Shooting at the exact same target with my son's .22LR, the holes looked exactly like the lower pic.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Holes in the top one look bigger than the bottom and bigger than I'd expect for a .257 bullet in general
With a target stretched tight against something like a plywood backer, the target itself doesn't "spring" back as much with the appearance of a smaller hole like on one against a softer backer such as cardboard.

I'm not saying it's real, I don't care one way or the other. Based on the photo alone, it's not enough for me to be suspect of it. The groups are nothing special and pretty typical.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm not impressed. The top one is a good group, but by the looks of the second group the guy probably got lucky. Remember, everyone on the internet has a rifle that shoots one hole groups.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The quick answer is that you can't tell by a photo and it does not matter.

The type of paper, backing and bullet will give a lot of different "looks".

A wad cutter or even SWC can make holes that look like they were punched with a die, as can different types of paper.

I could also shoot a target at 15' with and air rifle, that would punch a perfect hole and write any dam thing I want on the paper.

"bench racing" the first lier always looses.

BTW I have a .22lr that has shot better than that at that distance. You buy the beer and I'll show you. More than a few stock AR's will put 10 inside an inch all day long. Many "factory" guns have a sub MOA guaranty and "custom" guns shoud out shoot them.

Benchrest shooters use moving backers to "count" the number of shots fired through the same hole. Page 19 here. http://nbrsa.com/Rules/rules_rev37.pdf

This was caused by two factors. The first being someone shooting one shot and then shooting off target for the rest of the shots, one hole group. The second being people that couldn't shoot as well as a guy/rifle that could and the scroll or moving backer was then proof positive that he did it. Note that they are required out to 300 yds at the above link (aka 100yds isn't shit anymore, for some guns).

Could someone shoot two 3 shot groups like that at 100 yds? Sure, the second pic isn't even 1moa.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The backing has a lot to do with how clean the holes are. If somebody was going to fab a group up. Why not make it a really good group? That's nothing special. Specially for 3 shots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts