Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
These pics might help. The arrows indicate direct access to the backbone. Just burn that in and you're done.

Also a couple more pics to help anyone that may be watching. Be sure to position grease zerks correctly. The big joint at the end, point the grease zerk down toward the ground. The little fingers will protect it, and it allows for easy greasing when under the truck. The smaller joint for the upper link, position it upward, and as close to the little 3" piece of DOM as you can get it. That way you won't have to worry about hitting it whenever you set caster.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Tim, one more question... WTF goes here?

Looks like Tim may have had plans for it, but never got around to using the holes for anything? The welded together pictures in Tim's thread don't show that bracket.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Tim, one more question... WTF goes here?

Well.... I made a little 12ga bracket that fits on the top side of that skid plate, and holds my little ARB compressor for air lockers. :laughing:

Seemed like a well protected place that would allow easy air line routing. If you're going the same path, I can send you the file for that little piece.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Looks like Tim may have had plans for it, but never got around to using the holes for anything? The welded together pictures in Tim's thread don't show that bracket.

I actually forgot to have that part cut... I went back and added it a week or so later. Just a couple tacks from the bottom side of those slots is all it needed.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Fast response!

Krazytoy, that could pretty much be used for just about anything you want to stick under there by changing the bolt pattern with an adapter plate to fit the current bolt pattern. It not being structural, you could easily make that by hand and have it fit pretty well.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Fast response!

Krazytoy, that could pretty much be used for just about anything you want to stick under there by changing the bolt pattern with an adapter plate to fit the current bolt pattern. It not being structural, you could easily make that by hand and have it fit pretty well.

Agreed. Also on a truck that doesn't have a 4" exhaust pipe running down the passenger side, you'll have ALL KINDS of room above that skid for activities.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Actually I think the gas 2500HD trucks have two 2.75" pipes in that area (and possibly a catalytic converter), so it might not be that much space, but still some room for activities.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well.... I made a little 12ga bracket that fits on the top side of that skid plate, and holds my little ARB compressor for air lockers. :laughing:
Seemed like a well protected place that would allow easy air line routing. If you're going the same path, I can send you the file for that little piece.
:) That is funny, that is exactly what I thought it was for. Yes, I am planing to run ARB's and that is a great place for the compressor so if you could send me that file I would appreciate it, you can just throw it up on the thread with the other files. I will have 2 compressors, one for the ARB's and one for the Air Bags.
Yes, the gas motors have the Cat's and exhaust running down the other side so there is room in there, but not a lot.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
:) That is funny, that is exactly what I thought it was for. Yes, I am planing to run ARB's and that is a great place for the compressor so if you could send me that file I would appreciate it, you can just throw it up on the thread with the other files. I will have 2 compressors, one for the ARB's and one for the Air Bags.
Yes, the gas motors have the Cat's and exhaust running down the other side so there is room in there, but not a lot.

I'll toss it up there. Works great for holding the little ARB compressor. You've got to clock the compressor on it's side so that everything clears the tcase, but it fits.

I wanted to keep my lockers on their own circuit, so just as you're doing, I use a separate larger compressor for everything else. Hard to beat that plug-n-play harness that ARB has for the tiny compressor. Makes hooking all that up a breeze.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
where are the sawzalling pictures?

one day i hope to have CAD skills like that, just another 11,874 hrs of screen time.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
This build right here is what this site is all about. Mad props to Tim for design and original build then sending plans out -for free-to guys to incorporate into their own builds. Looks like a killer kit for this body style. It's very cool watching Krazytoy put this together here. Good stuff indeed. And yes, CAD skills would be awesome to learn-someday... Blows me away how you guys do that stuff then put it to work and make it work. Very cool, and fun to watch. Looking forward to more...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I have been getting the radius arms welded together and holy crap these things are awesome! They have to be the coolest thing I have ever built; the way everything lines up and fits together is absolutely amazing! These are beef too, each one weighs 35lbs after welding and without the joints, and the skid plate weighs in at a hefty 115 lbs! It is all fairly straight forward; however, I did try and get all fancy on the first one and weld in the backbone, it didn’t work out too well for me and I ended up having to cut a bunch of my tac’s apart because I couldn’t get everything to line up as good as it should. I’ll try and put some pictures to the sequence I found to work the best. One more thing, MAKE SPACERS FOR THE JOINTS! I didn’t at first and quickly realized that the heat will tweek this stuff just enough to where you’ll be fighting the joints.
First lay out the bottom and the backbone, they interlock, can’t F’ this up…

Next put the middle piece in that goes under the upper arm, this has tabs on it to align the outer pieces.

Next put the 2 sides on, note the ¼” spacers I used to lift the 2 sides up fairly even with the bottom plate and clamp it together.

Put the top piece on.

And then the top end by the axle bushing.

I used a 12mm bolt and 2 nuts to spread these plates apart a little during welding, worked like a charm.

Then start tacing all you little gussets on, on the uniball end I installed the set screw and the zerk so I didn’t get any weld in them.

Then the backbone cover piece.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
At this point I went ahead and start welding, and welding and welding and welding… You get the idea, there is a shit ton of welding on these arms and letting them cool in between is critical, seriously, it’s a lot of welding. Then I welded in the side plates last.

Finished product, pure sexy!

Well that’s about it for now, the pile of parts is growing and the pile of steel is shrinking! Few more weeks and I’ll start hacking the truck up.

Tim, I am guessing that the axle bushings are 3.375 wide?

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Looking killer! Hopefully i'll be starting my build soon!
What he said. I should be hearing from the shop that is cutting mine today or tomorrow. I won't be starting on mine right away, gotta get my shoulder surgery done, so I will be out of commission for a few months. I will be watching your progress though and thank you for the pictures, they are going to be a great help.

Jack

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and take those parts (or wait until you get almost everything welded) to get sandblasted in all the nooks and crannies you can't get a wire wheel into. The paint will stick much better and last much longer before rusting and self-etch primer will be more effective that way too.

I only say this because there's a lot of space on those arms that appears difficult to get a wire wheel into.

Progress looks amazing, and I'm glad you're documenting this so thoroughly - it will definitely help others who are getting Tim's design cut as they go along. Plus, it's fun to watch :grinpimp:

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Did you stitch weld the arms or a continuous weld?
Looks like he did approximately 3" stitches if you look at the weld beads closely.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nice work!! And thanks a ton for documenting this so thoroughly. That will really help out anyone else that decides to tackle the project.

One thing that I completely forgot to mention, and I apologize, is Weld Primer. Not sure where my buddy gets it from, but it's basically a primer that you can weld through.
We used a lot of it during my build simply because there are a lot of places that are difficult to get to once fully assembled.

However............... if I had mine to do over again, and wasn't in a hurry to get it off of the shop lift, I would 100% recommend getting those arms and skid plate assembly powdercoated. Mine looks ok with rattle can, but powder would ultimately hold up better.
If your timeline can allow for that, i think it would be a sweet way to go.

Keep up the good work! :beer:

41 - 60 of 180 Posts