Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
JoshC said:
Rocktractor has coordinated an IH run the last few Septembers. I'm sure this sept won't be any different. Sean at Anything Scout expressed intrest in this too. I'm sure we'd get a nice turnout.

How do you all run this trail when it comes to camping? Moab, we run trails all day then head back to camp, same camp everyday...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
You usually camp at different spots each night. Those of you out-of-towners are welcome at my place for last minute wrenching and such as I'm about an hour from the trail.
________
CANNABIS SEEDS

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yeah Hark... One of my favorite parts of the run is pulling into camp the second night at the springs... Set up camp, go jump in the water and wash up, put some grub on the BBQ, and mix a nice cold margarita!

I am trailering in. I'll run to the springs, but when you guys head up caddy the next morning, I'm going to haul ass out to Loon. If I can get Monday off, I might be talked into heading up to observation point before running back home, but traffic on caddilac hill will suck ass.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
JoshC said:
traffic on caddilac hill will suck ass.
HAHAHA :laughing: Doesn't it always when there are large groups. :barf:

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JoshC said:
...I am trailering in...
I will obviously be trailering in as well. The trail is usually run from west to east, right? So I'm thinking I should offload the Scout and park the tow rig somewhere on the east side of the trail. Then the drive the Scout around to the west side. Not knowing anything about the area, does that make more sense than offloading/parking on the west side and driving the trail rig back around to the west side to load back up?

Or do I have it all back assward???? What would you do if you were coming in from the east?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Not only is it illegal to drive my rig on the street, but it's in capable of going over 30mph so I will head in west to east and out east to west.

Those with streetable rigs can go all the way through west to east (loon to tahoe), fuel up in Tahoe and drive back around to loon to load up.

We will all likely stage our tow rigs at the spillway, or pay (i think 5 bucks a day) to leave our tow rigs at robbs, or both. We'll plan in detail as the date gets closer.

I just re-read your post... coming from the east, I'd hook up with someone els coming from the east. Park at the tahoe side and drive your scout to the west side. First though, go past the entrance to ice house... You'll want to fuel up at sly park rd. It's about 3 miles further. Then backtrack to icehouse, drive up it for ever and we can all meet wherever we decide to meet.
Mechanos said:
I will obviously be trailering in as well. The trail is usually run from west to east, right? So I'm thinking I should offload the Scout and park the tow rig somewhere on the east side of the trail. Then the drive the Scout around to the west side. Not knowing anything about the area, does that make more sense than offloading/parking on the west side and driving the trail rig back around to the west side to load back up?

Or do I have it all back assward???? What would you do if you were coming in from the east?

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Id really like to try to make it out there for the run, work looks to be very busy and the only realistic way for me would be in a Right seat. I won't really know if it will be practical for me to fly out until a week or so before the run, but what are the practical logistics of getting from the airport in Sac? to the trail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
chiscouter, I'm sure there will be lot's of people that would be down to pick you up and take you up to the trail. We will be caravaning from San Jose (driving past Sac airport) to El Dorado Hills on Thursday night the 15th. We will sleep there and head up to the trail Friday morning. From there you could ride with anyone. Josh, - I think you got the idea heading back to Loon via the trail. Driving from Tahoe to El Dorado Hills last year sucked. My scout (kind of like yours) was shaking to pieces. I lost a muffler, a rear driveline and was freezing at 2am with no gas stations open. It was cool in a adventure sense, but no thanks this year.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Chi,
If you can get your arse from the airport to the trail, you're welcome to my right seat. As of right now, it's vacant.
What about a flight from Chicago to someplace else? If there was somewhere east of Tahoe you could catch a flight to, I could swing by and pick you up on my way in.

Does anyone else know of a place on the Tahoe side to park my tow rig. I'd like to park on the Tahoe side, then run the Scout around to other side and pop back out at the tow rig...... if possible.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
On the Tahoe side there is a staging area. I'm gonna run all the way through. But I'll probably leave my tow rig and trailer on the Tahoe side, try to avoid the HWY patrol and drive the Scout to Loon.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My Scout is tagged here in Missouri.... don't know what problems I might have with CHP, though.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks like I will have to rig something up for flaps then..... what is the official rule as to how much has tire has to be covered?

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Mechanos said:
What about a flight from Chicago to someplace else? If there was somewhere east of Tahoe you could catch a flight to, I could swing by and pick you up on my way in.
Reno.

Count me in. I got it on my Calender.

·
Registered
871 Posts
reuben said:
CHP's in that area will get you for mudflaps.make sure that you are covered
Are they OK with just mudflaps and not flares?

I'm batting this trip around with the wife, I'd love to make it.. We'll see how things are when it gets a little closer. Right now I'm looking for another 1 ton truck so I don't have to drive the Motorhome down. I'm looking for a real clean 4 door gimmy or chev 1 ton, older model around 3 to 5 thousand range. keep your eyes open Cali people. I don't want a salt infested Utah truck....Thanks

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Mud flaps are a fix-it ticket.... (no $$$, just need a cop to sign off on it after you ad them).

·
Registered
871 Posts
What about the flares? I'm running 38's with 6"s of tire sticking out on either side with no coverage, do they frown on that? I have quick connects on my flaps so I have no probs there..(always run the flaps when on the street/highway, I think 40.00 dollar ticket here) I run the scout 80mph down the freeway here and have no probs so far (knocking on wood somemore)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
harkinoff said:
What about the flares? I'm running 38's with 6"s of tire sticking out on either side with no coverage, do they frown on that? I have quick connects on my flaps so I have no probs there..(always run the flaps when on the street/highway, I think 40.00 dollar ticket here) I run the scout 80mph down the freeway here and have no probs so far (knocking on wood somemore)
Should be ok. I had a mudflap ticket last year coming through Nevada City. Mad some temp flaps and got it signed off. $25 admin fee.

21 - 40 of 329 Posts