Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dr. Don is IN!!!!!!!

Hey Josh, Hey guys
I'm IN! I just found the tread, so sorry for the late notice. Have done a ton of mods to the scout since we went two years ago. SOA, Hysteer/crossover steering, ram assist, 3/4 ton cv driveshafts, truck avenger carb (remember my carb problems), onboard welding, ac outlet (bring your grinders, drills, george forman grills, ladies bring your hair dryers..lol, and if I'm gonna run camp, bring me some gas :D )
Hey Josh, you mentioned this two years ago, but I could use a roll cage party! I didn't win damien's kit remember! I've got a main hoop, need front hoop, back hoop and stuff in between. I have done so many mods, and spent some considerable $$, my wife is complaining :mad3: , so I'm thinking the materials would be something I could handle...and a bunch of beer :D .
Damien, man it would be awesome if you could make it! It would be good to meet you in person since we have only met on the phone. Bring those kids, can't think of a better time for a kid than going wheelin with a bunch of "big brothers" to take your mind off of life's stresses. If I had the $$, I'd buy $2000 more in parts from you to help get you there. :laughing: My rigs getting so pricey, everytime I hit a rock, it sprinkles $100 worth of Scout on the trial. :crybaby2:
I may be bringing a camera crew (why the cage would be handy). Met a guy while hiking in the wilderness and he films for a cable channel. He really wants to go on a Rubicon Run and film it for a cable show. I'll call him and see if that weekend will work, if so IH Scouts will be spewn all over the tv kickin the Rubi's butt. Perhaps we can make a positive example to keep the Con open! Shoot, with tv coverage, perhaps we can get some more sponsers to donate. BTW...Damien, you rock! Thanks for your gift certificate. Man, I wanted to win that cage kit last run! :( We could all run with sponsor decals on our fenders in exchange for some cool parts and mods. :cool2: I'll let you know if the crew will be able to come with us. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
One more thing Josh!

You were running a light kit under your Scout. Someone? who ran the Con with us made them. I want to budget that kit. Could you get me in contact with him. Or if anyone knows a good source for cheap but good lights to run on the undercarriage, I could do the rest...have two degrees in electronics as well. :shaking: Thanks,
Dr. Don

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Hey Josh... or anyone else for that matter,
How about some tips on things one should pack on this run. There might be some things that some of us who have never run the 'con might not think of bringing.

One question in paticular that I do have is about tents. If the terrain is mostly rock as many have said, then I'm sure tent stakes are pretty useless. What do you guys do to secure your tent? tie rocks to the corners instead of stakes or just plop your ass down in it to keep it from blowing away? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Don, I'll pretty much be on vacation. There's no way I want to deal with a camera crew and shit. IMO anyway.

It'll be good to wheel with you again. I do want you to be sure you know what you are getting into though this year. We have pretty much established that this will be a more hard core run vs. a newbie run. Sounds like your rig has come a long way so that shouldn't be a problem... IF you are willing to drive it a little more like a 4x4 and less like a show queen hot rod. :flipoff2:

Did you read the rules for the DandC Extreme Gift Cert BTW? That will get you your cage if you win. :cool:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Mechanos said:
Hey Josh... or anyone else for that matter,
How about some tips on things one should pack on this run. There might be some things that some of us who have never run the 'con might not think of bringing.

One question in paticular that I do have is about tents. If the terrain is mostly rock as many have said, then I'm sure tent stakes are pretty useless. What do you guys do to secure your tent? tie rocks to the corners instead of stakes or just plop your ass down in it to keep it from blowing away? :flipoff2:
Bring stakes and use them if you can. If not just make sure all your crap is in the tent.

We Run the con setting up camp at various spots along the way. It's not like the usual setup base camp and go play around some obstacle, then head back to camp for dinner. When wheelin you have 9 million lbs of camping gear strapped to your rig AND you are unpacking each evening and packing each morning.

If you aren't used to this kind of wheelin... even if you are it still helps.... You should pack your rig for a test fit with exactly what you plan on bringing.

No open fires right now so no camp fire. Bring warm booze if you drink ;) Day's are hot and dusty, nights are cold. I don't know if the mosquitos will be bad then but bring deet anyhow.

Spares? Bring your usual. Whatever your rig normally consumes, bring it. And if you think you don't need it you just jinxed yourself so bring it. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you add?

JoshC said:
Don, I'll pretty much be on vacation. There's no way I want to deal with a camera crew and shit. IMO anyway.
What's do deal with? I'm sure they will be cool, just filming us on vacation having fun. We can set the parameters of the filming if you don't want to DEAL with anything...anyway your call. I won't even call them if you don't want them there. :shaking:

JoshC said:
It'll be good to wheel with you again. I do want you to be sure you know what you are getting into though this year. We have pretty much established that this will be a more hard core run vs. a newbie run. Sounds like your rig has come a long way so that shouldn't be a problem... IF you are willing to drive it a little more like a 4x4 and less like a show queen hot rod. :flipoff2:
I wasn't a newbie! :mad3: It was my third run, however, my Scout was running more like a J**p I have to admit. :barf: As for the show queen hot rod...add these:... Bass + tard. :flipoff2: Yeah, it will be fun to wheel with you too. Let's try not to run over any Samuri's this time. :eek:

JoshC said:
Did you read the rules for the DandC Extreme Gift Cert BTW? That will get you your cage if you win. :cool:
So that's a NO to the cage party...bumber...so I wonder if Damien can send the cage kit over with anyone so I won't have to pay shipping? No sense giving a certificate, cause I know what I want...and I AM gonna win it....bring on the terrain! :smokin:

See you soon,
Dr. Don

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
JoshC said:

My words exactly :laughing:
And I wont be Babysitting this trip :laughing:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rock Tractor said:
My words exactly :laughing:
And I wont be Babysitting this trip :laughing:
Hmmm, I'm sure you meant those camera, non-scout guys, but in case you were referring to Josh's newbie comment, I'll be the first one jumping under you Scout helping you fix it as rare as Scout breakage is. I'll also be the one performing CPR on your post-stroked lifeless corpse after you see me bound up Josh's toughest picked obsticle. :bounce2:
Ha, I'm sounding like one of those guys on fear factor which are always the first to do the walk of shame. :p
Anyway, I'll be in the typical Scouters spirit always willing to lend a hand as anyone who has wheeled with me can attest to. :usa:
Dr. Don

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Dr. Don Palmer said:
I might be coming up Thursday night after work...anyone going to be there? If so where?
Dr. Don
Hmmm..... I dunno. What time are we gonna meet up Friday morning? I'll probably be driving up to Loon Friday morning from the Tahoe area, but I'm not 100% certain right now.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Dr. Don Palmer said:
Ok, it's dropped. No camera guy(s). :emb2:
Dr. Don
Part of me thinks it would be cool to the run (or parts of it filmed) and part of me agrees with the others about not having the film crew there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Surprised.

Snoopy said:
Wow, a good op to show off on a video, and no takers.

I know someone is going to have a camcorder out there, if there is, I want a copy of the festivaties.
That's what I'm saying! We had a pretty good video two years ago, so hopefully we will again.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Indeed, I enjoyed the video from the last time. But this time I don't want to hear as many starters/power steering pumps! :)

If you didn't have it last time, you'll really appericiate Ram-assisted steering. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dr. Don Palmer said:
Hmmm, I'm sure you meant those camera, non-scout guys, but in case you were referring to Josh's newbie comment, I'll be the first one jumping under you Scout helping you fix it as rare as Scout breakage is.
Apparently your memory is not to sharp, I was the one that had to babysit you into the springs :laughing:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Dr. Don Palmer said:
That's what I'm saying! We had a pretty good video two years ago, so hopefully we will again.
That's different...

Dr. Don Palmer said:
I may be bringing a camera crew (why the cage would be handy). Met a guy while hiking in the wilderness and he films for a cable channel.
I don't want to get into it, but take all the home video you want. I just think we have to be particullarlly sensative about the 'Con these days. And sorry, but some dude you met while HIKING, who shoots video for cable TV... Let's just go have fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fried!

Snoopy said:
Indeed, I enjoyed the video from the last time. But this time I don't want to hear as many starters/power steering pumps! :)

If you didn't have it last time, you'll really appericiate Ram-assisted steering. Makes a world of difference.
Ha, both mine. Boiled the powersteering fluid the year before, which is why I installed a line cooler. However, taking the whole steering system apart to rebuild the pump and box as well as tap the box for hydro-assist, I found the pump had about half a cup of fine metal silt in it. The cam that the vains travel over had four groves dug into it. Pretty uneffective pump by that time.

The other was my carb, which has been rebuilt by the studly Micheal Mayben. It works better then when I first recieved it new. But I'll be running my backup carb, a 470cfm Holley TA. Should work like FI, but I'll test before the Con.

All this resulted in serious baby-sittage apparently. :eek:

Can't wait to Con test the Ram-assisted Steering.

Dr. Don

·
Registered
955 Posts
TORC, are you still leaving on the 12th? Also are you taking I-70? If so, how about making a stop in Hays, Ks, so I can get a before look at your rig. Just a thought.

121 - 140 of 329 Posts