Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for pics of a good "Family cage" for a TJ. I am trying to do a couple things:
1) Make a stout cage for Safety
2) Keep all seats covered by the cage for the little one in the back
3) Make it so I can still use the soft top and hard top

I know there are a few cages for sale out there but I would like to see personal ideas. BTW, this is a stock TJ tub so far

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Mine is a CJ7 but you can see what I did. It still needs some more triangulation which is what I am working on now. It's atleast in the jeep and drivable again.

and

I have more pics during the build up.

·
Registered
640 Posts
LAME said:
One T-Bone and I did

Nice !

the cage in my 88YJ was made back in the late 80s by a old dirt track guy.
used 2" tube (same as the dirt track cars at the time) and a muffler bender to make it. Over the years Its had a few hard flops and held up, But I think its time to re/do it. hope you don't mind if I copy some of yours.....

·
Registered
692 Posts
LAME said:
One T-Bone and I did

I think this cage design would be best for having kids in the back. although I wouldnt have my kids n the back when taking a hard or dangerious line where I could flip. I make them and the misses get out and walk. I wouldnt want them inside while flipping. Or anybody in the back while flipping. those fold and rumble seats just dont seem that safe to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
frostytj said:
DOAOFFROAD, can you run the fullsized hard doors with your cage setup?

Doors? Don't have any doors. But to answer your question... No. I can only run full soft doors. Just wanted something different.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
LAME said:
One T-Bone and I did

Lame that is a damned good looking cage. I have been searching for good cages to change mine too next year. I have a TBT sport cage now, but I have the little guys PRP seat being mounted in the back and want something to protect him. I agree he won't go on any hard trails, but I have flopped on 2 rated trails before. :)

·
Registered
6,056 Posts

Rear seat still fits, but should have rear seat passengers out in bad situations:

·
Registered
692 Posts
zachv said:

Rear seat still fits, but should have rear seat passengers out in bad situations:
Zach I heard that you may be making a weld togeather cage kit like the one in the picture. I have your slider's and would be interested in a cage from you. Im a little ways away, so I cant bring it in to your shop.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Do what I did.... Get rid of the Baby momma, use a regular two person cage for you and the kid... :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread but of interest now that the boy is old enough to go for rides.
Anyone got pic's of their family cage? More specifically anyone have one designed specifically to protect the kiddies?
I'm thinking of mounting a single seat in the middle and toward the front closer to the main hoop, so the boy will be closer to the center of the jeep.
Anyone have a link to the right way I should mount the seat?

I like poison spyder cages and bluetorchfab but PS is no longer an option that I know of, and I think bluetorch doesn't make CJ5 cages.

BTW I have a 1979 CJ5.

Flame on! :flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts