Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outgrowing our small car and we are looking for a bigger one, might as well make it a tow rig too :)

Is the chevy tahoe capable of towing? Don't think my truck is tooo heavy and maybe I could get a featherweight (aluminum) trailer or something

Any other rig suggestions? Probably be a used one, looking for the smallest thing that will tow really..

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Brandon - to be honest I was perfectly happy when I was using my 5.0 Bronco to pull my toy and trailer...

The 5.0 was plenty strong for occasional towing use, and you can pick them of for pretty good prices since they are no longer being made. That one was the last year model, and I really liked it :)

Find one with the next size engine up and you could tow no-worries, and still have a relatively "small" tow rig (wondering why that matters though :confused: )

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doing some vehicle comparing here, anyone got a better guess than me on what a trailer (don't have one yet) and my truck weighs?

Truck is a toyota with a 5.0, 435, 60/44 etc..

I don't have a clue what it would weigh??

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
only reason it matters is my wife will be the primary driver and she went from driving a volkswagon but to a vw golf, neither are big! For me I don't care, although a 4 door would be a plus since this one is gonna hopefully be a keeper for a while and we have one kid now and more someday..

Never thought of a bronco, thanks :)

Is there a good comparison web site or something, sheez this is overwhelming :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont do it. Used my wife's Tahoe to pull my boat. A 21' Searay, two rear ends in two years of towing. Go 3/4 ton Suburban.

Check the for sale section, I have a sweet 85 Ford E-350 one ton van that would be perfect for a fam wagon and tow rig.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
My wife was the same way B - she went from a 95 Ford Probe, to the Bronco, to the 99 Supercab short bed F250, to our current 00 CrewCab short bed F250 :p

The 4 Door Tahoe sounds like a good choice - you can get some sub $20k prices on slightly used ones that should be more than enough for occasional towing (I call once a month occasional towing).

Some say the shorter wheelbase is a hindrance, I feel it also has to do with the trailer setup too. That Bronco setup pictured above towed like a dream - honestly. IMHO, I thought the banace on that setup was better than the 99 F250 Superduty - the Bronco just pulled that trailer straight as an arrow, and I guess the rear body section helped with airflow - who knows.

If you don't mind something longer - you can get Suburbans even cheaper - as in the $10k range for loaded ones with 100k miles or so...

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I thought the suburban and tahoe were the same drivetrain - just the tahoe was about a foot shorter? I noticed the avalance comes in 1500 and 2500 models, wonder if the tahoe and burb are the same way?

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was that bronco a 2wd? Yea, once a month sounds about right for towing. Maybe it would be easier to start ruling some out - what about the durango, v8 explorer, ?

I don't mind towing slow, just want to tow safe - whatever that means (Only thing I have ever towed is a military trailer behind my jeep!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go with the Sub. I have two kids and two dogs, the Tahoe is way to small. I tried to tell my wife that when we bought it. The 1/2 ton rears are the same, JUNK!

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Brandon said:
I thought the suburban and tahoe were the same drivetrain - just the tahoe was about a foot shorter?
Both half ton - yes.

Brandon, only you know your towing needs, but I can tell you a 1/2 ton will tow just fine - especially if you are only talking about towing 6-12 times a year. If you are like me and end up hauling something on the trailer at least 5-8 times a month, then 3/4 ton or better starts making sense ;)

For example, this thing was NOT light :p

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I go the way of the suburban I suppose the expedition is about the same?

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I tow my Jeep on a trailer with my '99 5.7L Tahoe. My two buddy's bought the exact same rigs. Collectively no problems to report and they do fine on the highway.

10-11 mpg towing

16-18 mpg commuting

It's got plenty of muscle to tow a single vehicle. Definitely big enough for me and the dog

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Brandon said:
was that bronco a 2wd? Yea, once a month sounds about right for towing. Maybe it would be easier to start ruling some out - what about the durango, v8 explorer, ?

I don't mind towing slow, just want to tow safe - whatever that means (Only thing I have ever towed is a military trailer behind my jeep!)
4wd on the Bronco.

I have towed with my dad's 99 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 Sport w/ the V8 - and I was not happy with it, so IMHO - that rules out the Durango.

I have also towed with an Explorer (4.0L, auto, pulled a CJ5 on a tow dolly from Nashville to Pensacola, FL) - not bad, but tow dollies are not like pulling a trailer either... My opinion - pass on the Explorer.

Have you considered an Expedition? 1/2 ton I know - but the prices on used ones are droping like rocks around here...

As far as towing safe - good trailer tires are a must, trailer brakes, and a nicely balanced trailer will let you tow safely with a 1/2 ton vehicle for once a month towing...

BTW - as you can see the "3/4 ton or better - nothing else" people have already started, and although they have a point to an extent - I am giving you real world experience on some of the many things I have towed or towed with - you can believe who you chose ;)

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I just wanted to add that my Tahoe see's mild towing. 1-2 trip per month.:beer:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know a 3/4 is better but I am lookin at the what will work and double as the family car. Pops has a turbo F350 dually that tows his monster 5th wheel like it is an empty tow dolly but I can live with a little more put put I think.

I think the driveability and ability to load 2 kids and luggage is more important - and that it tows ok.

Definately great info here though..

Shoppin carmax.com right now :)

Not many if any expeditions, could mean they are a better vehicle - tons of Tahoes LOL

I just kinda like the looks of the Tahoe best. I think I will rule out the explorer and although I like the looks of the durango I gotta start narrowin the search..

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Tahoes with the old body style (like mine a '99) are cheap. I got mine, LT 4x4, with 4.10s (you want 4.10s for towing instead of 3.73s, trust me I've seen both), 13,000 miles, for $20,000. Well below blue book, because they just couldn't sell it.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Brandon, DO NOT GET A SMALL TOW RIG!!!! Get a good one to start off with. Get the Expedition before the Tahoe or the Yukon. The Expedition has moer power and tows a hell of a ot better. You have to make sure to get the 2000+ Triton motor. I am gonna go with a 2002 Ford F250 4 door short bed with a PS diesel. Have fun.

Dimitri

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
DO NOT GET A SMALL TOW RIG!!!! Get a good one to start off with. Get the Expedition before the Tahoe or the Yukon. The Expedition has moer power and tows a hell of a ot better.
Can't say I've ever heard the Tahoe or Yukon called small:D

I can't comment on an Expedition, but what did you personally dislike about the way the Tahoe towed:question:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lookin at a 2001 expedetion on carmax right now, although the specs on the 99's I am comparing it to are real close, same HO and 5 torque difference

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
What is in your budget?????
If its 35K and below...

01-02 Suburban/Denali has the new GM 6.0L which tows just fine.
They even have the new 8.0L in the new Suburban/DenaliXL

I'm not sure how well the 95-01 Vortec 454 Suburbans do but I would guess they will do fine.... I think UGET IT had one for sale a while back.....I had a 93 1 Ton w/ the 454TBI and it sucked in every way.

Some of these might be out of you price range since your talking about CARMAX....

:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts