Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now with the new addition to the family I decided to put the flatty under the knife.
Out with the ole 225 buick, and in with the tbi 4.3. and 12" body stretch.
A new 3/16" 2"x4" square tube frame. Wheel base ended up at 99". Defenitly an improvement over the 82".
specs.
95 tbi 4.3
sm 420
model 20 tc. 3.15 kit
44 front, 4.88. detroit
60 rear, 4.88 spool, 35 spline cromos
psc hydro assist
35" ssr's, for sale, (Not sure yet. 36" or 39" Irocs? on allied beadlocks)
Old Pic @ GateKeeper

Progress....

27" bottom of frame, with 35's

Just brain storming for cage Ideas. I saved a bunch of pics of cages from previos searching... I ll see what happens when the bender comes out.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks nice. I have seen alot of people extend the tub in that section, but most cut and lengthen the factory frame. I definitely like the brand new frame instead.

keep this thread updated, I would love to see the progress

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The old frame was all cracked and beat up. I was going to just fix it and lengthen the old one. My bro talked me into the new frame. I think it was a wise choice to make a new one.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I will be watching this thread, as the body lengthening is my next step. I agree on the frames mine was cracked in half, and three more places to boot. If the Matkins frame wasn't a steal, I would have built a frame too.

So question, most people seem to lengthen the tube in the door area because it is easy, but do you plan to use a soft top? If so what are you going to do for doors? Any particular reason you did not lengthen the rear tub? That is where I want my space to be, so I can put in another Mastercraft seat and harness, along with a long cooler.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slowride7 said:
Nice. You've got 27" at the frame now but what about with the t/c are you flat skidding it?
I am going to try and flat skid it. I have not yet mocked up the motor, tranny and tcase. If I cannot get the 20 tc high enough, it will prob. go for sale and get replaced with an atlas. I should have the motor and tcase mocked up this week. I will post up during the process.:D

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter_C said:
I will be watching this thread, as the body lengthening is my next step. I agree on the frames mine was cracked in half, and three more places to boot. If the Matkins frame wasn't a steal, I would have built a frame too.

So question, most people seem to lengthen the tube in the door area because it is easy, but do you plan to use a soft top? If so what are you going to do for doors? Any particular reason you did not lengthen the rear tub? That is where I want my space to be, so I can put in another Mastercraft seat and harness, along with a long cooler.
Hey Pete. I do not plan on running a top. I pretty much only wheel in the summer. And if I plan on winter wheeln, Its a big jacket and gloves.:D And no doors. I lengthened the tub in the door cuz I wanted more leg room. I never really thought about pushing the rear out. It would be real easy to do... Now that I comp cut the rear. I do need all the space I can get but I like my roof rack, when I take the whole family. Dog, kid and all my wifes shit. LOL:shaking:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
nice job!! nice to see someone else make it longer for the family. I added 38" to the tub and 54" overall to the wheelbase. it is big. see SUV YJ in Gen4x4 or search out my name for more pics.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Stretch the back while you are at it, you will need more room trust me, wait untiil there are two to put in the back. Make it as long as a 8 with out the overhang.

Move yet?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CJ said:
Stretch the back while you are at it, you will need more room trust me, wait untiil there are two to put in the back. Make it as long as a 8 with out the overhang.

Move yet?
Hey Matt. Long time no see. I should have planned for the rear stretch as well.
But o'well. By the time I have another kid, I will be able to drive my super duty to the box. Then no need for my Jeep. LOL!

Not moving, AAA is eliminating the Roseville office, So she didnt get the job....and my house is back in the rental market.
:shaking:

PM me your contact info for the woodside addy.

Tell the fam we say Hello.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
geberhard said:
REally interesting, most stretches I have been watching are on the rear\cargo area. What are the wheelbase goals after the stretch? Gotta get a Flatty Unlimited sticker when it is all done :D
WB ended up right at 99"

I like the Flatty Unlimited idea.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
rckme52 said:
Hey Matt. Long time no see.

PM me your contact info for the woodside addy.

Tell the fam we say Hello.

Since you b-day,

It is the house across the street from the one your brother almost bought

1 - 20 of 172 Posts