Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have a family and my wife that keeps bugging me to build something we can all go wheeling in, I pulled the trigger. I hummed and hawed thinking I should get something with a real frame, but in the end I’ve really wanted to build another ZJ.
I paid $1400.00 for a 1996 5.2L V8 full load limited. It has all the option except the sun roof (which I didn’t want) and heated seats (which I will be adding)
The plans are:
-37” toyo stickies
-1 ton axles, shaved.
-radius arms front
-4 link rear
-bumpers
-mild cage

I want to try to keep this as low as possible. 4” lift max.

Popped the bumper off to start cutting. I plan on tubbing the front wheel wells. The last time i did this I could almost fit a 37” with no lift with the axle moved forward.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I know this was said a few years ago, but you did say it.... Still in the plans?
im going to try. I want to pop the interior panel off the doors and roll the windows down see how much i can remove from the bottom of the door. If its worth it then i will do it. if not then i will leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hydro assist, tie rod, drag link. nothing fancy. I know there is a box that turns the pitman arm around 180 degrees. I have the spec on it years ago and i am going to try to dig it up. the front axle needs to go forward about 6"

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that doesn't ring a bell.

is that box any good?

·
Registered
153 Posts
hydro assist, tie rod, drag link. nothing fancy. I know there is a box that turns the pitman arm around 180 degrees. I have the spec on it years ago and i am going to try to dig it up. the front axle needs to go forward about 6"
You mean forward facing like this one? This is from bds lcog kj on 40s build. They said they used a psc built JK box.

Im very interested to see what you do with it cause my next big project will be lowering my wj and moving my axle forward several inches, my only major hang up is steering design and keeping it street drivable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
im going to try. I want to pop the interior panel off the doors and roll the windows down see how much i can remove from the bottom of the door. If its worth it then i will do it. if not then i will leave it alone.
Are you planning on sealing the doors afterward and making a short door or are you planning on plating the lower door as part of the boatside?

I just got my stiffeners and am starting my mini boats/rocker cutouts this weekend, but if you come up with a better solution I may try that. Ive seen tall boatsides before but they always end up welding the doors in to three body(making half doors so they could still get in and out).

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will have to find a way to have the door seal at the bottom. they still need to function since my wife will be driving this half the time and we have to get a car seat in and out of it.

i will be putting in some time on it this weekend to finish off the front inner fenders and i might start the boat sides. we shall see.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got the inner fenders in the front all done.

this is how it was with the bumper cut off.

here is the drivers side done

one side

passenger side

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
both side

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those new plates are level at ride height. they look like they are at a weird angle but they arn't.

they will both be battery trays.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got the rear plastic removed because i'm going to have to modify the inner fenders at some point.

i did some minor trimming (not worth showing)

but this is a 37" tire at ride height, axle woudl need to be moved back 3"

i think i will run 4.5" lift coils to have about 6" of up travel once the fenders are trimmed.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i designed the subframe today as well. peices will be on the waterjet this week.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i made the decision today that i'm going with a cantilever shock set-up for the rear of the ZJ.

i have to call Radflo tomorrow and make sure my bell crank set-up will work with an 8" 2.0 shock. i might have to go with a 2.5" we shall see.

this is going to be fun. i've always wanted to do a set-up like this.

similar to this, except i want the pivot point to be the sway bar.

1 - 20 of 524 Posts