Pirate 4x4 banner

501 - 520 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
i needed a bulkhead for running the three brake lines through the floor of the jeep. this is the supply to the cutting brake and the 2 returns going to the rear axle.

i was going to cut bend and tig weld one...but then i remembered we bought 3d printer. so here we go.

the design

printed from onyx resin reinforced with fibreglass.

here is all the parts with both rubber gaskets.

here is the rubber gasket installed in the top part. the 3 dimples are holes where the brake lines will pass through.

here it is put together.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
i got some more progress on the truck. I got my boatside plastic installed so i needed a rail for my highlift jack as well as a foundation for the fender bars i need to bend up when i start the cage.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #506

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
Still my favourite build on here. How are you feeling?
I'm doing good. each day is different. The recovery from my colostomy reversal has been long and rough.

I went wheeling on Saturday and i'm still feeling it today.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
i needed a bulkhead for running the three brake lines through the floor of the jeep. this is the supply to the cutting brake and the 2 returns going to the rear axle.

i was going to cut bend and tig weld one...but then i remembered we bought 3d printer. so here we go.

the design

printed from onyx resin reinforced with fibreglass.

here is all the parts with both rubber gaskets.

here is the rubber gasket installed in the top part. the 3 dimples are holes where the brake lines will pass through.

here it is put together.

I really like this bulkhead. How does a guy go about getting you to make one for him?

This is a super nice and well thought out rig. Great job!

Hope your recovery keeps looking up too! Good luck

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
I really like this bulkhead. How does a guy go about getting you to make one for him?

This is a super nice and well thought out rig. Great job!

Hope your recovery keeps looking up too! Good luck

I can print what ever you need. Just let me know.

This thing has been burning lots of coolant. I dont have any overheating issues, the temp does fluctuate a lot though.

The last time out i was probably driving for 5 to 6 hours and it burnt a full jug of coolant.

I was going to pull the plugs and take a look then start pulling the top end off it and see whats going on. I feel like a new motor is going to be in its near future.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
well shit. photobucket fixed my pics.

I should be making some more progress on this soon. i bought an upgraded PS pump while i was on the lake bed. My steering has always been good but a tad bit slow. SO this should make a huge difference

·
Registered
17 Posts
so i'm going crazy here not being able to drive the jeep i got complete 1 project and start another.

i got my steel racks up.

and i started to adapt the factory ebrake handles to some CNC cutting brakes for a new center console i will be building.

i still need to sort out a bracket to hold everything. i want this to look factory and be able to use the ratcheting mechanism to hold the cutting brake. i'm hoping if i get pulled over the cops wont know any better when they ask me to pull the ebrake. i do plan on leaving all the factory cables under the car in place so it also looks like i have a mechanical brake.
When the cutting brake (either side) is activated, it pressurizes the rear brake that it is plumbed to. What prevents the brake fluid from going back to the master cylinder, filling the master cylinder vice activating the brake? Is there a check valve involved? Maybe I’m overthinking this, it seems like each side needs to block the flow back to the master cylinder when either handle is pulled.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
When the cutting brake (either side) is activated, it pressurizes the rear brake that it is plumbed to. What prevents the brake fluid from going back to the master cylinder, filling the master cylinder vice activating the brake? Is there a check valve involved? Maybe I’m overthinking this, it seems like each side needs to block the flow back to the master cylinder when either handle is pulled.
You are totally over thinking this. Cutting brakes are a proven thing. This is nothing new. The plunger works the same as a master cylinder. You don't see master cylinders pressurizing they reservoir when you step on the petal do you?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
I love your work, but the stock handles look ridiculous IMO :flipoff2:

i wanted the stock look because i need a factory Ebrake to pass an inspection. So this helps keep things looking closer to stock if i ever get pulled over. Cops like to see things look factory around here. when they seen custom of janky they start handing out tickets.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I can print what ever you need. Just let me know.

This thing has been burning lots of coolant. I dont have any overheating issues, the temp does fluctuate a lot though.

The last time out i was probably driving for 5 to 6 hours and it burnt a full jug of coolant.

I was going to pull the plugs and take a look then start pulling the top end off it and see whats going on. I feel like a new motor is going to be in its near future.
The magnum heads are notorious for cracking between valves and burning coolant.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
The magnum heads are notorious for cracking between valves and burning coolant.
i've done the heads on one of these before for the same reason.

i just am at the point where i'm wondering how much money I throw at this thing before i just say fuck it and do an LS swap.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Heads shouldn’t be much and if you’re fine with the power of the 5.2 I say keep it. While your in there make sure the plenum plate isn’t leaking and cut and port the kegger intake. Get a few more ponies for free.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Heads shouldn’t be much and if you’re fine with the power of the 5.2 I say keep it. While your in there make sure the plenum plate isn’t leaking and cut and port the kegger intake. Get a few more ponies for free.
i did the kegger mod 3 years ago and didn't really notice much if anything. but the motor is pretty tired. I did a quick search for heads and didn't find anything. i'm going to keep an eye out and see if i can find a good deal on them.

501 - 520 of 524 Posts