Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a family wheeler that my wife can daily drive. I've got my '85 pickup for my trips to johnson valley. The question I have is a FJ 55 a decent daily driver or should I hold out for a FJ 60? I found a 1972 FJ 55 with some rust holes under the door and in the rear corners for $1800- runs strong and was debating the qualities of the 55 vs the newer 60. Any comments. I plan to run just 33's with a rear locker maybe front arb. Plan to run trails with the difficulty level peaking at Rubicon or maybe Dusy Ershim level.
Is the 55 or 60 easier to build? Are their differences in birfield/ axle strengths?
Engines, when did they receive fuel injection? Are the carb engines ok for street/ wheeling or does it make a huge difference such as in Toy mini's?
Finally, if you were to buy one of these for your wife, which would you get (for reliability and comfort)? Yeah I live in Los Angeles so it would see a good amount of freeway driving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
55's are the bitchinest... I daily drive my 71 FJ-55, its a pig on gas, but its amazing offroad, goes better than alot of guys BJ-60's that I wheel with! I would go with the 55, but im biast! But thats just my opinion.

Cheers
Tyler
:fj:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I dunno, but I liked my 60 as a daily driver... When I went to TSLs, it was a different story, tho... :D

For MY wife, I'd want her in a 60/62, as they are probably the nicer daily driver, and they had A/C from the factory (I live in south Texas, mind you).

I'd hold out for a 62 (EFI), as passing Cali emissions with a carbed 60 would probably be a royal pain and costly too!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I vote for the 60. As far as a daily driver Any 60 you find if gonna have a 4 speed, 2f and disc brakes, better steering set up, PS, AC, tilt wheel you are going to have to find a 76+ fj55 to get just a few of those and the chances of finding a nice rust free(or even close) are not good, if you do it's gonna more than likely cost more than a similar condidtion 60. 55's have (much)more rust issues then a 60.

Wheeling...they can both wheel good. 60 has a wider track however, axle strengh is the same for both however. 60's all have a better transfer case(split case) than the 55's which had the same case as the fj40.

Looks.......the 55 wins IMOP, but 60's are very classic as well.

60's in a bit easier to build to wheel, more parts available, but that not a big deal.

Fuel Injection not untill the 88 fj62, then you also get an auto trany, I dont think the carb is a downfall of either.

Body parts, much easier to find stuff for a 60.

As Nolen say a 62(88-90) might be something to look at as well, same body as the 60, just a few more creature comforts....PW, PL, FI, Auto.

I drive my fj60 as a daily driver.....no worries, if I had a 78 fj55 in the same shape(mine has terminal rot) I would have no issue with it as a daily driver, my girlfriend drive a 62 as her daily driver.....she loves it.

John H

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the imput, I'm here in Los Angeles so A/C is a must. My wife wants those creature comfort things also. Did the FJ 62 Auto tranny have any problems or should I look for a manual?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
85toyboy said:
Thanks for the imput, I'm here in Los Angeles so A/C is a must. My wife wants those creature comfort things also. Did the FJ 62 Auto tranny have any problems or should I look for a manual?
No real problems. I rebuilt mine in my 92(same trany) at 170,000 do to the kick down cable being out of adjustment for ever, what finaly did it in was one of the trans flushing machines, they can turn or blow the seals(o-rings) on higher mile tranies, better to just change fluid. The trany is our 88 fj62 has 340,000 on it and never has been apart. The A440f auto is used in Dana buses I gather and other stuff much bigger and heavier than a Cruiser.

So I would say no more problems than other autos probley less. I can count on my hand the A440F that I have heard of needing a rebuild.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 1976 FJ-55 has factory AC....

Just an FYI..they are out there =)

·
Registered
66 Buick Riviera GS, 78 FJ40, 82 FJ60, 87 Samurai, 00 Tundra, 07 Tundra CM 4x4, ‘21 Rivian R1T soon!
257 Posts
Either one is great, but for your needs, a 60 is more turn-key.

Most (99%) came with AC, they're quiter than a 55, power steering, etc. They;re just a more refined wagon.

And i love my super swampers. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love a good diesel powered 60. You find me one and I'll fly up to my hometown in Washington and drive up to pick it up!
Crossing the borders not a problem....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i will have to say fj55 look cool as heck ... but my wife is well a girly girl and she steals my 82fj60 to drive to work and leaves me her 02 saturn? and best part she drives 60m round trip i think she likes the way it drives how about ya'll :D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
To make an FJ55 a reliable daily driver for your wife and family you're going to have to spend BIG bucks, most Iron Pigs out there are roached and those that aren't get expensive really quick. Even a cherry pig like Nolen's would need some *modernization* before it could become a daily driver for a family, and by the time you add A/C, an OD transmission and various other sundries, you're into some deep $$$.

I still think an FJ62 is the best of the three for your intended purposes, they can be found in excellent condition relatively easily, won't need much in terms of modification, and once you're done with maintenance and preventive maintenance, you'll have a rig capable of driving cross country without much thought to it.

Accessories are semi-limited and generally more expensive than for an FJ40, but a lot of the features you want in a daily driver are standard.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That FJ55 would be in Medusas area. Bend, OR is 3 hours away from me, it's on the other side of the cascade mountains.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As wife who has driven both a 70' FJ55 and an 88' FJ62 as a DD my vote goes for the 62. The 62 is way more comfy and will only get better with changing the front seats. AC and auto tranny is very nice. The 55 looks great. But don't leave home without the AAA card. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts