Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started working on the Scout rebuild finally, so I thought I'd start a thread for it. I'm sure it will be a long drawn-out affair, but I'll try to keep the thread updated as work progresses.

I pulled the puny little D300 out last night. The next step is to mock up the 203/205 doubler using just the empty cases so I can figure out the new crossmembers. Looks like I'll probably be loosing that nice flat belly with the doubler... oh well, I'll have a little bit of a gut to go with my new fat ass.

The way I have the exhaust tucked up in there, I'm going to have to hack the exhaust off at the existing trans crossmember for now. Then I can bolt up the 203 range box and 203/205 adapter. With those figured out, I'll pull it all back out so I can pull the T19W and swap it with my other T19W built up with the custom mainshaft to drive the 203.

Once the 'new' trans is in, I'll stuff the internals back in the 203 range box and the 205 and bolt them back in. I want to get the t-cases installed first, so I will know where the output yokes are so I can set the pinion angles on the axles when they go in.

Here's the link to the rear axle that gave this build it's name.

Here's the link to the T19 to 203/205 thread

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? You've never seen a D300 sitting on jack before? Ok, here ya go... :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Glad to see your getting some of those parts installed. I'm looking to put a D300 in my Scout:eek: It will give me a bump from 2.03 to 2.62 Plus I can then easy put a STaK or Atlas box in. Unless I find a $50 NP205 32 spline input:flipoff2: :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad to see your getting some of those parts installed. I'm looking to put a D300 in my Scout:eek: It will give me a bump from 2.03 to 2.62 Plus I can then easy put a STaK or Atlas box in. Unless I find a $50 NP205 32 spline input:flipoff2: :grinpimp:
I take it you're talking about using the Jeep tailshaft & housing in your 727 and using a Jeep D300.

Those $50 205's are out there... you just have to be willing dodge tuba toting lads, electrified horses and lay in the snow and ice in 9° weather to get them. :flipoff2:

I did make a minor change of course since the T19/203/205 thread that didn't make it into that thread. I was orgininally going to use the Ford 31-spline shorty input gear in the 205 since I have a Ford 205 to use as donor for it's front output shaft. Then I started thinking... :flipoff2: if for some reason I just wasn't satisfied with 4:1, I might decide to swap in a LoMax 3:1 205 and it is currently only offered with the 32-spline shorty input. To make that swap happen, I'd have to buy a new 32-spline 203/205 intermediate shaft. Since my adapter was still brand new in the box, I called up ORD and Steven Watson said no problem, since the 31-spline shaft in my kit was never installed I could just send it back and he would swap it out with a 32-spline intermediate shaft. So, that's what I did. I had to spend another $97 on a brand new 32-spline shorty input for the 205, but it gives me the flexability to upgrade later.

So, I guess that $50 205 turned into a $147 205. If I add in the price of the $25 Ford 205 for the donor front shaft, it's actually a $172 205. So, now I have about $1200 in my 203/205 setup. Still not too shabby. If I decide to get a LoMax 3:1 kit, that would give me a 3:1/6:1 doubler setup for $2300 (with enough parts left over to assemble and sell the round pattern GM 205 complete). I don't think I could come close to touching a Stak or Atlas for $2300, and IMO, the 203/205 is a stronger setup than either the Stak or Atlas.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Those $50 205's are out there... you just have to be willing dodge tuba toting lads, electrified horses and lay in the snow and ice in 9° weather to get them. :flipoff2:
That was a damn cold day at the pick n' pull.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
jack is a friend of mine, since my rig isn't done . you talked about lossing your flat pan ,is it a clocking prob?
Well, sort of... but I really wouldn't call it a problem. I didn't really want the 203 range box clocked because I want/need the space to the left of the t-cases for exhaust passage. So, I ordered the doubler adapter with the 203 in the standard position and the 205 clocked up about 2" so it's flat.

Here's a pic I stole off of ORDs website showing that same orientation that my setup will be in:

Here's a pic from my T19/203/205 thread that shows the mounting foot on the T19 and the mounting foot on the 203 adapter. You can see that the 203's mount hangs down a little bit lower than the T19. The 203/205 adapter is the same height as the 203 adapter.

In this pic you can see that the 203 actually hangs a little lower than the 203's mounting foot... about 7/8" lower than the foot. So, the lowest point of the 203 is about 1 5/8" below the mounting foot on the T19.

So, the doubler crossmembers are going to hang down a little lower than the bottom of the frame rails, but I won't know how much until I figure how I'm going to mount it all and what bushings I'm going to use.

This last pic shows how the T19 is sitting in the Scout now on the stock trans crossmember. Also shows why the mufflers/exhaust gotta go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks kinda tight, I see what you mean.
The angle of that pic is decieving. There is more room than it looks like in that pic, but I do know the exhaust will have to go and probably some of the floor board will need to be removed as well.
I've completley forgot what you are using for everything, but have you made sure the 205 will fit? My ford one won't fit clocked flat with the trans centered. I clocked it as far as I could (1/4" from frame) and it hangs down a couple inches.

Or are you running some 205 upside down?
It'll fit one way or the other. If I have to, I will just notch out a little of the frame and recess it. Then beef up the area around the notch.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Meh... frames are over rated anyway. Besides... none of the cool kids are using them these days.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pulled a couple quick measurements tonight when I got home. From the centerline of the 205 input to the outermost part of the case on the front output side is approx. 13.5". Scout II frame rails are 28" inside to inside (mine measured more like 27.5", but it's been beat on so who knows). So, if the trans output is centered between the frame, the 205 should just barely fit. I dropped a plumb bob from the trans output and that showed a slight offset to the drivers side, but I don't think the truck is level in driveway so that was pretty much meaningless. Most likely, a minor notch for clearance will take place.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As usual, I didn't get a chance to even touch the rig over the weekend. I guess I'll just have to work on it in the evenings after work. Started mocking up the doubler tonight. The range box fits in the trans tunnel nicely, but a chunk of the floor is definitely going to have to come out to clear the 205. I still need to tear the 205 down so I can use the bare case to see just how much and where to cut the floor. In the meantime I can work on a plan for the crossmembers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 178 Posts