Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Damn it. I forgot to account for the angle of the drivetrain when I built the upper part of the mount for the 203/205. So now I will either have to make up for the angle by building the crossmember at a slight angle or cut the the bushing pads off my upper mount and rotate them 5° and weld them back on. :homer:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Can you cut the edge on each side refit for the angle and weld it up in place?
Yeah, what I'm leaning towards is cutting the bushing pads off of the upper mount with the band saw, refit them to account for the angle and weld them back on. It's not your typical mounting setup... don't know exactly what you'd call it. I guess high-clearance mount for lack of a better name. The damn thing's got wings!

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Fixed my little fuck up. Jigged up the mount in the horz. band saw and sliced the "wings" off of it. Gave them a 5° twist and burned them back on. Now I can get back to the crossmember.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Fixed my little fuck up. Jigged up the mount in the horz. band saw and sliced the "wings" off of it. Gave them a 5° twist and burned them back on. Now I can get back to the crossmember.
Minor technicality, if it wasn't for these, shit would get done alot quicker, ehh. Looks good, do you have a tenative completion date set?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Minor technicality, if it wasn't for these, shit would get done alot quicker, ehh. Looks good, do you have a tenative completion date set?
Right now, it's tentatively set to be completed immediately following the tightening of the last bolt. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Before you tighten that last bolt , how bout some pics? :D
Been too busy working on it and too lazy drag the camera out and charge the batteries. I'll get some of the mount/crossmember when I get it done.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just to further tease War Pony.... I got a littl more work done on the crossmember last night. I had about an hour to dick with it before it got dark. I did some test fitting and realized that I'm going to need to pick up some more steel before I can finish it. Still no pics... :homer:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Edit.. I'm going to need to pick up some more steel before I can finish it. Still no pics... :homer:
War Pony can relate to this. There is a place called Blue Collar Supply locally that sells remnant metal as well as new. I think everytime I go there I grab something and said to my self that would be handy later. I have a few hundred pounds of steel, aluminum, nuts, bolts, ect in my shed:eek: I bought a bunch of stuff last week and only spent $12 bucks, but then changed my mind and added that metal to the collection:shaking:
I think his wife does not let him shop there unsupervised, or was that somebody else I'm thinking of LOL

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
War Pony can relate to this. There is a place called Blue Collar Supply locally that sells remnant metal as well as new. I think everytime I go there I grab something and said to my self that would be handy later. I have a few hundred pounds of steel, aluminum, nuts, bolts, ect in my shed:eek: I bought a bunch of stuff last week and only spent $12 bucks, but then changed my mind and added that metal to the collection:shaking:
I think his wife does not let him shop there unsupervised, or was that somebody else I'm thinking of LOL
I have various piles of stuff like that and DO get around to using most of it at some point or the other.

But.. this.. stopping by the store to buy metal.. it's been a while since I had to do that.

Is it bad that my steel supplier delivers to my house/shop? Pick up the phone and on any Tuesday or Thursday the steel fairy leaves full sticks of DOM and other stuff outside my shop.

Awfully convenient. :D

OTOH, it makes it easy to buy a little more than you need "for later"..

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh, I have a LOT of steel laying around of various sizes and dimensions. I dug through my pile last night, but I just dont have any pieces of 2.5x2.5x0.188 angle big enough to do what I want to do with them. Fortunately, there is a steel supplier about 2 minutes out of the way on my way home. And thay are cash friendly if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You just can't have too much steel laying around, its just not possible :D. By the way what adapter did you go with? was it the 2" up?
Yes. ORD Gen II, GM 203 to GM round, clocked 2" up.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I got to the point where I need to hang the 205 to check for clearances so I can finish the crossmember. Not wanting to have to lug the fully assembled 205 in and out of the truck, I tore the 205 down to a bare case (needed to be done anyhow to mod the shift rail for twin stick, swap the long input for the shorty and swap the front shaft for a 32-spline front shaft). Gave the case a quick coat of paint and while it was drying, I started cleaning up the bearing retainers and covers.

The rear output bearing retainer was pretty heavily corroded due to all the salt baths courtesy of the Chicago public works 1-ton dump truck the 205 came out of. While trying to get the old rear seal out, my dumb ass managed to break the fawkin' retainer. I do have a complete Ford 205, but I don't know if the rear bearing retainers are the same or a mirror image of each other. If they're differnt, I'll need to head to the JY and find another 205 to pull the retainer from. Might do this anyway, since the rear output housing was also quite corroded and pitted. I'd like to replace it too.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It might not your style, but for $265 you can have all new billet parts:smokin:
http://www.northwestfab.com/tcaseacessories.html I've had zero luck finding np205in the JY around here.
Thought about that... but crikey! that's a lot of money for something that never gets seen. Ok, with me driving, it would get seen from time to time. :flipoff2:

I think I'd have to bust out the router again before I shelled out that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
...I've had zero luck finding np205in the JY around here.
I wouldn't say they're rare around here... I come across them from time to time, but usually all I find are the small bearing race track versions. That not an issue for rear bearing retainer and rear output housing though.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Thought about that... but crikey! that's a lot of money for something that never gets seen. Ok, with me driving, it would get seen from time to time. :flipoff2:

I think I'd have to bust out the router again before I shelled out that kind of money.
Well you could just get the retainers for $129 ( I'm good at spending your money LOL) I know tough when you see 205's selling for $100 bucks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
C&M Performance Machine (MAD MAC here on the board) also sells some billet retainers. Theirs are a simpler design that looks like it should cost less to machine. He doesn't advertise a price so I'll have to PM him.

41 - 60 of 178 Posts