Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
My custom rear spring hanger brackets for 2.5" wide springs w/ 3" wide bushings showed up. The CNC bender said the short flange on the end was too short to bend without special tooling. So, I just added an extra 1" to that flange when I had them made. A couple quick 5 second passes with my Evolution circular saw took care of that problem. Now I just need to drill out the other bolt hole in each bracket. I wanted to be certain that both holes would be inline, so I just had one bolt hole cut with the laser and I'll use it as a guide to drill out the other side with the drill press.

I got a couple requests from others for a set of the brackets, but it was too late to add them to the production run. Maybe if there is enough interest, it would be worth it have a second run done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is the 205 supported by the crossmembers? I saw a guy here in that had his pull loose. I am thinking if I do the doubler I am going to use a skid plate for the first time. I do like the way yo did your crossmember attach to the frame, my Scout is four linked frt and rear so it is a little crowded where the crossmembers attach.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
No... the 205 just hangs off the doubler. More than likely, the one you talking about that failed was one of the NWF or other brand two piece adapters. I went with the ORD solid billet adapter for that very reason. ORD states that the adapter is designed for 205 to hang off the adapter without additional support. I guess I'll find out.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
His was NWF and threads pulled out. I am thinking it was aluminum....Robert
Yeah... I saw that thread on the NWF adatper. Two piece aluminum that bolts together. The ORD unit is also aluminum, but it's one piece and there are no threaded holes... all holes are through bolted or the bolts thread into the cast iron cases. It's a seriously beefy unit.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just read the whole thread from beginning to end in one sitting, can't wait to see it finished!!!! Make sure you post some actions pics and video if possible. Awesome build so far I love you skills! You've got alot of them!

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Decided to hit the JY today since I'm off work this week and it's been in the 50's the last couple of days. Picked up a pair of 56" springs off of a '95 Ford. Hopefully those will allow me to move my rear axle back as far as I want to. I noticed that one end of the spring has a large spring eye and the other end has a much small diameter eye. Are all 56" Ford springs like this?.... or did I buy the wrong shit again. :flipoff2:

Also snagged a Cole-Hersee dual battery selector switch off of an ambulance.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Decided to hit the JY today since I'm off work this week and it's been in the 50's the last couple of days. Picked up a pair of 56" springs off of a '95 Ford. Hopefully those will allow me to move my rear axle back as far as I want to. I noticed that one end of the spring has a large spring eye and the other end has a much small diameter eye. Are all 56" Ford springs like this?.... or did I buy the wrong shit again. :flipoff2:

Also snagged a Cole-Hersee dual battery selector switch off of an ambulance.
Wrong shit again:D Maybe my tape is different from yours, I remember the 150 fords being something like 57" long? with a 4" offset. They are the 3" wide ones right? I could be way off as I was thinking of using them under the front as the spring perch on the GM60 is 3" wide. But you have those custom hangers so they must be 2.5" wide. Do they have an offset?
Post a pic so I don't have to ask questions:flipoff2: You got them off a pickup right, not an explorer?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I guess it depends on how you measure them... measuring along the spring, they are about 56.5" long. Measuring straight from eye to eye, they are about 53". Yes, they are 2.5" wide and came from a '95 Ford pickup. They have a 3.5" offset center pin.

So, just what year(s) should I be looking for?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Those look good!! nice arch:smokin: Who cares about the bushing sizes. My Chevy's have different size on each end. But the shackle side is 1.5" so YJ bushing fit. The YJ bushing are cheap and easy to find everywhere too.

Edit.. I don't think the chevy have as much arch. I might look for some of those

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Those look good!! nice arch:smokin: Who cares about the bushing sizes. My Chevy's have different size on each end. But the shackle side is 1.5" so YJ bushing fit. The YJ bushing are cheap and easy to find everywhere too.

Edit.. I don't think the chevy have as much arch. I might look for some of those

According to the chart you posted, I guess mine are 57" springs. Measured along the spring, the ones I picked up are the 4/1, 25x32 variety. On the original application, the short side is the front of the spring. Of course, I would want to turn them around and put the long side forward.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts