Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just pulled an axle and it is PUNY
30 spline, 1.20 diameter
shit the 44 is 1.31 dia :).....although it does neck down at the splines.

the BOM on the diff tag is:

what da fawk? anybody know?

was told the HP44 and 60 were both out of a 78 ford 3/4....YEAH RIGHT :)

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
should have bought a 14bolt if we are talking rear axles. My buddy discoverd the same thing when he bought a 60 and realized the axle shafts are smaller than d44s. Converted me over now i have a 14bff waiting to go in my heep.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just fawkin GREAT

the BOM on the front HP44 is:

neither of these BOM numbers show up on the chart i am looking at??????

http://www.louisvilleoffroad.com/Dana-BOM-Numbers-sp-1.html

next question................

will 35 spline 1.5" shafts fit in this housing...........assuming of course i am gonna change out the carrier with a detroit and lower gears :)

sh!t, fawk............i am dissapointed. i been workin on the 44 for two weeks now and just today decided it was time to yank out a BIG 35 spliner and wah-lah!

shit, my 8.8 is bigger than this punk. WHY did dana dump a toothpick in there........8 lug and all?

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
next question................

will 35 spline 1.5" shafts fit in this housing...........assuming of course i am gonna change out the carrier with a detroit and lower gears

Not unless the spindle bore is 1.600

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I got a 79 f250 dana 60 in my TJ, I got it for free, bored the rear spindle to 1.625" (80$), bought alloy 35 spline shafts (300$), sold the stock rear shafts, carrier and gears on ebay for 150$. it's lighter and has more clearance in stock form than the 14b, same gears set-up bearings and shims as the front. I also put 5.38 and ARB, which wasn't available at the time for the 14b.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm probably just gonna scrap this one and get another. i have located a 60 and a 70.....and YES>.i will pull an axle before i buy it. i was under the assumption that ALL 3/4 ton 8-lug D60's were 35 spline, 1.5" dia shafts :)

WRONG

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
no rear d60's are 35 spline unless you upgrade tha ti know of. d70 on the other hand is stock 35spline.

jiMMy

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Jerk said:
no rear d60's are 35 spline unless you upgrade tha ti know of. d70 on the other hand is stock 35spline.

jiMMy

ok.........but this 30 spline CAN'T be the same as the rest of the 60's with so small a diameter shaft can it? it is full float, 8 bolts removes it from the hub and slides right out. soooooo easy to have pulled it before i bought it :)

so what 60 axles have stock 1.5" dia shafts? any? maybe i'm all wet here. why is my rear 60 smaller than the front 44? i don't get it.

somebody pleaseeeeeeeee explain this sh!T :flipoff2:
i want to learn :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
just bore out the spindles and upgrade to Yukon 35 spline 1.5" shafts ($80 each I think). Good money spend for a good rear axle and decently strong housing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
no rear 60s are 1.5" 35 spline (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The shaft is smaller because the weight of the vehicle is on the tubes and not the shafts like on a semifloat D44. On a FF D60, the tube and housing is supporting the weight of the vehicle, not the shafts. The D60ff shaft has only one purpose, propulsion, a D44 semi float has 2 purposes, support weight of vehicle, AND propulsion. Thats prob. why the D60 shafts are a little smaller

·
Registered
483 Posts
only way you get 1.5" shafts and 35 spline stock is on a D70 rear. Good luck. it'll be easier to bore out and get NEW shafts from Yukon (and new carrier)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KJ4Me said:
only way you get 1.5" shafts and 35 spline stock is on a D70 rear. Good luck. it'll be easier to bore out and get NEW shafts from Yukon (and new carrier)

ok......so i'm starting to feel a little better from what you say here. i was just expecting to pull out a shaft that doesn't exist. i thought i had bought a FLUKE of nature or sumptin.

so my buddy has a 70 that i am gonna look into. they are a bit heavier than a 60 right? i hava a 60 front in my dodge with the 70 rear.........it do look BIG :eek:

maybe a 44 front and 70 rear will be a little lop-sided with respect to strength. i had been looking for a HP60 front but then this set of axles came around and i bought them.

what to do....what to do........... :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I thought there where some HD 60 rears that had 35 splines in them. Like the dually ones or something like that. I have a rear that I think was out of a 1 ton 78-79 Ford, and that has the 30 splines. I found a couple D60 dually rears, havta pull the shafts and take a looksee. They are pretty wide, so would havta shorten 'em.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Just bore the spindles and get yukon shafts. Talk to Hackle, he just has hid bored somewhere in phoenix, not sure if you can find someone in tucson to do it or not???

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
there is such thing as a stock FF 35 spline axle, they are just extremely rare. Your axle is surely from a 1977 Ford F350 with 30 spline FF axles. the front is from the same vehicle, it also has 30 spline axles and the truck was a Full-time 4wd ;)

good site for BOM info is www.drivetrainsuperstores.com

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
The stock 35 spline D60 rears were found in late 80's GM cube vans. I have one in my garage ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts