Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a box in my shed that i don't get into much and this year the mice seem to have taken up residency. There are a lot of things that I will tolerate but the stink of mouse is just not one of them. The little things destroy everything. I have never had a problem like this.

I spent about 6 months in South Korea this year and didn't go into that shed at all. I think the lack of activity down there has a lot to do with it. But still I went through everything and vacuumed out the drawers last week and tonight when i went back in there there was a huge nest in the first drawer I pulled open.

I have tried the Decon bate bars, sticky pads, moth balls in every drawer and I just don't know what to do with the little fuckers. There is no card board or shop rags for them to hide and build nests out of. Its a tool shed full of oils and paint. There really isn't anything besides shelter in there. The piss, shit and rust spots on my tools was enough to drive me insane. I just want to get rid of them.

What do you use? How do you keep them form coming back?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Shop cat.

he is feral, I have a "cat door" in the garage door, bribe him with peperoni and someplace to crash, no mice.....no anything :laughing:

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Shop cat.

he is feral, I have a "cat door" in the garage door, bribe him with peperoni and someplace to crash, no mice.....no anything :laughing:
arrrgh, the 2 feral "barn cats" i scored were just for this purpose. wouldn't you know, shawna won't let them outside (doesn't want them to get hit by a car or eaten by a coyote) so they stay inside and knock every damn thing over and claw shit up. i think they've done at least $200 in damage in the last month.

back to the topic- get a cat and don't let your wife snuggle with it.:evil:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Go to your local feed store and look for Hawk rat killer. It comes in a package of green bait bars or pellets. That always works well for me out in our dog kennels where I would have rats in the rafters. This is much stronger stuff than the generic Decon bars you get at Wally world.

There are basically two kinds of rodent killers. The anti-coagulants like Decon or Kawk and then there are also neurotoxin ones. I can't remember any brand names for those types but they are also found at a feed store. The anti-coalgulant ones will cause internal bleeding, and slow death, the neurotoxins are much faster.

This is important if you have dogs or cats around that you don't want to kill or make very sick. The anticoagulants are safer around domestic animals, as an animal will have to consume a signficant amount of the bait (~ 1lb for a large dog) to cause death. The neurotoxin baits will cause death with much smaller amounts, like a couple bites.

I use Hawk in the kennels and wire it to the rafters with fine tie wire to keep the rats from carrying it off or dropping it in w/ the dogs.

That was several years ago, and now I have about 6 feral cats that roam the property and I haven't seen rats or mice in quite a while :)

John

·
Registered
551 Posts
I keep hearing that bounty dryer sheets work very good... anyone tried these?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
At my old job.. I was grabbing a wrench out of my box... Closed the drawer and had a possum staring up at me lol. Thankfully he wasn't IN my tool box!

Like suggested.. Get a cat. Just don't leave the windows down in your vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I keep hearing that bounty dryer sheets work very good... anyone tried these?
I'm not saying it hasn't worked for someone on here, but I've never met anyone that this worked for. I've done building maintenance for ten years and the only was to rid mass amounts of mice is with mass amounts of legit poison; we have a local exterminating company that also has a small store, shit they sell works awesome, not sure I could tell you what it is though. small nests we just trap and dispose. the cat option also works.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Havoc is what I have been using. The first day I put a small box full in the garage and it was empty the next morning. I refilled it, 3 Weeks later I haven't seen a mouse and the box its still full.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
For what ever reason the Moth balls seem to work for me.

Then again I don`t let my boxes sit for 6 months at a shot.Then there are much better options to build a nest then a tool box.

I do put out food for them last time I bought a bag it was $11.00 for a 50 pound bag

Then again they don`t really bother me I refuse to use poison or have anything to do with a cat

·
Registered
738 Posts
I eat my breakfast on my toolbox at work every morning. Lately, I've been finding mouse nuggets on my toolbox and work bench. I better stop eating pop tarts at work, because brake clean is getting expensive.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Mice need shelter, food, and cover. Eliminate two of the three and most likely they will disappear.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
You say the wife won't let the cats outside. Well, carry them to the shed and lock them in there with the light on. no coyotes or cars in there

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
arrrgh, the 2 feral "barn cats" i scored were just for this purpose. wouldn't you know, shawna won't let them outside (doesn't want them to get hit by a car or eaten by a coyote) so they stay inside and knock every damn thing over and claw shit up. i think they've done at least $200 in damage in the last month.

back to the topic- get a cat and don't let your wife snuggle with it.:evil:
i accidently closed up my barn cats entrance to where it was living and have noticed an increase in piss and shit trails :shaking: maybe next year we`ll plant some catnip and leave tuna cans for them :eek: although that sounds like it could turn out pretty bad :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eviction- Round 2

Getting a cat is not an option right now. I went by the local Agway and picked up a 4lb bucket of "Tomcat". I figured that should be close enough to the real thing. For $21 I think it will be cheaper in the long run too. :)

They also had some other stuff (I forget the brand name) that the guy recommended to use to keep the mice out of the drawers. When I asked him what was in it he very proudly said it was mostly "all natural peppermint oil" and a few other things. It was over $25 for a tiny pack. I think I will stop by the grocery store on the way home tomorrow night and pick of a bottle of extract to see how it works out.

Nearly all the Decon bars are GONE. A few in the more out of the way spots have been whittled down. I put a whole pile of the Tomcat bars in one corner where they seem to travel a bunch.

I removed the nest I found yesterday and cleaned out the drawer again. Threw a bait bar in there for good measure. I will check it again in a few days and see if they show up again.

Once the disgusting little beasts are gone, the next thing will be getting the stink out of everything.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Good luck with it, I think the Tomcat is about the same as Hawk. It will take about a week before you will know whether it works.

John

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I have three shop cats. Lazy, well fed shop cats.

I also have mice.

Every once in a while, the cats get a mouse and we don't see any or awhile, then, we'll have mice until the cats get tired of them eating their food.

Now if I could get the cats to use the box I'd be all set. Then again, the reason they aren't in the house is refusal to use the box:eek::laughing:

Get a cat, don't feed it much, keep it hungry and you might find your mouse problem gone.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I removed the nest I found yesterday and cleaned out the drawer again. Threw a bait bar in there for good measure. I will check it again in a few days and see if they show up again.
Don't put bait in places you don't want them to go

1 - 20 of 32 Posts